Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: a healthy dinner made with ground turkey. Lots of flavor! #stuffedpeppers #healthy #dinner www.shugarysweets.com

Tell me you all are enjoying the dinner recipes I’ve been putting on the blog this year!  Today I’ve got another delicious, healthy option for you! It’s no secret that I love the spice, cumin. Seriously love it. I try it put it in as many dinners as possible. Today’s stuffed peppers are no exception!

Normally I would make my mom’s version of stuffed peppers: green peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, minute rice, tomato soup, salt, pepper and egg. Delicious? Yes. Healthy? um, no.

I knew I wanted to do a healthy spin on my favorite dinner. We are trying real hard to eat healthier this New Year! When I saw the can of Classico crushed tomatoes at Walmart, I knew where I would go with this recipe. Mexican inspired! With cumin of course.

I added jasmine rice to my healthier version. With 4 active kids they need some carbs in their meal. But if you’re watching your carbs, feel free to use less, or skip the rice all together (or try using quinoa)!

I also added in some black beans and sweet corn to give these stuffed peppers more of that Santa Fe feel! The crushed tomatoes helped bring all the ingredients together. I was surprised at how fresh they tasted, even though it’s tomatoes from a can! Delicious! Did you know Classico Canned Tomatoes are 100% all natural, packed fresh with no added preservatives?

This was a bad year for my garden’s tomato crop and I have relied on canned tomatoes this winter to make my favorite chili and spaghetti sauces. Classico canned tomatoes have come in handy by providing such a great tasting product. Especially since we use tomatoes at least once a week! Classico’s website is filled with some other great recipes too! Give them a try!

This recipe makes a large pan (8 peppers), perfect for company or a big family (like mine)! Feel free to make a smaller portion by cutting the recipe in half! ENJOY.

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

Yield: 8

A healthier version of stuffed peppers, filled with flavor!

• 3/4 lb ground turkey breast
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 can (28oz) Classico Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1 can (15.25oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15.25oz) sweet corn, drained
  • 3 cup Jasmine Rice (cooked)
  • 8 fresh Sweet Red peppers
  • 1 cup reduced fat Colby Jack cheese
  • 2 green onions, sliced

1. Wash red peppers and slice the tops off each pepper. Remove the seeds. Stand each pepper up next to eachother in a large baking dish (13x9).
  2. In a large skillet, brown ground turkey until fully cooked. Drain. Return to skillet. Add cumin, salt, tomatoes, black bean and sweet corn. Simmer about 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cook Jasmine rice according to package.
  4. Add cooked rice to skillet, combining completely. Remove from heat. Fill each red pepper with turkey mixture.Cover dish with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and to with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion pieces. Serve and enjoy!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

**I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Classico #cbias #SocialFabric #CookClassico

83 Responses to “Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers”

1. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I love how stuffed these are! And great alterations from your mom’s version!

2. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I am most certainly enjoying the dinner recipes so far, Aimee. While I obviously have a huge sweet tooth – I need dinner too. :) I haven’t made stuffed peppers in ages. The black beans and corn are a wonderful addition – “santa fey” salsa is my favorite kind, full of both beans and corn and peppers. I would love all of the chunks and textures in these!

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m glad you enjoy the dinner recipes Sally. Definitely not “shugary” but hopefully others find it helpful too! To see that we do sometimes eat healthy!

3. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Honestly, these are the BEST looking stuffed peppers! I am sooo going to make these, thank you!

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Awww thanks Michael Ann! They were not only pretty, but delicious too!

4. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

These are some tasty looking peppers!

5. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I say, keep the dinner recipes coming!! Love red peppers and this stuffed version sounds fabulous.

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Jenn, I plan on keeping the dinner recipes coming for the next couple months. You all seem to like them :)

6. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm

These look very ‘Santa Fe’! We are big fans of cumin in our house as well. I’ll take mine with extra cheese please (cheese= dairy= good for you… right??)

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Yeah I like extra cheese too. Sadly my thighs do not!

7. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Sounds yummy! I would probably make it just for myself :)

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

For one person? You may want to scale the recipe back, otherwise you will be eating stuffed peppers for weeks!

• Lacey
        posted Jun 24, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Would you cut the bake time in half too? This is probably a duh question but want to make sure.

8. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

these look SO good. they look healthy too cause you omit the carb part that is usually wrapped around the filling. love it!

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Julie, this is about as healthy as I get! haha!!

9. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I really, really love stuffed peppers! They are one of my go-to dinners. This post reminds me it’s been awhile. Now I know what I’m making next week!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

I go on droughts where I never know what to make, then I remember I have a whole reserve of favorites to draw from!!

10. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I have not had stuffed peppers in so long. These look fabulous! I am definitely adding these to our dinner menu!

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I had forgotten how much I love them. I even love them with a healthier twist!

11. posted Jan 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

We love stuffed peppers…I love that you made these with the red peppers. Very striking! The funny thing is that I have a very similar recipe photographed and just sitting on my computer…maybe one day I will get around to sharing it. I just love how much we think alike with food!!!

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Of course you do! can’t wait to see your photos!!!

12. posted Jan 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh I love stuffed peppers! And these look to die for <3 Well, not die, since then I couldn't eat them. But still. Very yummy. And I love the change of peppers to red – a nice colorful pick-me-up to all the cold weather we've been having :)

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thanks Jess. I love the taste of red bell peppers so it was a perfect fit!

13. posted Jan 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm

My Mom used to make these when I was little. Time to make some for me!

14. posted Jan 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I love stuffed peppers and these look mouthwatering, Aimee! Mmmm!

15. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Aimee…these look outstanding! I am going to have to try making them!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Tonia! They were quite delicious. And healthy too!!

16. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm

We love stuffed peppers! I love the addition of corn and black beans!

17. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Must try these soon! I used the Crushed Tomatoes for my Albondigas soup last week and they rocked! I can’t wait to try them in these peppers! Great recipe Aimee! Thanks! :)
    Mackenzie

18. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 1:45 am

These are some of my favorite flavors and I love putting things in peppers (and my daughter will flip because the new American Girl doll is from Santa Fe)

19. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Oooh! These look amazing! Pinned!

20. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I keep seeing stuffed peppers. These are definitely going on my to make list!

21. posted Jan 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I’m making stuffed peppers on my birthday dinner tomorrow :) Yours look soooo delicious!

22. posted Jan 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh delish! I can’t wait to try them. We have featured them here: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/weekly-rays-of-sunshine-12-and-13/

23. Rebekah
    posted Feb 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

These look so good. I’m am making them tonight. I have a question though. One of the pictures shows garlic and an onion, but the recipe doesn’t call for it. Do I leave it out or put it in? Thanks in advance.

• posted Feb 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

Haha! You caught me. I had meant to put some in, but didn’t (yet for some reason I still used it as a photo prop). Sorry for the confusion. It was delicious without garlic, but you could certainly add some in if you’d prefer! I had planned on adding 2 cloves, minced to the turkey as I browned it. ENJOY!

24. posted Mar 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hello! Planning to post this on my blog – this looks so tasty. Have bookmarked your site

25. Gillian
    posted Apr 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

I made these last night and they were simply DELICIOUS!!! I’m sure they will taste even better tonight…..Will be a staple for me!! Thanks for the great recipes, looking forward to trying more!!!

• posted Apr 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Just saw this! So glad you enjoyed the recipe Gillian! Thanks for letting me know!

26. Ruth
    posted Apr 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm

how muh uncooked rice to make 3 cups cooked?

27. Sara
    posted May 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Can I use frozen sweet corn instead of canned?

28. posted May 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Mmmm…. I’m making these for dinner tonight! Can’t wait to try them!

29. Lindsay T
    posted May 29, 2013 at 3:31 am

Do you think I could make the stuffing part and freeze it and then whenever I want to make them just thaw that and stuff the peppers and bake? The real dilemma is I meant to cut the recipe in half but didn’t so I have lots of extra “mixture” left. Would it freeze okay?

• posted May 29, 2013 at 6:44 am

Honestly, I’ve never tried before. I would be afraid that the rice would be so soft. But you can certainly try it (better than throwing it away, right??)

30. posted Jun 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I think these look so good and healthy, I just sent my husband to buy the ing. to make them for dinner.

31. posted Jun 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

would love for you to Email your recipe and nofity me new post by Email . thank you Melody Morrow mlmorrow@metalink.net

32. Sydney
    posted Jun 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I would like to thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ve had it pinned for months. I decided to create this today and it was delicious (at least the stuffing). My peppers are still in the oven. Twenty more minutes to go! My whole family is enjoying the stuffed peppers and I have you to thank. I’m still a beginner cook, I’m 16 and this helped me feel more comfortable with cooking in general. I will most definitely make these again and will check out your other recipes. Thank you, once more. 😀

• posted Jun 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe Sydney! Your comment brought a smile to my face! I was about your age when my mom had me making dinners, and stuffed peppers were always a favorite in our house! Keep up the great work!

33. Melissa
    posted Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

These were quite delicious! I haven’t really enjoyed stuffed peppers before these!

• posted Jul 25, 2013 at 11:36 pm

So glad you liked this recipe Melissa. We love stuffed peppers!!!

34. Anonymous
    posted Sep 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Made these tonight and they were delicous! Will definitley be making these again!

35. Sheila
    posted Sep 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

I m not much of a cook and go right by the recipe. I don’t like cumin:( what spice should I use to replace it ? And am I right that I can use regular white or brown rice? These look delicious and I love the red pepper choice

36. Amanda
    posted Sep 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Made these last night and they were so delicious! Thank you for sharing a great recipe!

37. Jessica ramos
    posted Sep 17, 2013 at 1:06 am

What is the recipie for two?

38. Sheryl
    posted Sep 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi Aimee,

I accidentally used 1.5 tsp cumin instead of 1.5 Tbsp! I only used 6 peppers so had a bunch of rice left over. Do you think I could add extra cumin to the already cooked rice? It made a big difference – too bland!

• posted Sep 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

You can try to add more seasoning to the cooked rice. Add it before stuffing more peppers! You may also want more salt and pepper if using day old filling, tends to lose it’s flavor with the cooked rice in there!

39. Lorie
    posted Jan 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

If I were to use ground beef, should I use cumin or another spice??

• posted Jan 27, 2014 at 7:39 am

Just swap out the ground turkey and use the beef. No other substitutions needed.

40. Amanda
    posted Mar 18, 2014 at 7:46 pm

So I just made these, waiting for them to come out of the oven! Here’s the kicker, I only needed to make 2 peppers so I have TONS of stuffing left over! Can I freeze it and reuse it later? How long will it last in the freezer?

41. Pingback: 6 Recipes for Easy Entertaining - A Teaspoon of Happiness

42. Pingback: Cup of Bloom Healthy Food Ideas For Dinner - Cup of Bloom

43. Emma
    posted Apr 9, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hi I was wondering about how many calories one stuffed pepper has?

44. Pingback: 10 Recipes for a Perfect Sunday Lunch | Crazy Food Blog

45. Pingback: 10 delicious ground beef recipes

46. Pingback: Foodies Network » Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

47. AbeKline
    posted May 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Is that 3 cups of rice measured before or after cooking?

48. Pingback: The Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables (Produce) Calendar

49. Amanda
    posted Jun 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Do you have nutritional info for this?

50. Pingback: Stuffed Peppers « Pavlova Sundays

51. Pingback: Getting In Your Protein | The SAHMilf- Mom In Love with Fitness

52. posted Jul 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm

can you substitute ground beef instead of turkey meat?

53. Leslie
    posted Aug 6, 2014 at 12:25 am

Just made these for company and they loved them! Made just as the recipe said. Thank you!

• posted Aug 6, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Leslie for stopping back over and leaving a comment. I’m so glad the recipe was loved and enjoyed by many!!

54. Pingback: Friday Night Fun : Stuffed Bell Peppers and Spicy Chicken | Healthy Hungry Student : Tips and Recipes!

55. Cindy
    posted Oct 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I made these tonight for dinner, and they were a huge hit! To give them more of a Mexican taste, I added some chili powder (I also added some fresh minced garlic). What a hearty meal!! We normally don’t use ground turkey, as my kids aren’t fans of it, but honestly, no one could tell the difference.
    Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

56. Pingback: Viral or Evergreen Content? » Collective Bias »

57. Pingback: Food #160

58. stefanie
    posted Jun 2, 2015 at 8:39 am

Hi Aimee,

how do you think this recipe would be with quinoa instead of rice?