Warming and hearty Chicken Taco Soup cooks up easily in the slow cooker. Topped with crispy tortilla strips and shredded cheese, this is an easy meal the whole family will love.
Ideal Slow Cooker Recipe
Digging into a steaming bowl of soup at the end of a long day is one of my favorite things in life.
The only thing I love more than good soup recipe is a good slow cooker soup recipe! What’s not to love about a recipe that you can toss in a CrockPot, set and forget about while it turns into a flavorful soup?
Using taco seasoning and jarred salsa, this soup couldn’t be any easier to make. Since it’s far different from my favorite Tortilla Soup, I decided the name “Taco Soup” would be most appropriate!
As the soup slowly cooks, the chicken becomes tender and marinated with Mexican spices that remind me of the best Chicken Tacos.
Get it started in the morning and by dinner time you’ll have a hearty meal guaranteed to have everyone coming back for a second bowl.
Not to mention how wonderful your kitchen smells when a batch of soup is cooking all day! When I was making this recipe for the first time, everyone in my house wandered into the kitchen one by one to ask what smelled so good.
By dinner time we were all more than ready to give Taco Soup a try. The silence that fell over the table as we all tasted the soup for the first time confirmed that it tasted even better than it smelled.
How to make Chicken Taco Soup
This soup is full of juicy shredded chicken, colorful veggies and just the right amount of heat. As far as from-scratch soup recipes go, it could hardly get any easier.
STEP 1. Prepare the Soup
Here’s what you put right into the slow cooker:
- chicken breasts – chicken thighs are great in this recipe too!
- green pepper
- salsa (I use jarred medium heat salsa)
- chicken stock
- Mexicorn (or your favorite canned corn )
- tomato paste 1/2 onion, diced
- taco seasoning
Turn the slow cooker on to the “low” setting and let cook for 6 – 8 hours.
STEP 2. Shred the Chicken
Half an hour before serving, remove the chicken, shred it and return it to the pot. Taste for spice level and adjust accordingly.
Served just as is, this Taco Soup is delicious. I, however, like to add just two more ingredients to make a thicker, creamier chicken soup that balances out the spices oh so well.
OPTIONAL – STEP 3. Add sour cream and cream cheese.
Add sour cream and cream cheese to the crock pot and stir until well combined. I’ve served this soup both with and without the addition of sour cream and cream cheese and loved it both ways.
What toppings go on taco soup?
When I served this for dinner, I set up a little “soup bar” with different toppings so everyone could customize their bowls.
My perfect bowl of chicken taco soup is topped with crispy corn tortilla strips, shredded cheese and a scoop of guacamole.
Don’t be shy with the shredded cheese; I love when it starts to melt into the soup giving every bite extra cheesy goodness.
Taco soup is also tasty topped with Pico de Gallo, sour cream, corn chips or flour tortilla strips!
I’ve also been known to eat a bowl of two “naked”–it’s good every which way.
- Feel free to adjust the level of heat in this recipe according to your preferences. This soup is definitely not overly spicy but if you’re sensitive to eat, use a mild salsa and less taco seasoning. Likewise, to increase the heat use your favorite hot salsa. A little hot sauce served on top will also amp up the heat levels!
- This recipe makes enough soup to feed a crowd–or to have leftovers! Taco Soup keeps well covered in the fridge for a few days and also freezes beautifully. I like to make a pot for dinner then enjoy the leftovers for lunches throughout the week.
- I use canned Mexicorn when I make chicken taco soup because I love the added red and green bell peppers. Feel free to substitute regular canned corn if you prefer!
- A bowl of this soup makes a satisfying meal. It can also be served in cups as a side dish or starter coarse to a Mexican dinner.
- Swap out the chicken for turkey and make a delicious Turkey Taco Soup recipe.
I seriously love this slow cooker soup recipe and I hope you enjoy it just as much!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Chicken Lime Enchiladas
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Pineapple Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Turkey
- Taco Potato Boats
- Baked Pork Chops
- Lasagna Recipe
- Meatloaf Recipe
A lightly spicy soup made even more delicious with the addition of sour cream, Chicken Taco Soup is easy enough for a weeknight meal but impressive enough to share with company.