This month marks the 18th anniverary of my first date with my dear husband! Both of us were servers (that’s what we called ourselves…never waiter/waitress) at a local Bennigan’s restaurant. So many fun memories of working there, but many of my memories of Bennigan’s revolve around the food. Especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. Yum. You take a perfectly healthy turkey and ham sandwich, batter it up, deep fry it, coat it in powdered sugar, dip it raspberry jam, and wonder why America is obese.
Actually this week my kids all had their yearly physicals, and two of them are underweight (the two oldest). What??? Have you seen what kind of food I cook and bake? I let them eat, honest! So, I guess you can say, the Monte Cristo is just what the doctor ordered!
Easy monte cristo sandwiches that are made using Pillsbury crescent rolls!
- 1 loaf wheat or white bread (18 slices)
- 2 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (or the new sheets works better)
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced turkey
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced ham
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 slices American cheese
- cooking oil
- Raspberry jam (for dipping)
- Powdered sugar (to garnish)
- Stack three slices of bread on top of each other and cut off crusts on all four sides. Repeat for remaining 5 sandwiches.
- On first slice of bread, layer turkey with one slice of American cheese. Top with a slice of bread, a layer of ham and one slice of provolone cheese. Complete the sandwich with a slice of bread. Repeat for remaining 5 sandwiches.
- On lightly floured surface, open one package of Crescent rolls. Stretch and roll the dough until it is nearly twice the size. Cut 3 strips from the dough. Wrap one sandwich in one strip of dough. Wet fingertips to wet the seams and pinch them together. Repeat with last two strips, then repeat with second package of dough until all 6 sandwiches are covered.
- In large skillet, heat canola oil (about 1 inch deep) until very hot (sprinkle of flour should make it sizzle). Working 3 sandwiches at a time, place them flat side down in oil. They should brown in 1-2 minutes. Flip all sandwiches until all sides are browned. Remove from oil and repeat for remaining sandwiches. While sandwiches are hot, sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve and dip in raspberry jam. Enjoy!
Copyright Shugary Sweets 2011-2014