A super simple dinner recipe, Chicken Margherita can be prepared ahead of time, so it’s ready to pop in the oven. Fresh and zesty with gooey mozzarella melted on top, it’s a crowd-pleaser!
Table of Contents
Why Margherita Chicken Should Be Tonight’s Dinner
Chicken Margherita takes an easy dinner to next-level deliciousness. With an aromatic Mediterranean flavor, zingy tomatoes, and balsamic, it’s simple but not boring.
- Because it’s made in one baking pan, my recipe will save you time (and dishes).
- Fresh basil adds a mouthwatering aroma and fresh taste.
- Melted mozzarella brings sumptuous richness and a wonderful cheesy texture.
- This dish goes well with salads, pasta, or even roasted vegetables.
- You’ll only need 7 ingredients!
Make tonight’s dinner easy so you can relax! And in the spirit of relaxation, this recipe would also be perfect with a glass of wine to accompany it.
If you love our homemade bruschetta recipe, tonights dinner is just for you.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – Easy to work with, the chicken breast will soak up flavor wonderfully while cooking. Go “boneless” for faster and more even cooking.
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds a rich, tangy flavor and a hint of sweetness to the chicken.
- Diced tomatoes – Tomatoes provide a splash of color and some acidity, keeping in line with the Mediterranean flavors.
- Red onion – Onion gives a savory flavor and gets slightly caramelized and sweet while cooking
- Basil – Adds a touch of herbal flavor with a hint of natural sweetness.
- Mozzarella cheese – The finishing touch, you can use sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese to top off the cooked chicken.
- First, you’ll need to chop your tomatoes, red onion, and basil and have them ready.
- Then toss together your tomatoes, red onion, basil, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl.
- In a 13×9 inch baking dish, arrange your chicken breasts in one layer.
- Pour the tomato and herbed balsamic mixture over the chicken. Cover the top of the dish with foil.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and top each piece with mozzarella cheese.
- Return the dish to the oven uncovered. Bake for 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is melted.
Tips & Tricks
- To prepare this recipe in advance, place your chicken breasts and all the toppings (minus the cheese) in the baking dish and cover it. Keep it in the refrigerator and bake it within 12 hours.
- It is essential to make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through, with no pink inside whatsoever. If you have a meat thermometer, its internal temperature should reach at least 165 degrees F.
- Cooked leftovers can be stored in the fridge and should be eaten within three to four days.
Chicken Margherita is delicious with pesto pasta. I love angel hair pasta since it cooks quickly and has a lovely light texture.
This chicken dish goes perfectly with salads, too. If you’d like a pasta salad, orzo salad shares many of the same Mediterranean flavors.
For an extra-special summery salad, use fresh corn in my Roasted Corn Salad to go with the Chicken Margherita. It’s worth it!
You can use any cheese you like! Parmesan and provolone are some of the best-tasting options to go with the other flavors in the dish.
Fully thawed chicken can go right from the fridge into your baking dish. However, if you’re using frozen chicken, it needs to be fully thawed before use. Place it in a leak-proof bag under cold running water until it’s thawed.
Raw chicken breasts will keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
Suppose you don’t have any balsamic vinegar on hand. In that case, you can use 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar plus ½ teaspoon of sugar in its place.
More Dinner Recipes:
- Italian Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Jambalaya Chicken Pot Pie
- More Main Dish Ideas
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section below!
Chicken Margherita Recipe
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- ½ red onion diced
- ¼ cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Combine diced tomatoes, diced red onion, basil, balsamic vinegar and salt in a bowl. Place chicken breasts in a 13×9 baking dish. Pour tomato mixture over top.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven, covered, for about 40-45 minutes (until chicken is completely cooked).
- Remove foil and top with mozzeralla cheese. I used sliced cheese, but shredded would work well too. Place dish back in oven on top rack. Bake 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with a fresh salad or angel hair pasta. ENJOY.
- You can either refrigerate and bake later (within 12 hours) or bake immediately.
- Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.