Chicken Tetrazzini is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish that the whole family will love. Easy to make and freezer friendly, it’s a great casserole to share with friends.
Use up some leftover turkey breast and whip up a dish of this easy, cheesy Turkey Tetrazzini for the holidays!
Table of Contents
Comfort Food for Dinner
Two of my children have left the nest, and this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is what they always request when they come home.
It’s delicious comfort food, a great recipe, and easy to make ahead of time too!
This is also one of those recipes I like to keep on hand for when I want to bring a family in need a hearty meal, or a new mom a dinner! It gets rave reviews, and I even made a video tutorial to show you how to make chicken tetrazzini!
This cheesy dish needs to happen in your kitchen. It makes a big 13×9 pan, but you can split it into two dishes (2qt or 8-inch square) and share it with a neighbor or friend in need!
This dish ALWAYS gets people asking for the recipe, and once you try it, you’ll understand why our family loved it!!
FAVORITE PASTA DINNERS: Penne Rosa | Pizza Stuffed Shells
- Chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken- we love this easy shredded chicken recipe!
- Cream Soup- Every instinct is going to make you want to sub for something homemade and from scratch, but this is one of those times that comfort food wins, and the canned stuff just tastes better!
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream– or plain greek yogurt
- Dry white wine– (or chicken broth)
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Spaghetti noodles – can also use any other pasta of choice.
- onions, garlic, and mushrooms optional
How to make Chicken Tetrazzini
- Cook the chicken. You’ll want to start by baking chicken or using leftover turkey, rotisserie chicken, or leftover cooked chicken. If I’m in a hurry, I’ll boil some boneless skinless chicken breasts in a pot of water with salt and pepper to use in this cheesy dish!
- Cook the pasta. Pick your favorite kind of pasta and cook it until al dente.
What is al dente pasta? It just means that the pasta is still slightly firm. Because you will be baking this dish, you don’t want your pasta too soft and mushy!
- Combine Ingredients. While you are cooking pasta and chicken, combine the remaining ingredients in a very large bowl. Add your hot pasta and your cooked (diced) chicken to the bowl and mix until blended.
- Assemble and Bake. Pour into a large 13×9 baking dish (or two smaller pans). Bake covered for about 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Make in Advance: Refrigerate and cover until ready to heat. If cooking from cold, add bake for one hour, then uncovered for 20 minutes. ENJOY.
Chicken Tetrazzini is one of those easy dinner recipes that goes great with any green salad or garlic bread!
- Easy, buttery Beer Bread recipe to serve with dinner! Also great to cube into bite sized pieces and use for dips!
- This delicious Spinach and Bacon Salad is a breeze to prepare! The sweet dressing with the salty bacon keeps you wanting more!
- Looking for a fresh bowl of homemade applesauce for dinner tonight? This Instant Pot Applesauce recipe is super quick and easy!
- Don’t forget to finish the meal with a fresh batch or rice krispie treats!
Yes! Assemble the chicken tetrazzini casserole in a freezer safe dish. When opting to freeze this dinner, I usually choose a foil pan for freezing. Cover with foil and freeze for up to two months.
To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake accordingly.
Serve this delicious pasta dish with Olive Garden breadsticks and Italian salad for the perfect meal.
Absolutely. Leave out the mushrooms or add in extra depending on your taste buds. You can also add in fresh cut broccoli florets!
Yes. Before baking, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove from fridge and add 10-15 minutes baking time.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Massaman Curry
- Chicken Taco Soup
- 16 ounce thin spaghetti cooked (or any of your favorite noodles)
- 2 cups cooked chicken about 1 pound
- ½ cup unsalted butter plus more for buttering pan
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine 1/2 cup butter, cooked chicken, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper and white wine. Add cooked noodles.
- Pour into a buttered 13×9. Sprinkle both cheeses on top.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- May be made in advance and refrigerated (before cooking). However, add time if that is the case to heat thoroughly! Enjoy!
- Can you freeze Chicken Tetrazzini? Yes! Assemble the chicken tetrazzini casserole in a freezer safe dish. When opting to freeze this dinner, I usually choose a foil pan for freezing. Cover with foil and freeze for up to two months.To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake accordingly.
- Can I make tetrazzini with or without mushrooms? Absolutely. Leave out the mushrooms or add in extra depending on your taste buds. You can also add in fresh cut broccoli florets!
- Can Chicken Tetrazzini be made ahead of time? Yes. Before baking, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.When ready to bake, remove from fridge and add 10-15 minutes baking time.
- See blog post for more recipe tips, tricks, and ingredient substitutions.
Creamy baked Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is the best weeknight dinner recipe your family will love! Easy and delicious.
I am currently making this for tonight and I cannot wait to taste it. It smells so good already, I did however use one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can cream of chicken soup. I will be adding Cilantro to my plate when it’s done baking I eat it on everything lol.
This is an easy good recipe. Will add green chili next time just cause I can.
Delicious! I spice it up a bit with garlic and onion and add a little cheddar cheese soup
Crispy onions on top
Love it !
This is excellent. I would recommend sautéing chopped celery and mushrooms in the butter. I used Spring Hill Farms bagged, chopped chicken breasts. I would not deviate from using spaghetti or angel hair pasta.
Your recipe is almost identical to mine. I am allergic to chicken and can’t even taste this but it smells incredible. I make it for my husband; he eats it for a couple meals and we freeze the rest (6 servings). When frozen I transfer to six Seal a Meal bags and he can grab it from the freezer when he wants. For my chicken, I buy the precooked rotisserie chicken breasts at Costco. This has been a huge family hit for years.
This looks yummy and easy! I’m making it for dinner tonight. I’ll be adding chopped green chile because we eat almost everything with green chile.
That sounds like a delicious addition!
Can I substitute the dry white wine, prefer to not use wine of any sort! Any ideas??
Chicken broth will work. The wine gives a nice tang though!
Is it same measurements if your using chicken broth? 1/2 cup?
Can I freeze the chicken tetrazzini if I put mushrooms and onions in it? I think it should be okay but just not sure about the mushrooms.
You sure can!
Can I sub the Mozzella Cheese for Cheddar???
You can, but it will change the flavor.
I don’t know how you didn’t the measurements or ingredients just scroll down it right there in black n white
Can you use cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken?
I made this dish and it was absolutely amazing. My family loved it. I added another ingredient, 1/4 cup of chicken broth, just to thin out the sauce a little. The combination of ingredients in this recipe is a big winner! Thanks for sharing Aimee! Happy holidays.