Healthy and light, fresh Cucumber Tomato Salad is a delicious summer side dish. No dressing needed for this easy recipe!
Serve this fresh salad with Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin or these Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches for a hearty meal. You won’t even need to turn on the stove!
Why This Salad is Best
Salad should be more than a handful of lettuce leaves tossed together as an afterthought. Today’s Cucumber Tomato Salad brings color and flavor to your table in one easy recipe!
- Garden fresh vegetables make this salad explode with flavor.
- It’s packed with nourishing ingredients that taste great, too.
- Unlike other salads that are drowning in dressing, ours is simply tossed with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- A delicious, healthy alternative to mayo-based salads for summer time.
- Goes well with just about any main course!
There are plenty of recipes for cucumber salad with tomatoes on the Internet for a good reason: those two ingredients taste AMAZING together.
Along with cucumber and tomato, I add a few other ingredients to my salad that give it even more satisfying flavor, color and texture.
Here’s everything you need to make the BEST cucumber tomato salad.
- Cucumber – I use English cucumbers, which are also known as white or “garden” cucumbers.
- Cherry tomatoes – They have the juiciest, sweetest tomato flavor and the small size means you’ll have less chopping to do!
- White onion – You could use red onion if you prefer a sharper onion flavor, but I like the milder onion for this recipe.
- Cilantro – The fresher the better!
- Lime juice – The tangy citrus enhances the flavors of the tomato and cucumber.
- Kosher salt – to season the salad before serving.
How to make a Cucumber Tomato Salad
Begin by washing all your fresh vegetables and herbs, including your cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
Prep the Veggies.
Peel and slice your cucumbers, and I also cut each cherry tomato in half as they were quite large. By cutting them in half, they also absorb some of the delicious lime juice you pour on them!
Peel and slice your onions thin. I like to keep them bigger so my picky onion haters can remove them without whining!
Add it all together.
Once you have your cumbers, tomatoes, and onion in a bowl, squeeze the juice of two limes over the salad. Add a pinch of kosher salt and about 1/2 cup of chopped, fresh cilantro. Stir and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- The best thing about salads is how easy they are to adjust to your own taste buds. Want a tangier salad? Add more lime juice. Don’t like onion? Feel free to leave it out.
- Fresh cucumber tomato salad tastes best served right away. You can also prep it a few hours ahead of time, if needed.
- Salad prepped ahead of time should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Wondering what to serve with cucumber tomato salad?
I’ve got great news: this salad goes well with all kinds of meals.
I love a helping of fresh salad alongside hearty dishes like this Balsamic Pork Tenderloin. It’s also perfect with roasted chicken, burgers and these Beef Gyro!
Absolutely! If you’re a cilantro hater, feel free to skip it in this recipe.
Parsley would make a perfect fresh herb substitute for the cilantro here. It has a milder taste and aroma that many people prefer, and it’s readily available at almost every grocery store.
You can, but it will not taste as fresh and the onions may lose some of their crunch. For best taste, I recommend making it no more than 3-4 hours before you plan to serve it.
I prefer to peel the cucumbers before using them in salads, but it’s up to you!
Favorite Summer Salads
- You’ll love this garden fresh Cucumber Dill Salad! Serve it up with your next summer meal for a crisp, savory, flavorful bite!
- This Roasted Corn Salad recipe was given to me by a neighbor. I’ve made it 4 times in the past two weeks, it’s that good! The honey-lime dressing gives a touch of sweetness to the veggies!
- Every potluck needs this Broccoli Salad on the table. It’s tangy and sweet and the perfect summer side dish!
- Chinese Coleslaw with ramen noodles is crunchy and sweet and irresistible.
- Fresh tomatoes and garden-grown basil come together to create the most delicious and EASY Bruschetta recipe. Use bagel chips or toasted bread to dip, or add this mixture to pasta with cheese!
More Salad Recipes
- Pasta Salad – with Shrimp
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Egg Salad
- Potato Salad
- Harvest Salad
- Taffy Apple salad
- Pretzel Salad
Hi, I have a question, can you make the Cucumber Tomato Salad the day before?
Am upset to see the comment from Elliot Roland……….what in gods name has it got to do with this recipe. Don’t you proofread your comments first. Last time I will look at your website.
SOmetimes these spam comments slip through the cracks. With over 1300 recipes I get a lot of comments daily. Deleting that one now, thank you for letting me know.
This looks so tasty! I can’t wait to try this!
The perfect salad for summer!! I can’t wait to try it!!
This is such an amazing flavor combo!! Would love to try it!
This salad had all my favorite things in it! It’s so fresh and I cannot wait to dig into this.
So refreshing and a delicious way to enjoy summer’s harvest?
So perfect for summer!
I should make this. Our garden is overflowing with cherry tomatoes right now!