Transform your everyday Banana Bread recipe into a tropical treat. Coconut Banana Bread is full of crunchy macadamia nuts and toasted coconut flakes. The results are unbelievably delicious!
Table of Contents
Why Make Coconut Banana Bread
If you want to add some pizzazz to your quick bread, this Coconut Banana Bread recipe is for you!
- Sour cream makes it extra moist.
- Perfect balance of coconut and banana flavor.
- Serve for breakfast, snack or dessert.
- Makes two scrumptious loaves.
- Freezer friendly recipe.
- Easy to follow instructions.
This recipe makes two loaves of perfect bread. That way you have one to enjoy now and another to freeze for later! Move over zucchini bread, we’ve got a new favorite in the oven.
A quick glance at the ingredients shows that aside from the macadamia nuts, you may have everything you already need!
- Bananas. The riper the better. I use 4 large bananas for my banana bread recipes. Choose the ones with the MOST brown spots. Or use our guide on how to ripen bananas quickly!
- Sour cream. Substitute full fat regular or Greek yogurt if preferred. Avoid sweetened or flavored yogurts.
- Macadamia Nuts. If you can’t find these, swap them out for chopped walnuts! Equally delicious. We love walnuts in our banana nut muffins!
Coconut Banana Bread is just as easy to make as regular banana bread.
- Combine ingredients. Beat butter and sugar together. Then add in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas. Stir flour, kosher salt, baking soda and cinnamon in to the banana mixture. Fold in sour cream, chopped nuts, and shredded coconut.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to prepared loaf pans. Bake for one hour. Let the bread cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve or freeze. Slice banana bread and enjoy plain or topped with vanilla ice cream! To store this for later, transfer cooled loaves to freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips & Tricks
- Nut substitutes. Swap the macadamia nuts for chopped walnuts or pecans.
- When adding ingredients to the bowl, be sure to measure the flour correctly!
- Serving suggestions. For dessert, drizzle with a little vanilla glaze and sprinkle with more toasted coconut. The glaze from these blueberry donut muffins is delicious.
- More coconut flavor. Add a drop of coconut extract to the batter to enhance the coconut taste.
We make our banana bread recipes in 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. You can use other sized pans, but will need to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Feel free to leave the nuts out of my coconut banana bread recipe. It’ll still be delicious.
Store your homemade coconut banana bread in an airtight container or plastic wrap. I recommend slicing just before serving to keep the bread ad its best.
Make traditional banana bread more exciting! A couple handfuls of coconut and macadamia nuts are all it takes.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Banana Streusel Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze
- Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section below!
Coconut Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas about 2 cups mashed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch loaf pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add in bananas. Mix until creamy. Add in flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until combined. Fold in the sour cream, shredded coconut, and chopped nuts just until blended.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans evenly.
- Bake for one hour, remove and cool in pans ten minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or freeze for later use.
- Sour cream can be substituted with full fat yogurt in banana bread. Avoid choosing a flavored or sweetened yogurt as it will affect the texture and taste of your bread.
- Macadamia Nuts- can substitute walnuts or pecans if desired. Or leave the nuts out completely!
- More Coconut Flavor- add in 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract if desired.
- Pans: For our recipe, we use 9×5-inch loaf pans. If using a different size pan, adjust the bake time accordingly.
- Can you freeze banana bread? Yes! Wrap cooled banana bread in plastic wrap or foil, then slide into a ziploc freezer bag. Store for up to three months. Thaw on counter (in bag) overnight.