Pina Colada Smoothie
Get a taste of summer with this refreshing Pina Colada Smoothie. Packed with flavor and protein, it’s the perfect workout recovery drink!
Love this recipe? Sign up for Shugary Sweets email subscription and never miss out again!
There is something about January that makes me crave coconut. The holidays are over….so say goodbye to eggnog, peppermint, and pumpkin.
But January? It strikes me as a month that calls for coconut. Could be the girl scouts selling my favorite samoa cookies. Or it could be the crisp white snow we have piled up outside.
This year I’m determined to use my Fitbit Flex every day. AND hit my goals of 10K steps a day!
So, last week, I layered on the winter gear and took a hike outside. (If you follow me on instagram you may have seen.) The air was cool (25 degrees F) and the ground was covered in snow. But what normally takes me 30 minutes, took me an hour. I had to stare at the ground to make sure I wasn’t going to slip on ice.
By the time I returned home, my legs were completely numb.
And, then something horrible happened. I logged onto my fitbit app on my phone, and realized my fit bit wasn’t working. In my head I know those steps count…but OMG they didn’t count!
Anyone else have this happen to them? I don’t know why it bothers me, but I hate it when my steps don’t count, or I forget to wear my fitbit. So strange. I know. Not only did they not count, but I had to order a new Fitbit!
In other news, I’ve got another delicious smoothie recipe for you guys!
This one takes the tropical summer drink, Pina Colada, and puts a healthy twist on it! I added some rum flavoring (you can buy it at most grocery stores near the vanilla extract or on amazon). I also toasted some coconut to put on top. I can eat toasted coconut like it’s candy! It’s easy to make too! Lay your shredded coconut on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 5-7 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Cool and store in airtight container for about 5 days. Great for putting on oatmeal, smoothies, cereal, or just eating plain!
I add in a big scoop of my favorite protein powder (vanilla) to my smoothie. Not only does it add a creamy factor, but it adds the protein my body desperately needs after a workout! What healthy choices are you making today?
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign Up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Pina Colada Smoothie
Yield: 1 large or 2 small smoothies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 6 large ice cubes
- 6oz vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- 1 cup pineapple (frozen, fresh or canned)
- 1 large banana
- 3/4 tsp rum flavoring
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- toasted coconut and cherries for garnish, optional
- protein powder, optional
- In a large blender, combine ice, yogurt, pineapple, banana, rum flavoring and coconut milk. Blend until creamy! (add protein powder and blend some more, if desired)
- Pour into a large glass (or two small) and top with toasted coconut and a cherry. ENJOY
- To toast coconut, spread shredded coconut on baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir once during baking. Cool.
- I freeze my bananas once they have ripened. This adds to a thicker, creamier smoothie! If using frozen pineapple and a frozen banana, you may need to add extra milk. If using fresh pineapple and fresh banana you may need more ice. Adjust as needed for desired consistency.
Love Smoothies? Me too!
Cranberry Orange Smoothie: creamy, delicious, HEALTHY!
Green Monster Smoothie: don’t let the color turn you off. This tastes fresh and fruity!
Banana Split Smoothie: so thick and creamy you will think it’s a milkshake. Surprise! It’s healthy.
Here are a few more smoothie recipes from my friends:
- Citrus Sunrise Smoothie from Spoonful of Flavor
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Food Done Light
- Blackberry Cinnamon Smoothie from Well Plated
- Strawberry Peach Smoothie from This Gal Cooks
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**