Chicken Tetrazzini is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish that the whole family will love. Easy to make and freezer friendly, it’s a great casserole to share with friends.
Table of Contents
Comfort Food for Dinner
All of my children have left the nest, and this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is what they always request when they come home.
It’s delicious comfort food, a great recipe, and easy to make ahead of time too!
This is also one of those recipes I like to keep on hand for when I want to bring a family in need a hearty meal, or a new mom a dinner! It gets rave reviews, and I even made a video tutorial to show you how to make chicken tetrazzini!
This cheesy dish needs to happen in your kitchen. It makes a big 13×9 pan, but you can split it into two dishes (2qt or 8-inch square) and share it with a neighbor or friend in need!
This dish ALWAYS gets people asking for the recipe, and once you try it, you’ll understand why our family loved it!!
- Chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken- we love this easy shredded chicken recipe!
- Cream of Chicken Soup- Every instinct is going to make you want to sub for something homemade and from scratch, but this is one of those times that comfort food wins, and the canned stuff just tastes better! (here’s our favorite homemade cream of chicken soup though)
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream– or plain greek yogurt
- Dry white wine– (or chicken broth)
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Spaghetti noodles – can also use any other pasta of choice.
- onions, garlic, and mushrooms optional
How to make Chicken Tetrazzini
- Cook the chicken. You’ll want to start by baking chicken or using leftover turkey, rotisserie chicken, or leftover cooked chicken. If I’m in a hurry, I’ll boil some boneless skinless chicken breasts in a pot of water with salt and pepper to use in this cheesy dish!
- Cook the pasta. Pick your favorite kind of pasta and cook it until al dente.
What is al dente pasta? It just means that the pasta is still slightly firm. Because you will be baking this dish, you don’t want your pasta too soft and mushy!
- Combine Ingredients. While you are cooking pasta and chicken, combine the remaining ingredients in a very large bowl. Add your hot pasta and your cooked (diced) chicken to the bowl and mix until blended.
- Assemble and Bake. Pour into a large 13×9 baking dish (or two smaller pans). Bake covered for about 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Make in Advance: Refrigerate and cover until ready to heat. If cooking from cold, add bake for one hour, then uncovered for 20 minutes. ENJOY.
- Easy, buttery Beer Bread recipe to serve with dinner! Also great to cube into bite sized pieces and use for dips!
- This delicious Spinach and Bacon Salad is a breeze to prepare! The sweet dressing with the salty bacon keeps you wanting more!
- Looking for a fresh bowl of homemade applesauce for dinner tonight? This Instant Pot Applesauce recipe is super quick and easy!
- Don’t forget to finish the meal with a fresh batch or rice krispie treats!
Yes! Assemble the chicken tetrazzini casserole in a freezer safe dish. When opting to freeze this dinner, I usually choose a foil pan for freezing. Cover with foil and freeze for up to two months.
To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake accordingly.
Absolutely. Leave out the mushrooms or add in extra depending on your taste buds. You can also add in fresh cut broccoli florets!
Yes. Before baking, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove from fridge and add 10-15 minutes baking time.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Massaman Curry
- Chicken Taco Soup
- 16 ounce thin spaghetti cooked (or any of your favorite noodles)
- 2 cups cooked chicken about 1 pound
- ½ cup unsalted butter plus more for buttering pan
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine 1/2 cup butter, cooked chicken, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper and white wine. Add cooked noodles.
- Pour into a buttered 13×9. Sprinkle both cheeses on top.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- May be made in advance and refrigerated (before cooking). However, add time if that is the case to heat thoroughly! Enjoy!
- Can you freeze Chicken Tetrazzini? Yes! Assemble the chicken tetrazzini casserole in a freezer safe dish. When opting to freeze this dinner, I usually choose a foil pan for freezing. Cover with foil and freeze for up to two months.To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake accordingly.
- Can I make tetrazzini with or without mushrooms? Absolutely. Leave out the mushrooms or add in extra depending on your taste buds. You can also add in fresh cut broccoli florets!
- Can Chicken Tetrazzini be made ahead of time? Yes. Before baking, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.When ready to bake, remove from fridge and add 10-15 minutes baking time.
- See blog post for more recipe tips, tricks, and ingredient substitutions.
Creamy baked Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is the best weeknight dinner recipe your family will love! Easy and delicious.