Glazed Blueberry Donut Muffins

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 7, 2014

Bite sized Blueberry Donut Muffins with a delicious vanilla glaze! And a sweet Happy Birthday to my daughter Alyssa!

Blueberry Donut Muffins with Vanilla Glaze: little bites of deliciousness!

My kids are getting old. Which means I’m getting old. My son turned 17 in November, and now my oldest daughter turns 15 today!

15!! Yikes, I remember when I was 15. Fortunately, she’s a good girl. She’s too busy with her swim team to have a life. Or is it the other way around? Her life is her swim team??

Either way, her busy swim team becomes my life. Ha! Dare I admit to you all that our youngest started swimming too, so this will be our life for a very long time! And I refuse to complain.

Blueberry Donut Muffins with Vanilla Glaze: little bites of deliciousness!

One thing my daughter is insistent upon, is blueberry muffins. If you’ve been reading this blog for any period of time, you may know about her strange addiction (or superstition) to eating blueberry muffins before her swim meets.

I think it started at her very first swim meet, she was almost 9yrs old and asked for a blueberry muffin from Panera before her early morning meet. I bought it, she swam amazing, and she has requested them ever since.

Many times I use this recipe for muffins….or this recipe to make muffin tops. But today, since it’s her birthday and all, I thought we would combine her love for muffins with her other love…donuts.

Blueberry Donut Muffins with Vanilla Glaze: little bites of deliciousness!

And, since she is always on the go, I decided to make these bite size and popable. They also needed a glaze. Just because. It’s a birthday after all. Enjoy!

Do YOU have any superstitions or good luck charms?

Blueberry Donut Muffins with Vanilla Glaze: little bites of deliciousness!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Glazed Blueberry Donut Muffins

Yield: 4-5 dozen

Sweet Blueberry Donut Muffins with a Vanilla glaze!

For the muffins:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk (I use skim, no fat)
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • For the glaze:
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4-5 Tbsp milk

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar until fully combined, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add in vanilla, flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add milk and combine completely. Fold in blueberries.
  2. Scoop a large tablespoon of batter into a mini muffin pan that has been generously greased. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 8-10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
  3. For the glaze, whisk sugar with vanilla and milk until desired consistency. I like this glaze to be a bit thinner so it is more clear once it dries. Dip each muffin into the glaze, letting the excess glaze run down the sides of the muffin. Allow to set, about 15-20 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. ENJOY!

Let’s celebrate my daughter’s birthday! My kids always pick their birthday meals, so here are a few of my daughter’s favorite foods!

peanut-butter-krispies-brownies-

Peanut Butter Krispie Brownies: Alyssa loves chocolate and peanut butter, these brownies were a HUGE hit!

nutella-no-bake-cookies

Nutella No Bake Cookies: my daughter is a Nutella lover! These are one of her favorite cookies!

chicken-kisses-1

Chicken Kisses: this is my daughter favorite dinner. Ever. She picks it almost every year!! ENJOY.

dark-chocolate-cake-3-685x1024

From scratch, Dark Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Frosting: Happy Birthday Alyssa!!

Tanya Schroeder January 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

Happy Birthday to Alyssa!! And a day off to boot!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:47 am

She’s a lucky girl :)

Mary Frances January 7, 2014 at 8:36 am

Wishing Alyssa a Happy Birthday! Hmm, I might have to get myself some Panera muffins before volleyball tournaments … sounds delicious to me! :) These muffins are so pretty and that glaze looks finger lickin’ good!
Mary Frances recently posted..Salted Chocolate Coconut PopcornMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:45 am

Thanks Mary Frances, definitely try the muffins!!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 7, 2014 at 9:19 am

These look so fun with the glaze on them. I don’t currently have any good luck charms, however I could make one to justify having bb muffins more :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken SandwichesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:43 am

Haha, I don’t have any good luck charms either :)

Renee@Two in the Kitchen January 7, 2014 at 9:45 am

These are too cute and look so yummy! Happy birthday to your daughter! They grow too fast!! My oldest turns ten this year and I don’t even want to think of them becoming teens yet!!
Renee@Two in the Kitchen recently posted..Butterscotch and Toffee Gooey Brownie BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:43 am

So far our teen years have been great! My kids are just so fun to be around :)

Tanya January 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

These look so good. I just made banana chocolate chip muffins for breakkfast this morning,I wish I would have looked sooner and I could have made these with the blueberries I have. I guess we can have muffins two mornings in a row..right? :)
Tanya recently posted..Online HR Software – December 2013 UpdateMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

I see nothing wrong with that :)

Kathy January 7, 2014 at 11:03 am

These look so good as well as the muffin tops! Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Kathy recently posted..Lemony Lentil SoupMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

Thanks Kathy!!

Marcie@Flavorthemoments January 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

Happy birthday to your daughter, Aimee, and these muffins look like a great way to celebrate — superstitions or not!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thank you Marcie, we had a great day :)

Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet January 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Happy Birthday to your daughter!! These donut muffins look adorable and delish! Pinned!
Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet recently posted..Blueberry Quick Bread RecipeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thanks Anna!!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 7, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Happy Birthday Alyssa!!!! Blueberry muffins with a sweet glaze sounds like just the perfect breakfast to enjoy for a birthday morning or before a meet! Love the tradition she has of always having to have blueberry muffins! Now tell her to stop growing up because we aren’t old enough to have kids this big ;-)
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Roasted Red Pepper and Asparagus QuinoaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:41 am

I’ve told her several times this week to stop growing up. It’s not working. :(

Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker January 7, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Swim team definitely becomes your life–I remember back when I did it ages ago and my weekends were always booked with meets. These muffins would definitely have made it easier to get up for those early morning meets though! I’m not terribly superstitious about anything, but whenever I take a test I always have to use a purple pencil (only the casing is purple, not the actual graphite) for good luck.
Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker recently posted..Chocolate Chip Pretzel CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:40 am

Love the purple pencil!! And yes, swimming is definitely our life :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Awe so sweet! Happy Birthday to Alyssa! These blueberry muffins look delicious!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:39 am

Thanks Nancy!!!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 7, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Happy Birthday, Alyssa! I don’t blame her for attributing her good swimming with blueberry muffins — they are a powerfully delicious food, after all :D and I LOVE this mix between muffin & donut! Blueberry donuts are actually one of my favorite donut flavors, and my favorite by far at Krispy Kreme. Love them!!

As far as superstitions go, you’re talking to the queen! OCD is not kind when it comes to habits like this so I have a ton, but I do adopt the traditional don’t walk under ladders/if you break a mirror you’ll get bad luck for 7 yrs, etc.
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Baklava Brownie BombsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:37 am

Oh, I just want to hug you and your superstitions!!

Abbie @ Needs Salt January 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Ahhh these muffins look so sinfully good in every single way. Pinning!
Abbie @ Needs Salt recently posted..lemon poppy seed sour cream cakes with mapled vanilla cream cheese glaze.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thanks Abbie, and thanks for pinning :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Happy Birthday to her! I love that she has a muffin tradition. And I think you’re a saint for doing swim! :) These muffins are gorgeous too!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Easy Lemon Donut Holes {two ways}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:33 am

Saint Aimee. I like it :)

Megan - The Emotional Baker January 8, 2014 at 7:04 am

Happy Birthday Alyssa! Hope you had a great day :)

These donut muffins look extraordinary. Can’t wait to try them!
Megan – The Emotional Baker recently posted..Cinnamon Bear White Chocolate CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:32 am

Thanks!! She definitely enjoyed her day, and her muffins!

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon January 8, 2014 at 7:40 am

Happy Birthday to Alyssa! A perfect combo of donuts and muffins-genius! Pinning now!
Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese SoupMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thank you Lisa!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction January 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Happy Birthday to Alyssa! These muffin donuts look like the perfect way to celebrate!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks Jessica :)

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain January 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm

mmmmm blueberry muffins are the best! That glaze takes them over the top for sure. :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Lemon Cream SconesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:30 am

Everything is better with a glaze, right??

Laura January 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Happy Birthday!! Can frozen blueberries be used?

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:29 am

Sure can! Keep them frozen until you toss them in the batter!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 13, 2014 at 11:39 am

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! Oh, to be 15 again!
These donut muffins look and sound like a delicious celebration treat!
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Reese’s pieces double chocolate cookies recipeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

It seems not that long ago that I was 15….sigh….

Trish - Mom On Timeout January 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Happy Birthday to Alyssa! You look WAY too young to have a 15 yo by the way :) Last year was our first year on swim team and I certainly didn’t realize how much of a time commitment it was but I really enjoyed it! And so did Reece :) We’ll see how Bryce does this year. These muffins are absolutely the perfect way to kick off any day – especially a birthday!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Lemon Meringue Cookie CupsMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor January 18, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Happy birthday to your girl! These look fantastic!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm

THanks Kristi!!

Julia January 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I’m making these now and see that milk is in the ingredient list, but not in the directions, for the muffins themselves. I will go ahead and add the milk. Just thought I would ask on here if I was supposed to, or not? :) Thanks! Oh, and made the chicken pot pie soup last night and it was a hit!

Julia January 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm

After I added it I realized the answer was yes, to add it. :)

Nutmeg Nanny January 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Oh goodness, the glaze makes these that much more tempting :) definitely instilled a craving into me!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Spicy Penne alla Vodka {11 piece Anolon Cookware Giveway}My Profile

Kristen Duke January 25, 2014 at 3:41 pm

That’s so nice that your muffins are her good luck charm! These sound so yummy – I will be trying these out soon!
Kristen Duke recently posted..DIY Valentines Heart Cut-Out PlaqueMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Just a tad superstitious. But if it means I get to bake/eat blueberry muffins, I’m all over it :)