Perfect Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Get the secret tips and tricks to making the most PERFECT Rice Krispie Treats recipe. Kid and adult friendly! THICK AND CHEWY!
Click HERE to PIN IT for later!
Years ago I shared a story about my favorite treat. How sometimes when I make a batch of krispie treats I have eaten the whole 13×9 before my kids even arrive home from school. I’ve made myself sick many times overeating this treat. But it’s the perfect back to school snack! For me.
I have no willpower. The lure of marshmallow is too powerful. I am weak.
But, it’s not ANY rice krispie treat that has this effect on me. For instance, store bought individually wrapped treats? YUCK. Barf. So fake tasting.
Or I’m sure you’ve experienced the Rice Krispies Treat Square that has been pressed into a crunchy square of grossness. Too hard to enjoy, not the soft and chewy treat you’ve come to love over the years!
I love Rice Krispie Treats so much that I’ve created over a dozen flavors….from Fluffernutter, or Cherry, or Pistachio….to Peppermint, Cinnamon Roll, and PayDay. I’ve even got these adorable TURKEY Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving!
But, in the end, it’s the classic RICE KRISPIE TREAT that draws me in. The biggest question is how to spell it. Some people say Rice Crispy, Some say Crispy Rice, some say Rice Crispies. Either way, you get the point!
How to make Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
Step 1: Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large sauce pan, on medium heat, melt butter. Once melted, turn heat to low and add in all but 1 cup of the mini marshmallows.
Stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted.
Step 3: Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Add cereal and the remaining mini marshmallows.
Step 4: Pour into prepared baking dish. Press gently with fingertips until spread. Set one hour. Cut and enjoy!
Tips for the BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe
- Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. This way you don’t have to worry about extra butter on your fingertips, or the other extreme of your bars sticking to the pan! Use binder clips to help the parchment paper stay in place.
- Use fresh marshmallows. Seriously, they make a difference. Don’t grab that bag that’s been in your pantry for months and months thinking it will be okay since you are melting them. It won’t be okay.
- Add my secret ingredient. VANILLA EXTRACT. Not imitation vanilla, but PURE VANILLA extract. It makes a difference in creating the illusion that you’re using homemade marshmallows.
- Toss in some extra marshmallows with your Rice Krispies cereal. This adds a whole dimension of chewiness!
- DO NOT (I repeat) DO NOT press these bars into your pan firmly. Using your fingertips, GENTLY press them in just until they are spread out. The harder you pack them in, the harder they are when it’s time to eat them!
- The trick to pressing them in your pan without sticking to your hands is to run your fingers in water, shake off the excess, and press. Voila. No sticking!
- Store in an airtight container for two days. If they last that long, I’d be shocked! ENJOY
FAQ about Rice Crispy Treats
- Why do my rice krispie treats get hard?
A: Could be many factors. Starting with stale marshmallows or cereal. Keep heat on low while adding marshmallows. And finally, do NOT press too firm when you’re adding the treats to the pan.
- Do Rice Krispie treats need to be refrigerated?
A: Absolutely NOT. It actually could make them hard as well (see above question). Keep them covered at room temperature for best results.
- Can I use other cereal to make rice krispies treats?
A: Yes! Cocoa Krispies and Fruity Pebbles are both great options. You could also use Cheerios, Golden Grahams, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!
Can you freeze Rice Krispies Treats?
I would say no. While some people will tell you they have had success with this…I’m a purist when it comes to the rice crispy treat.
I want it to taste amazing. And freezing it will result in a stale, less than stellar dessert.
Plus, these are super easy to make, so why not just make them fresh!
If you’re crazy about Cocoa Krispies and want a thick and chewy Chocolate Krispie Treat Recipe, enjoy! Same great texture with a chocolate flavor!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
MORE RICE KRISPY TREAT RECIPES:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
- Almond Joy Rice Krispie Squares
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispies Treat
- Biscoff Rice Crispy Squares
- Krispie Treat Fudge
- Neapolitan Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Krispie Treats
HOW TO MAKE ORIGINAL RICE KRISPIE TREATS VIDEO:
Perfect Rice Krispie Treats:
Get the secret tips and tricks to making the most PERFECT Rice Krispie Treats. Kid and adult friendly!
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 oz mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in all but 1 cup of the marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the cereal and the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press GENTLY with your fingertips just until completely spread out (the harder you pack them in, the harder they are to eat).
- Allow to set, about 1 hour. Cut and enjoy!
- Cuisinart AMB-9SCK 9-Inch Chef's Classic Nonstick Bakeware Square Cake Pan, Silver
- Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper (SmartGrid, Non-Stick, 50 Square Foot Roll, 3 Count)
- Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Chef's Knife
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 300 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 139mg Carbohydrates: 57g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 31g Protein: 2g
**This recipe for Perfect Rice Krispie Treats was first published on Shugary Sweets on October 27, 2016 and has been republished in May 2018.
Original Rice Krispie Treats recipe with all the tips and tricks for making them thick and chewy!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**