Sloppy Joes Pizza is two kid favorites in one dish! Seasoned ground beef, Dill pickles and plenty of gooey cheese are baked on a homemade crust in this fun family meal idea.
Table of Contents
What is Sloppy Joe Pizza
Sloppy Joe Pizza is a pizza topped with the saucy meat usually found in Sloppy Joe sandwiches. Mixed with tomato sauce and Italian seasonings, the ground beef tastes delicious on a freshly baked crust.
This recipe takes the unusual pizza style one step further.
- Dill pickles bring a salty-sour element to the pizzas that makes them taste out of this world!
- Of course, pizza isn’t pizza without cheese. This Sloppy Joes Pickle Pizza recipe definitely delivers on that front! You’ll love picking up a slice of this pizza and seeing all those gooey strands of melty cheesy goodness.
- Rapid Rise Yeast is used in this pizza crust to save time. It works quickly so you don’t need to wait for dough to rise!
- Lean ground beef makes the sloppy joe topping flavorful without the extra grease of other ground beefs.
- Cheese – We use a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese in this pickle pizza. Feel free to swap them out for other cheese you like on pizza, like colby or monterrey jack.
- Tomato sauce – The unseasoned sauce from a can works best here. It’s simmered with the ground beef and seasonings before being ladled onto the crust.
- Dill pickles – These tangy pickles contrast the sweetness of the sauce to bring all the flavors in this pizza together. They’re diced then added to the pizza after baking.
Make the pizza dough first.
Mix together all the ingredients to form a soft dough. Then knead it in your stand mixer or by hand for a few minutes until it gets soft and stretchy.
Cook the ground beef:
Brown beef in a skillet, then add the seasonings and tomato sauce with some water, letting the mixture come to a simmer.
How to assemble Sloppy Joe Pizza:
Roll out the pizza dough into a circle. Spread the sloppy joe mixture on top. Then sprinkle shredded cheese over the meat.
Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Take the pizza out of the oven and cover with diced pickles.
Now it’s ready to slice and eat!
Tips and Tricks
- Serve immediately! Sloppy Joe Pizza tastes best fresh and hot.
- Make ahead option: This recipe makes enough for two 12 inch pizzas. If you don’t plan on eating two full pizzas at once, you can store half the pizza dough and sloppy joe meat in the fridge and make a second pizza the next day.
- Use freshly grated cheese: Cheese you buy in blocks and grate yourself melts so much better on homemade pizza. It’s worth the tiny bit of extra work.
- Premade dough option: If you’re short on time, feel free to use stoe bought refrigerated pizza dough to make your Sloppy Joe Pizza!
No, Rapid Rise Yeast does not need to be “proofed” (dissolved in water) before adding it to the recipe. You can add it right to the bowl with the other dough ingredients.
A pizza stone or round pizza pan is preferred for this recipe, but if you don’t have one, don’t sweat! You can make this recipe “sheet pizza” style by pressing the dough into a rectangle on any baking sheet.
You sure can use turkey! Any ground meat that’s on the leaner side will work.
I don’t recommend ground pork or other high-fat ground meats in this recipe. The excess grease tends seep into the crust making it soggy and oily. Ground turkey or leaned ground beef are perfect.
More Family Dinners
Sloppy Joes Pickle and Cheese Pizza
For the crust:
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast or Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 ½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ⅓ cup very warm water 120 degree F to 130 degree F
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
For the topping:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups diced dill pickles
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- For the crust: In a large bowl, combine 2 cup of all-purpose flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt. Add very warm water and oil, mixing until well blended. (I used my electric mixer with paddle attachment). Gradually add the remaining flour to make a soft dough. The dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, for about 4 minutes (I used my electric mixer with dough hook attachment for this part instead, it worked great!!). Divide dough in half and cover with a clean dry towel until toppings are ready.
- Cook and crumble the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain off the excess grease and return meat to the skillet. Add seasonings, water, and tomato sauce, mixing until fully blended. Simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Pat each portion of dough with floured hands to make a 12inch round pizza (using a baking pizza stone or round pizza pan). Form a rim by pinching the edge of the dough.
- Spread half of the warm Sloppy Joe mixture onto pizza crust. Top with half the mozzarella and half the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle half the diced pickles over the pizza. Repeat with the second pizza.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and melted and the crust is browned.Slice and enjoy immediately!!
Sloppy Joes Pickle Pizza merges two of our favorite family dinners into one easy recipe. You have to taste this pizza to understand how good it is!