Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 9, 2013

Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw: a delicious and healthy dinner that puts color on your plate! #fish #healthy #dinner www.shugarysweets.com

As promised, here is my first dinner recipe of 2013. It’s a very healthy and colorful meal!

I think you might love this one! Well, if you love fish, you will love this recipe for Spicy Grilled Fish. PLEASE tell me you love fish?!? It’s so good for you!

I’m very lucky, with 4 kids, they will all eat tilapia. Although, with this recipe, you might want to season with a little less chili powder if they don’t like spicy. The coolness from the citrus salad combined with the spicy fish is a perfect match. you can also put this fish and slaw on a tortilla, I know my kids love to eat everything on a tortilla!

For years I never cooked fish at home. I would order it at restaurants because I love it so much, but when I would try to make fish at home it would come out brown and ugly, and totally not appetizing.

This grilled fish is so easy, I love using tilapia because it’s a fish my kids love. You can try other varieties, just adjust your cooking time if your fillets are thicker!

And, can I just say one more thing about the citrus salad? If you have some of this leftover, please save it. It’s delicious on a sandwich. Or a burger. Or just with a fork!

See that broccoli in the background? I know your wondering how to make that too, right? It’s actually adapted from my Roasted Broccoli recipe: HERE. I just only used broccoli and I kept the parmesan cheese off to shave a few extra calories!

**Before you check out the recipes below, have you entered to win a new iPad yet? Contest ends January 15, 2013…HURRY!  And come back. I’m waiting for you! Click HERE to go enter.

Want more fish recipes? Here are some of my favorite, tried and true, seafood dishes! ENJOY!

Easy Tilapia with Strawberry Salsa: another spicy fish with a sweet salsa. This one is all about the strawberry salsa!

Tilapia with strawberry salsa from www.shugarysweets.com

Fish Tacos with Avocado Sauce: I dream about this avocado sauce, it’s what dreams are made of!

Fish Taco with Avocado Sauce from www.shugarysweets.com

Parmesan Halibut with Tomato and Zucchini Orzo: the crunchy topping of this fish leaves you wanting another bite!

Parmesan Halibut with Tomato and Zucchini Orzo from www.shugarysweets.com

Blackened Salmon: Another spicy piece of fish, noticing a trend?

Blackened Salmon from www.shugarysweets.com

Connect with Shugary Sweets! I know you want to see behind the scenes…check out my instagram!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest

Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: serves 6

A healthy dinner with lots of color!

For the Fish:
  • 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

1. For the Slaw, mix everything in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  2. For the fish, mix chili powder, garlic salt, salt, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl. Add juice of one lime and mix thoroughly.
  3. Heat grill pan on medium-high heat with olive oil in pan. Brush both sides of fish with seasoning. Grill 5 minutes on each side, or until flakes with a fork.
  4. To serve: lay grilled fish on a plate and top with a heaping serving of citrus slaw. ENJOY.
  5. **you can also warm up flour tortilla and place fish and slaw inside, eat and enjoy!

Linked To: Chic and Crafty I’m Lovin It

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme January 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I so often find myself making the same old same old recipe I usually do for tilapia. I can’t wait to try this recipe to “spice” things up! :)
Jennifer @ Mother Thyme recently posted..Caprese Pizza with Cauliflower Crust + Giveaway!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2013 at 9:46 am

I totally know what you mean. Let me know if you try the recipe!! Thanks for stopping over.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus SlawMy Profile

Sue/the view from great island January 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm

This is my kind of dinner…I love combining grilled fish and fresh fruit, and while I’ve made lots of salsas to go on fish, I’ve never tried this kind of slaw—sounds wonderful!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

I love salsa’s on my fish too! This slaw was definitely a fun twist!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I love tilapia too. I have some in the freezer and now I know what to make!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Vegan BrowniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

Let me know if you try it! DELISH, I promise :)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama January 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

Is it strange that I really want this right now… at 8am. This is getting made very very soon!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama recently posted..Mini Buttermilk Monkey BreadsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

Totally not strange at all!!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

This looks super healthy. I would adore that grilled fish and I love a nice spicy kick to my seafood.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..My Exclusive Interview with Momofuku Milk Bar’s Christina TosiMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thanks Jocelyn! I’m glad there are other “spicy” friends out here!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 10, 2013 at 11:17 am

Tilapia is really the only way I will eat fish. I’m thinking that I would like all that spiciness going on too!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Banana Toffee SconesMy Profile

Jess @ OnSugarMountain January 10, 2013 at 11:47 am

I just tried to make fish tacos last night for my family and they were so no appetizing and they made me sad >_<.

This citrus slaw might've helped though! You're fish looks so crispy and flaky – this is a healthy recipe I wouldn't mind trying out! Perhaps I'll brave fish in the kitchen again ;)
Jess @ OnSugarMountain recently posted..No Knead Artisan BreadMy Profile

Chrissy January 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them! I am co-hosting a new Pinterest Power Party and would love to have you share this or any other projects that you have!

Chrissy
Chrissy recently posted..Pinterest Power Party {#1}My Profile

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl January 11, 2013 at 10:43 pm

We (try to) eat tilapia or other fish once a week – and my kiddo loves it! But I’m always looking for different ways to change up my recipes, so this is a perfect one for me to have on hand. Pinning to make next week – thanks so much for sharing this!
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..What’s In Your Kitchen WednesdayMy Profile

Jackie January 12, 2013 at 9:18 am

I have never grilled fish before. Your recipe looks very yummy so I may have to give it a try. Stopping by from Tatertots & Jello. :)
Jackie recently posted..2012 Homemade Christmas Gift RecapMy Profile

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale January 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Those look amazing! I love a good spicy fish, and the citrus slaw!!! YUM!

Your pics are gorgeous, Aimee!
Rachel – A Southern Fairytale recently posted..Holding OnMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thanks Rachel. Spicy fish is the way to go! thanks for stopping by!

Mom of 3 boys in CO January 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

Your recipes are AMAZING! This slaw is so yummy and healthy I make it by itself, even though the fish its super yummy too! I don’ t normally leave comments, but your recipes have made me a big hit! I made the peppermint cheesecake over the holidays and my husband wants it in other flavors now. You are an amazing chef and I check your blog frequently for more recipes. Thank you for sharing your gift with the rest of us!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2013 at 11:58 am

So glad you are enjoying my recipes! And thank you so much for the sweet words!
This slaw is one of my favorites too…I love putting it on a sandwich!
As for the cheesecake cake, I’m totally with your hubs. I am constantly running ideas through my head for more varieties!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa BarsMy Profile

Angel Callison January 31, 2013 at 2:33 am

I’ve always wanted to make a citrus slaw and this was a great recipe. Thanks for sharing with us. I added a little lime to your slaw recipe and it was so good. My husband loved this meal too! He’s not a big fan of fish. So double thank you :-) I shared your recipe link on my blog so I can could share with family & friends. I will be checking back for more delicious recipes.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 6:46 am

Angel, I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! It’s so good, and I love to hear feedback from others! Thanks for coming back and letting me know :)

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife February 24, 2013 at 1:25 am

This looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try that slaw.
Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife recently posted..Our Favorite Links for 2/11/2013My Profile

Fisherman gets hand caught August 13, 2013 at 12:28 am

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your
content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d
post to let you know. The style and design look great though!
Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Cheers
Fisherman gets hand caught recently posted..Fisherman gets hand caughtMy Profile