Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 21, 2013

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: a healthy dinner made with ground turkey. Lots of flavor! #stuffedpeppers #healthy #dinner www.shugarysweets.com

Tell me you all are enjoying the dinner recipes I’ve been putting on the blog this year!  Today I’ve got another delicious, healthy option for you! It’s no secret that I love the spice, cumin. Seriously love it. I try it put it in as many dinners as possible. Today’s stuffed peppers are no exception!

Normally I would make my mom’s version of stuffed peppers: green peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, minute rice, tomato soup, salt, pepper and egg. Delicious? Yes. Healthy? um, no.

I knew I wanted to do a healthy spin on my favorite dinner. We are trying real hard to eat healthier this New Year! When I saw the can of Classico crushed tomatoes at Walmart, I knew where I would go with this recipe. Mexican inspired! With cumin of course.

I added jasmine rice to my healthier version. With 4 active kids they need some carbs in their meal. But if you’re watching your carbs, feel free to use less, or skip the rice all together (or try using quinoa)!

I also added in some black beans and sweet corn to give these stuffed peppers more of that Santa Fe feel! The crushed tomatoes helped bring all the ingredients together. I was surprised at how fresh they tasted, even though it’s tomatoes from a can! Delicious! Did you know Classico Canned Tomatoes are 100% all natural, packed fresh with no added preservatives?

This was a bad year for my garden’s tomato crop and I have relied on canned tomatoes this winter to make my favorite chili and spaghetti sauces. Classico canned tomatoes have come in handy by providing such a great tasting product. Especially since we use tomatoes at least once a week! Classico’s website is filled with some other great recipes too! Give them a try!

This recipe makes a large pan (8 peppers), perfect for company or a big family (like mine)! Feel free to make a smaller portion by cutting the recipe in half! ENJOY.

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

Yield: 8

A healthier version of stuffed peppers, filled with flavor!

• 3/4 lb ground turkey breast
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 can (28oz) Classico Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1 can (15.25oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15.25oz) sweet corn, drained
  • 3 cup Jasmine Rice (cooked)
  • 8 fresh Sweet Red peppers
  • 1 cup reduced fat Colby Jack cheese
  • 2 green onions, sliced

1. Wash red peppers and slice the tops off each pepper. Remove the seeds. Stand each pepper up next to eachother in a large baking dish (13x9).
  2. In a large skillet, brown ground turkey until fully cooked. Drain. Return to skillet. Add cumin, salt, tomatoes, black bean and sweet corn. Simmer about 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cook Jasmine rice according to package.
  4. Add cooked rice to skillet, combining completely. Remove from heat. Fill each red pepper with turkey mixture.Cover dish with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and to with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion pieces. Serve and enjoy!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

**I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Classico #cbias #SocialFabric #CookClassico

Linked To: Talent Show  Trick or Treat  What’s cookin  Wrap Up  Sundae Scoop

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel January 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I love how stuffed these are! And great alterations from your mom’s version!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel recently posted..Barbecue Chicken French Bread PizzaMy Profile

sally @ sallys baking addiction January 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I am most certainly enjoying the dinner recipes so far, Aimee. While I obviously have a huge sweet tooth – I need dinner too. :) I haven’t made stuffed peppers in ages. The black beans and corn are a wonderful addition – “santa fey” salsa is my favorite kind, full of both beans and corn and peppers. I would love all of the chunks and textures in these!
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..homemade Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m glad you enjoy the dinner recipes Sally. Definitely not “shugary” but hopefully others find it helpful too! To see that we do sometimes eat healthy!

Michael Ann January 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Honestly, these are the BEST looking stuffed peppers! I am sooo going to make these, thank you!
Michael Ann recently posted..Granola SconesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Awww thanks Michael Ann! They were not only pretty, but delicious too!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama January 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

These are some tasty looking peppers!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama recently posted..French Onion Soup Macaroni and CheeseMy Profile

Jenn@eatcakefordinner January 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I say, keep the dinner recipes coming!! Love red peppers and this stuffed version sounds fabulous.
Jenn@eatcakefordinner recently posted..Diana’s Cheeseball – My FavoriteMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Jenn, I plan on keeping the dinner recipes coming for the next couple months. You all seem to like them :)

Emily @ Sweet Bella Roos January 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm

These look very ‘Santa Fe’! We are big fans of cumin in our house as well. I’ll take mine with extra cheese please (cheese= dairy= good for you… right??)
Emily @ Sweet Bella Roos recently posted..Sweetheart Sandwich CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Yeah I like extra cheese too. Sadly my thighs do not!

Medeja January 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Sounds yummy! I would probably make it just for myself :)
Medeja recently posted..Mocha Skonio Brauniai / Mocha BrowniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

For one person? You may want to scale the recipe back, otherwise you will be eating stuffed peppers for weeks!

Lacey June 24, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Would you cut the bake time in half too? This is probably a duh question but want to make sure.

Julie @ Table for Two January 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

these look SO good. they look healthy too cause you omit the carb part that is usually wrapped around the filling. love it!
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Cranberry White Chocolate CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Julie, this is about as healthy as I get! haha!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I really, really love stuffed peppers! They are one of my go-to dinners. This post reminds me it’s been awhile. Now I know what I’m making next week!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..White Chocolate Macadamia Magic PizzaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

I go on droughts where I never know what to make, then I remember I have a whole reserve of favorites to draw from!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Skinny Cherry Cupcakes for Valentine’s DayMy Profile

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme January 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I have not had stuffed peppers in so long. These look fabulous! I am definitely adding these to our dinner menu!
Jennifer @ Mother Thyme recently posted..Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins (dairy free, egg free)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I had forgotten how much I love them. I even love them with a healthier twist!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

We love stuffed peppers…I love that you made these with the red peppers. Very striking! The funny thing is that I have a very similar recipe photographed and just sitting on my computer…maybe one day I will get around to sharing it. I just love how much we think alike with food!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Trick or Treat TuesdayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Of course you do! can’t wait to see your photos!!!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain January 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh I love stuffed peppers! And these look to die for <3 Well, not die, since then I couldn't eat them. But still. Very yummy. And I love the change of peppers to red – a nice colorful pick-me-up to all the cold weather we've been having :)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Oreo Cookies and Cream Cake DoughnutsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thanks Jess. I love the taste of red bell peppers so it was a perfect fit!

Lori @ RecipeGirl January 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm

My Mom used to make these when I was little. Time to make some for me!
Lori @ RecipeGirl recently posted..Canon Rebel T3 Camera GiveawayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Enjoy Lori!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking January 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I love stuffed peppers and these look mouthwatering, Aimee! Mmmm!

Tonia@thegunnysack January 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Aimee…these look outstanding! I am going to have to try making them!
Tonia@thegunnysack recently posted..White Chocolate M&M Valentine’s Day Cookie BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Tonia! They were quite delicious. And healthy too!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm

We love stuffed peppers! I love the addition of corn and black beans!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Old Fashioned Sour Cream CookiesMy Profile

Mackenzie January 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Must try these soon! I used the Crushed Tomatoes for my Albondigas soup last week and they rocked! I can’t wait to try them in these peppers! Great recipe Aimee! Thanks! :)
Mackenzie
Mackenzie recently posted..The Best Homemade Albondigas Soup {Mexican Meatball Soup}My Profile

Holly Lefevre January 24, 2013 at 1:45 am

These are some of my favorite flavors and I love putting things in peppers (and my daughter will flip because the new American Girl doll is from Santa Fe)
Holly Lefevre recently posted..K-Cup Valentine Upcycle (Guest Post: I Should Be Mopping the Floor)My Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout January 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Oooh! These look amazing! Pinned!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Valentine’s Day Homemade GumdropsMy Profile

Alison January 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I keep seeing stuffed peppers. These are definitely going on my to make list!
Alison recently posted..Wholesome Wednesday: Kale PestoMy Profile

Sylvia / Happines is homemade January 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I’m making stuffed peppers on my birthday dinner tomorrow :) Yours look soooo delicious!

Tumbleweed Contessa January 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh delish! I can’t wait to try them. We have featured them here: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/weekly-rays-of-sunshine-12-and-13/
Tumbleweed Contessa recently posted..Weekly Rays of Sunshine 12 and 13My Profile

Rebekah February 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

These look so good. I’m am making them tonight. I have a question though. One of the pictures shows garlic and an onion, but the recipe doesn’t call for it. Do I leave it out or put it in? Thanks in advance.

aimee @ shugarysweets February 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

Haha! You caught me. I had meant to put some in, but didn’t (yet for some reason I still used it as a photo prop). Sorry for the confusion. It was delicious without garlic, but you could certainly add some in if you’d prefer! I had planned on adding 2 cloves, minced to the turkey as I browned it. ENJOY!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Toffee Chocolate Chip Valentine’s Day CheeseballMy Profile

Charles March 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hello! Planning to post this on my blog – this looks so tasty. Have bookmarked your site
Charles recently posted..How to Drink Your VeggiesMy Profile

Gillian April 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

I made these last night and they were simply DELICIOUS!!! I’m sure they will taste even better tonight…..Will be a staple for me!! Thanks for the great recipes, looking forward to trying more!!!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Just saw this! So glad you enjoyed the recipe Gillian! Thanks for letting me know!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Brownies with Homemade Caramel Sauce and Salted Caramel FrostingMy Profile

Ruth April 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm

how muh uncooked rice to make 3 cups cooked?

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm

It should say on your package of rice?

Sara May 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Can I use frozen sweet corn instead of canned?

aimee @ shugarysweets May 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Sure can!! ENJOY.

Beth @ Motor City on my Mind May 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Mmmm…. I’m making these for dinner tonight! Can’t wait to try them!

Lindsay T May 29, 2013 at 3:31 am

Do you think I could make the stuffing part and freeze it and then whenever I want to make them just thaw that and stuff the peppers and bake? The real dilemma is I meant to cut the recipe in half but didn’t so I have lots of extra “mixture” left. Would it freeze okay?

aimee @ shugarysweets May 29, 2013 at 6:44 am

Honestly, I’ve never tried before. I would be afraid that the rice would be so soft. But you can certainly try it (better than throwing it away, right??)

Janice June 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I think these look so good and healthy, I just sent my husband to buy the ing. to make them for dinner.

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Enjoy the recipe Janice!!

Melody Morrow June 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

would love for you to Email your recipe and nofity me new post by Email . thank you Melody Morrow mlmorrow@metalink.net

Sydney June 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I would like to thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ve had it pinned for months. I decided to create this today and it was delicious (at least the stuffing). My peppers are still in the oven. Twenty more minutes to go! My whole family is enjoying the stuffed peppers and I have you to thank. I’m still a beginner cook, I’m 16 and this helped me feel more comfortable with cooking in general. I will most definitely make these again and will check out your other recipes. Thank you, once more. :D

aimee @ shugarysweets June 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe Sydney! Your comment brought a smile to my face! I was about your age when my mom had me making dinners, and stuffed peppers were always a favorite in our house! Keep up the great work!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..White Chocolate Pretzel BarsMy Profile

Melissa July 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

These were quite delicious! I haven’t really enjoyed stuffed peppers before these!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 25, 2013 at 11:36 pm

So glad you liked this recipe Melissa. We love stuffed peppers!!!

Anonymous September 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Made these tonight and they were delicous! Will definitley be making these again!

Sheila September 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

I m not much of a cook and go right by the recipe. I don’t like cumin:( what spice should I use to replace it ? And am I right that I can use regular white or brown rice? These look delicious and I love the red pepper choice

Amanda September 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Made these last night and they were so delicious! Thank you for sharing a great recipe!

Jessica ramos September 17, 2013 at 1:06 am

What is the recipie for two?

Sheryl September 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi Aimee,

I accidentally used 1.5 tsp cumin instead of 1.5 Tbsp! I only used 6 peppers so had a bunch of rice left over. Do you think I could add extra cumin to the already cooked rice? It made a big difference – too bland!

aimee @ shugarysweets September 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

You can try to add more seasoning to the cooked rice. Add it before stuffing more peppers! You may also want more salt and pepper if using day old filling, tends to lose it’s flavor with the cooked rice in there!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Apple Pecan CupsMy Profile

Lorie January 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

If I were to use ground beef, should I use cumin or another spice??

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 7:39 am

Just swap out the ground turkey and use the beef. No other substitutions needed.

Amanda March 18, 2014 at 7:46 pm

So I just made these, waiting for them to come out of the oven! Here’s the kicker, I only needed to make 2 peppers so I have TONS of stuffing left over! Can I freeze it and reuse it later? How long will it last in the freezer?

Emma April 9, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hi I was wondering about how many calories one stuffed pepper has?

AbeKline May 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Is that 3 cups of rice measured before or after cooking?

Amanda June 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Do you have nutritional info for this?

Meli July 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm

can you substitute ground beef instead of turkey meat?

aimee @ shugarysweets July 23, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Absolutely!

Leslie August 6, 2014 at 12:25 am

Just made these for company and they loved them! Made just as the recipe said. Thank you!

aimee @ shugarysweets August 6, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Leslie for stopping back over and leaving a comment. I’m so glad the recipe was loved and enjoyed by many!!

Cindy October 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I made these tonight for dinner, and they were a huge hit! To give them more of a Mexican taste, I added some chili powder (I also added some fresh minced garlic). What a hearty meal!! We normally don’t use ground turkey, as my kids aren’t fans of it, but honestly, no one could tell the difference.
Thank you for a wonderful recipe!