Watermelon Slush

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 15, 2013

A quick, refreshing slush made using frozen watermelon, lime juice, and water!

Watermelon Slushie: freeze watermelon cubes and blend with lime juice for a refreshing slushie drink!

Sometimes summer just needs to slow down. I hate when we are so busy that the days just blur into each other!

This watermelon slush is a great way to keep summer going. We have enjoyed a few very fresh and ripe watermelons. Did you know you can freeze watermelon?

We lay our watermelon on a metal cookie sheet after cutting it into cubes (without the rind). Stick the tray in the freezer for an hour or so, then remove the frozen cubes and put them in a large ziploc freezer bag. These cubes are great for putting into your water or lemonade, instead of using ice cubes.

Or, stick your frozen cubes into a blender with some lime juice and water and enjoy a fresh slushie! No sugar needed for this drink. You can also add a splash of vodka to enjoy this slushie in an adult beverage!

So, if you’re kids are headed back to school and you want to keep the summer vibe going just a little longer, surprise them with a watermelon slush!

Watermelon Slush

Prep Time: 1 hour

Yield: 2 drinks

• 4 cup frozen watermelon cubes
  • 2 whole limes, juiced
  • 1/2-1 cup water

1. Cube watermelon and freeze on metal cookie sheet. Remove from cookie sheet and place in a ziploc freezer bag for storage in freezer. Remove 4 cups of watermelon cubes and place in blender. Add juice from 2 limes and about 1/2 cup water. Blend until desired consistency. Add more water if needed. Pour into two glasses and enjoy with a lime slice!

Notes

Add shot of vodka to make into an adult beverage.

I love a refreshing summer drink. These Nutella Coffee Milkshakes are easy to whip up, and SO good!

nutella-coffee-milkshakes-

Want a fun watermelon treats? These cupcakes are not only adorable, but they taste amazing too!

watermelon cupcakes

Want some more fun recipes like this? Check these out….

Peanut butter Banana Coffee Milkshakes from Inside BruCrew Life

Watermelon Cooler from Dine & Dish

Watermelon on a Stick from Tidymom

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig August 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

Watermelon is my absolute favorite way to celebrate summer…this is gorgeous!
Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig recently posted..My Trip to Black Gold Farms ~ Arbyrd, MissouriMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets August 15, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thanks Cathy! To me, nothing says summer quite like watermelon!

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life August 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I have a bag full of frozen watermelon cubes in the freezer right now! So making this this afternoon, perfect for refreshing and cooling off!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Hummingbird Ice CreamMy Profile

Kathy August 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

What a great idea! I so need to do this soon!
Kathy recently posted..Summertime RisottoMy Profile

Eva @ Eva Bakes August 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm

My parents used to make fresh watermelon juice in the summertime (courtesy of our blender). I like that this is just a simple variation on that nostalgic beverage. The optional shot of liquor sounds like a must-have as well. :)
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Roasted red cherry Greek yogurt coffee cakeMy Profile

carolinaheartstrings August 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm

This is just terrific. I have never had this, but certainly plan on giving it a try. YUM.

Suzanne August 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Yum simple and refreshing, I would love the slush on a hot Summer day! Those cupcakes are adorable too.
Suzanne recently posted..Spiced Peach JamMy Profile

Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life August 16, 2013 at 12:41 am

Yummy! I love watermelon! Love your presentation!
Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life recently posted..Watermelon Agua FrescaMy Profile

Des August 16, 2013 at 1:01 am

I have not had nearly enough watermelon this summer. And now it’s almost over! Must try this soon!
Des recently posted..Spicy Grilled Sweet and Sour ChickenMy Profile

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 16, 2013 at 2:07 am

This sounds so refreshing on a hot summer day. I love watermelon! Pinning!
Anne ~ Uni Homemaker recently posted..Pumpkin Ale Brown Butter Blondies + Happy 1 Year Uni Homemaker!My Profile

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Photography August 16, 2013 at 9:38 am

YUM! This looks so delightful and delicious!!
Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Photography recently posted..Mother and Daughter Outing: Hotel Sleepover with FriendsMy Profile

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

Great idea! I like the pssible vodka addition ;)
Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper recently posted..Chicken Breasts with Dried CherriesMy Profile

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats August 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

This looks so fresh and easy! Love it! And I’ll all for prolonging summer as much as possible!
Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats recently posted..Biscoff Krispie Mallow Bars #BiscoffSpreadsLoveMy Profile

Eat Good 4 Life August 16, 2013 at 4:01 pm

This looks fabulous and so refreshing. I would love to have this right now. The pictures are so enticing :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Pineapple, mango and basil popsiclesMy Profile

Abbie August 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This is so simple and pretty! It looks super tasty, too. Pinning! :D
Abbie recently posted..pink lemonade with frozen berriesMy Profile

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry August 16, 2013 at 5:38 pm

MMM this sounds incredibly refreshing!
Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry recently posted..Crispy Pound Cake French ToastMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny August 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Oh yum! This drink looks ultra refreshing :)
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Bananas Foster MilkshakeMy Profile

Jackie B May 27, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I made these yesterday for Memorial Day with fresh squeezed lemon… Yum! Must try I also added extra ice, must try!!!

aimee @ shugarysweets May 28, 2014 at 8:53 am

Oooh, with lemon! Great idea!

sandi May 29, 2014 at 7:03 pm

just how much sugar is in watermelon? This slushy sounds amazing – especially with the lemons (thanks Jackie B) and the dash of booze – yum…

Marissa @ Life is Fantasmic June 3, 2014 at 9:48 am

YUM!!! Pinned! I would love for you to share this at my Saturday Dishes Link Party this weekend! This week’s theme will be Mocktails & Kid-Friendly Drinks! Feel free to share other old or new posts that fit the theme as well if you have them! (:

Marissa @ Life is Fantasmic recently posted..Saturday Dishes – Grad PartyMy Profile