Avocado Bean Dip

by aimee @ shugarysweets on June 2, 2014

June is National Dairy Month! I’ve teamed up once again with the American Dairy Association (mideast) to bring a delicious snack to your table!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Avocado Bean Dip: a HEALTHY snack idea that won't break your diet. Packed with protein!

I have a lot of nostalgia this week. It’s the end of another school year and I sit and wonder where did time go? It seemed like yesterday that I had a new baby at home with 3 more kids under the age of 7.

One thing I always made sure of is that they were getting enough milk in their diets. Milk is the single greatest source of three of the four nutrients the Dietary Guidelines identified as lacking in the American diet – calcium, vitamin D and potassium. But it’s not lacking in my house. At least not when they were younger.

Now that I have two teens and two preteens in the house, monitoring their diet is definitely more difficult. We only serve milk at the dinner table (at least I know ONE meal they will have a full glass of milk). My kids are also big cereal and yogurt eaters, so breakfast is usually covered. Getting more dairy in their diet beyond that can be tricky.

But, alas, this mom is crafty. Sneaky. I fit good food into our snacks. For instance, today’s dip is filled with  greek yogurt, cottage cheese and avocado. Yes, you eat it with chips or pretzel crisps, but hey, there’s only so much I can control. If the kids are going to snack, why not balance it out. Compromise. Actually, it’s not really a compromise since they don’t know there is GOOD stuff in this. They see a bowl a chips and a plate of dip and devour.

I loved this dip with fresh vegetables. Dipping in some carrots, cucumbers and green peppers were a great way to not only get my veggies in for the day, but my dairy too!

Eating dairy doesn’t have to be boring. And I found this dip to be a great post workout snack! It’s power packed with protein! A perfect way to keep hunger in check throughout the day!

ADA_JDM_FACTS_5

Connect with the American Dairy Association:

website | Pinterest | twitter

Avocado Bean Dip

Yield: serves 8

Creamy Avocado Dip is a great way to add more dairy (and protein) to your diet. A great healthy snack!

• 1 can (16oz) refried beans
  • 2 tsp cumin, divided
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 6 cranks fresh black pepper
  • 6 drops tabasco sauce
  • 1/4 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives

1. Combine refried beans with 1 tsp cumin. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate.
  2. In food processor, combine greek yogurt, cottage cheese, avocado, 1 tsp cumin, salt, pepper and tabasco. Process for several minutes until smooth and creamy. Add more salt, pepper and tabasco to taste at this point. Spread creamy avocado mixture of the refried beans.
  3. Top with shredded cheese and black olives. Serve with tortilla chips (or fresh vegetables). ENJOY

I’ve teamed up with some fellow bloggers to spread the Dairy love this month! Be sure you stop on over to their blogs and checkout their mouthwatering recipes!

Greek Yogurt Pops, by Dessert for Two

S’Mores Ice Cream Sandwich, by Lemons for Lulu

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fruit Dip, by The Lemon Bowl

Chorizo Croque Monsieur, by Climbing Grier Mountain

Java Chip Milkshake, by Inside BruCrew Life

Pesto Yogurt Chicken Kebabs, by Garnish with Lemon

Creamy Pea Salad, by The Law Student’s Wife

Be sure you join us for a  June Dairy Month twitter party on June 11, 2014 from 9-10pm. Don’t worry, I’ll remind you!

ADA_JDM_Pinterest_2014

**This is a sponsored post on behalf of the American Dairy Association, Mideast. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions expressed are 100% my own!

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon June 2, 2014 at 7:33 am

I wouldn’t have guessed there is cottage cheese in this dip, too. It’s a double dairy protein bonus – love it!
Anna @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Pesto Yogurt Chicken KebabsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 11:57 am

Thanks Anna! I’m sneaky like that :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness June 2, 2014 at 7:42 am

The cottage cheese is SUCH a surprise, but I LOVE it…I eat that, and Greek yogurt AND avocados everyday…so this must happen! Pinned :)

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the pin Taylor!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

How to Philosophize with Cake June 2, 2014 at 7:42 am

That looks awesome! I love layered dips like this, will have to try it sometime! :)
How to Philosophize with Cake recently posted..Vegan pumpkin spice latte muffins with cashew cream cheese filling and espresso glazeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 11:58 am

I love layered dips too!! Just trying to make my snack tooth a little healthier!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

DessertForTwo June 2, 2014 at 8:05 am

I think I could polish off a whole bowl of this stuff by myself! Yum!
DessertForTwo recently posted..Comment on Make Your Own Greek Yogurt Pops by JulieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I may or may not have made this twice. Once for me, once for the family.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl June 2, 2014 at 8:15 am

This looks so delish!! Love anything avocado!

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Liz, I wish I lived somewhere so I can grow my own avocado tree!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Marion@Life Tastes Good June 2, 2014 at 8:49 am

You had me at avocado! I love everything in this! pinning to make for sure!! Thanks!
Marion@Life Tastes Good recently posted..Healthy Baked Sweet Potato FriesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) June 2, 2014 at 9:39 am

Avocado Bean Dip? Oh yeah! Fantastic girl!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Oreo PancakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Jocelyn :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain June 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

This means I can have the whole dish, right?! Looks amazing!

aimee @ shugarysweets June 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Of course! I don’t judge!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Avocado Bean DipMy Profile

Sues June 2, 2014 at 9:53 am

This doesn’t look boring AT ALL! In fact, I could probably gobble up a whole dish of it :) I love Greek yogurt both for a breakfast/snack and as a dip and topping!
Sues recently posted..Coconut Waffles with Vanilla Coconut GlazeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm

No. It’s not boring. Especially since we both know it’s loaded with good stuff!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Tanya June 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I would have never thought to dip those pretzel things into a bean dip. Looks kind of good though.
Tanya recently posted..The Importance of Branding In HiringMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I love those pretzel crisps in EVERYTHING.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 2, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Looks so creamy and satisfying! I could polish off most of the bowl myself :) pinned

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:27 pm

You’re the best Averie! Thanks for pinning :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

marcie June 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm

What a great, healthy dip, perfect for bathing suit season. :)
marcie recently posted..Honey Whole Wheat Burger BunsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Oh crud. It’s bathing suit season???
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled June 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I will be making this delicious avocado bean dip this weekend for a graduation party we are going to! Thanks for a awesome recipe, Aimee! :)
Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled recently posted..S’mores CupsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:29 pm

You’re welcome Jenn, enjoy!!! We made it again last weekend and added jalapenos and diced tomatoes. So good!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet June 2, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I am always try to sneak in dairy where I can. I have recently started making yogurt Popsicles for snacks after school. This looks like a good way to do it too!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Kale Tomato PastaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Yogurt Popsicles are awesome!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Marly June 2, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I love vegetarian dishes like this one. What a perfect appetizer to take to a summer party!
Marly recently posted..Double Chocolate BiscottiMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Thanks Marly!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Root Beer Meringue CookiesMy Profile

Chloe @ foodlikecake June 3, 2014 at 6:05 am

This looks really good!

Candace @ Cabot June 3, 2014 at 7:13 am

I’m absolutely making this for a potluck I’m going to this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life June 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I love that you are sneaky and add things like cottage cheese to avocado and bean dips. This looks so good…although I’m pretty sure I would devour the entire plate full in one sitting. Maybe I should work on my self control :-)
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Java Chip MilkshakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 3, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Let’s just share a plate of this together? M’kay?

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain June 4, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I DO love my avocados. This looks like it will easily become one of my new favorite summer snacks! :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..3 Year Blogiversary and Chocolate Ganache Frosted Cupcakes!My Profile

Sharon Markey July 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Hi Aimee: Since I live in Fairfield, OH, we could consider ourselves to be neighbors. I love your site, and have tried several of your recipes. Keep up the great work, and I do appreciate all of your efforts.

aimee @ shugarysweets July 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

We could have been neighbors! Thanks for the sweet comment. I did just move to Illinois two weeks ago, sniff sniff, I’m going to miss Jungle Jim’s :)