Baked Margherita Chicken
A delicious dinner recipe, that can be prepped ahead of time! Fresh and zesty, this Baked Margherita Chicken is a crowd pleaser!
It’s the weekly installment of “Confessions with Shugary Sweets” today!
Seriously guys, I’m not sure why I feel compelled to share some of these things with you, but here goes.
Hi, my name is Aimee, and I’m obsessed with frozen margherita pizzas. Like, the cheaper the better, frozen pizzas.
In my healthier eating 2015 plan, it occurred to me that pizza for lunch probably isn’t the best option (I’m not going to comment though on the cheesecake bars, haha). So, why not make my favorite pizza for dinner? But with no crust, you know, to save some carbs!?!
I did overcompensate the “no crust” by adding plenty of cheese. I used sliced mozzarella, but shredded would work fine too!
The best part of this dinner (well, besides the fact that it tastes AMAZING), is that you can prep it ahead of time!
I’ve mentioned (a million times probably) that I love getting my dinners prepped early in the day. If I’m not using a slow cooker, then I like meals that can be made in advance.
How to make Baked Margherita Chicken
Today’s recipe is the perfect meal. I placed the large boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a 13×9 baking dish.
I whipped up a quick tomato basil topping and dumped that over the chicken (you could use homemade bruschetta too).
Cover the dish with foil and stick it in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook. Bake covered.
Then remove the foil, top with cheese and bake until melty! I served ours with a nice big salad, but if you feel you want the carbs, serve it on top of some angel hair pasta!
More Dinner Recipes:
- Italian Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Greek Chicken Skewers
- Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Jambalaya Chicken
- More Main Dish Ideas!
Delicious, easy baked chicken recipe! Prep ahead of time for busy weeknight meals.
- 2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup snipped, fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- Combine diced tomatoes, diced red onion, basil, balsamic vinegar and salt in a bowl. Place chicken breasts in a 13x9 baking dish. Pour tomato mixture over top.
- Cover dish with foil. You can either refrigerate and bake later (within 12 hours) or bake immediately. Bake in a 350 degree oven, covered, for about 40-45 minutes (until chicken is completely cooked, 165 degree with meat thermometer).
- Remove foil and top with mozzeralla cheese. I used sliced cheese, but shredded would work well too. Place dish back in oven on top rack. Bake 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with a fresh salad or angel hair pasta. ENJOY.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 325 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 711mg Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 52g
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**