Fresh tomatoes and garden-grown basil come together to create the most delicious and EASY Bruschetta recipe. Use bagel chips or toasted bread to dip, or add this mixture to pasta with cheese!
Game Day is a hit when you make homemade snacks. This reader favorite Spinach Artichoke Dip is ready in no time, and devoured by everyone. Use fresh tomatoes for a homemade pico de gallo with tortilla chips.
Why this Recipe Works
Making homemade bruschetta is one of the main reasons I started gardening many years ago. I really wanted the fresh Roma tomatoes and garden grown basil so I could make my own bruschetta.
This bruschetta is perfect as a game day snack or make into a meal. I usually make a double batch so we can snack on one while toss the second batch with pasta and grilled chicken or turkey meatballs.
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta (pronounced broo·skeh·tuh) is a classic Italian appetizer that brings the freshest flavors of summer together!
Using fresh ingredients like tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil, this is the best bruschetta recipe you will find!
Using fresh ingredients makes bruschetta taste that much better.
- Tomatoes – roma taste best!
- Basil leaves
- Garlic (about 9 cloves)– chopped (not pressed)
- Red wine vinegar
- Parmesan cheese– shredded
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Melba Toast (or bagel chips)
Step 1: In a bowl, toss in the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and parmesan cheese, until each bite has a sufficient amount of each. Add more if necessary.
Step 2: Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste, red wine vinegar, and stir. Add olive oil. The mixture should be nice and shiny. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to allow the flavors to mingle.
How to Make Bruschetta—Balsamic Glaze
In restaurants, you’ll often find bruschetta served with a balsamic glaze. I love to use this when serving our bruschetta with angel hair pasta or over toasted french bread.
Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium high heat until it starts to boil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and drizzle over your bruschetta.
Bruschetta is delicious as an appetizer or made into a meal.
As an appetizer: To make bruschetta bread, hollow out a loaf of french bread. Spoon in the tomato mixture and top it with an extra 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake in a 450 degree oven on a large baking sheet for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted. Cut and enjoy.
Types of bread to serve it with: Bruschetta is best served with toasted french bread, bagel chips, or Melba crackers.
As a meal: Turn this easy bruschetta recipe into a meal by adding it to pasta. Prepare noodles according to package (I like using angel hair pasta noodles). Grill chicken with salt and pepper. Slice into thin strips.
Heat bruschetta in microwave for about 2-3 minutes, until warmed. Serve over warm pasta with chicken strips and extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Bruschetta Salmon– top baked salmon with fresh bruschetta and avocado for a heart healthy dinner.
This easy bruschetta recipe tastes best fresh but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can also use the liquid in the bottom of the bowl as dressing on a salad! Yum!
Bruschetta and caprese are very similar, however most caprese recipes include mozzarella.
Bruschetta can be served either way, warm or cold. Eat it cold with toasted bread or bagel chips. Or serve it warm with pasta, grilled chicken, or french bread.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t refrigerate your tomatoes in advance. You’ll get a better texture and flavor from your bruschetta if you keep tomatoes at room temperature.
- The best types of tomatoes for bruschetta are Roma. Using fresh, juicy and ripe tomatoes will give you the best bruschetta. Just remember, good tomatoes equals good bruschetta.
- Serve bruschetta on toasted baguette slices, with Melba crackers, or with bagel chips.
- Use fresh basil to make the best bruschetta. You can buy fresh basil from the store, but it will cost you. Don’t use dried basil. It will not give you the same summer flavors. In a pinch, I have used the tube of fresh basil (it looks like a tube of toothpaste, but it’s fresh and works better than dried basil).
- Drizzle a little balsamic glaze over the tops of your grilled bread for an extra flavor.
More Fresh Tomato Recipes
Fresh tomatoes and basil create the most delicious, EASY Bruschetta. Use bagel chips to dip, or add this to pasta with cheese!