These delicious Buffalo Chicken Tacos are a cinch to put together! Cook up some shredded chicken in your slow cooker tonight, then whip up some of my homemade bleu cheese dressing!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Most of you have eaten Buffalo Wings and Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches. Have you ever thought to put that delicious buffalo chicken into a taco?
This Buffalo Chicken Tacos recipe is a fun twist on a game day classic! And it’s a great hands-off meal that’s perfect for dinner on busy weeknights.
I love cooking chicken in the crock pot to have an easy protein ready to go. And with so many ways to serve shredded chicken, we never get tired of eating it!
Tossing it with Buffalo sauce and scooping it into tortillas turns ordinary chicken into an exciting meal!
- Tangy, spicy buffalo flavor is perfect in these spicy chicken tacos!
- Shredded celery and carrots add crunch and an easy homemade bleu cheese dressing bring the classic flavors home.
- A delicious new way to do taco night!
If you love that tangy, spicy buffalo flavor like we do, be sure to try Buffalo Chicken Dip and Buffalo chicken pasta too! And you can make our delicious dip in this crockpot with our easy slow cooker buffalo chicken dip recipe!
- Chicken – We’re putting our slow cooker to good use to cook the chicken for this recipe. It’s so easy and hands off! If you already have leftover shredded chicken, skip that step and proceed with the recipe.
- Buffalo Sauce – I use Sweet Baby Ray’s buffalo wing sauce. Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce or another brand would work fine, too.
- Sour Cream – This is used for the blue cheese dressing to go on the tacos. You can substitute plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Tortillas – Feel free to use your favorite kind of tortillas for these tacos, whether that’s flour or corn, soft or hard shell.
- Blue Cheese Dressing – Our homemade blue cheese dressing is perfect for buffalo chicken wings and dip. Homemade Ranch Dressing would also be a delicious substitution if that’s what you prefer.
Step 1. Cook the chicken. Place a few boneless skinless chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Put the lid on, set to “low” and let the chicken cook for 6 hours.
Step 2. Make the dressing. Combine the sour cream, mayo, salt and pepper and blue cheese. Mix until combined and refrigerate one hour or more.
Step 3. Shred the chicken. Use two forks or your electric mixer (see below) to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
Step 4. Add the buffalo sauce. Mix the buffalo sauce in with the shredded chicken until combined. Heat for another 15 minutes.
Step 5. Assemble the tacos. Add the shredded buffalo chicken to a tortilla. Top with shredded carrots and celery and a spoonful of blue cheese dressing. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Shredding chicken: After cooking it all day in the slow cooker until it’s super moist and tender, you can toss the chicken breasts into your electric mixer with the paddle attachment for a minute or two. This makes shredding chicken so quick and easy! You can also make Instant Pot shredded chicken in minutes!
- Heat the flour tortillas in the microwave or on the stove top, if you like, before adding the buffalo chicken to each one.
- Serving suggestion: Serve this taco with a big wedge salad on the side. You’ll love how well they go together.
- Meal prep: If you like to prep your meals for the week at once, shredded chicken is an ideal choice! Make a lot of plain shredded chicken over the weekend and keep it in the fridge to use in all kinds of recipes throughout the week.
Any extra shredded buffalo chicken, once cooled, can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
Yes, the chicken freezes great! You can put the shredded chicken – either plain or already mixed with the buffalo sauce – in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Label and date it and freeze for up to 5 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
This chicken works well in burritos, wraps, sandwiches and on salads for a hassle-free lunch. Or use on a rice bowl along with some crunchy veggies – don’t forget the blue cheese dressing!
What are some of YOUR favorite slow cooker meals?
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups buffalo wing sauce I use Sweet Baby Ray’s
- 1 cup shredded celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 12 tortillas
- 6 ounce sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken breast. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (up to 8 hours if you don’t open the lid).
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, pepper and salt, and blue cheese. Mix until combined and refrigerate one hour or more.
- After 6 hours, remove chicken from cooker and shred (I use my kitchen aid mixer with paddle attachment on low). Return to the slow cooker and add in buffalo wing sauce. Mix until combined. Heat another 15 minutes.
- To serve: add shredded buffalo chicken to tortilla. Top with shredded carrots and celery and spoonful of blue cheese dressing. ENJOY
- Any chicken that doesn’t get devoured in taco form right away can go in the fridge in a tupperware container. It’ll keep for 3 or 4 days this way.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. Leftovers also work well in burritos, sandwiches, and on salads for a hassle free lunch.