Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

A delicious, sweet Cheeseball filled with Maraschino Cherries and mini Chocolate Chips! Perfect for Valentine’s Day!!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball- a delicious twist on a classic sweet cheeseball recipe!

I’m obsessed with maraschino cherries. Always have been! Actually my whole family is obsessed with those sweet cherries.

As I planned out some new Valentine’s Day treats, cherries always came to mind. If you scroll to the end of this post, you will see some of the delicious cherry flavored treats I’ve shared in the past!

Some people are crazy about peanut butter, or chocolate, or even mint…for me, it’s cherries. Sweet red maraschino cherries. I seriously snack on them right out of the jar!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball recipe

This dip is incredibly easy to make. You can serve it one of two ways. Whip it up, don’t coat it in mini chocolate chips, and just serve immediately in a bowl with crackers, pretzels, fruit, etc. OR, if you have a little time, make it the night before allowing it to firm up some so it can be rolled in mini chocolate chips. It’s still soft, but presentable!!

A few days ago I was chatting with my friend Jocelyn. She mentioned she made an incredible cherry pecan dip, and we realized we both had once again made similar recipes! So if you don’t know Jocelyn, head over to her blog today to see HER cherry chocolate chip dip!!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

Prep Time: 4 hours

• 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
  • 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Add cherry juice and powdered sugar until fully blended. Fold in chopped cherries and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
  2. At this point you can either serve immediately...or continue on to make as a cheeseball.
  3. For the cheeseball, line a rounded bowl with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into bowl, bringing up sides of plastic wrap to cover the top. Refrigerate overnight.
  4. When ready to serve, invert cheeseball onto serving plate and press remaining 1/2 cup mini chips into the cheeseball. Serve with graham crackers, animal cookies, apple slices, pretzels, etc!!

Notes

**Having made this several times, it occasionally comes out too soft to set up. I have yet to figure out the rhyme or reason why sometimes it's soft, and sometimes it sets up fine. When it it too soft, rolling it in chocolate chips does help! Or putting it in a bowl and serving as a dip works too!

Love CHERRY desserts? Here are a few of my favorites…

cherry-chocolate-chip-shortbread-

Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies: great use for those maraschino cherries!!

cherry buttercream

Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Buttercream…these melt in your mouth!

cherry-fudge

Cherry Fudge with Dark Chocolate: this is a hit every time I make it!

48 Responses to “Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball”

1. posted Jan 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I love that our brain thinks the same on desserts! Your cheese ball is amazing looking! I love all the extra chocolate chips on the outside!!!

2. posted Jan 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I love maraschino cherries! I bet with the tangy cream cheese this is perfect! pinned

3. posted Jan 19, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Love cherries and chocolate…Yum!

4. posted Jan 19, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I guess the hard part would actually be trying to decide what to eat with this dip! Maybe just a spoon? haha.

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:05 am

A spoon totally works Julianne. Or a graham cracker shovel :)

5. posted Jan 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm

This is another great sweet cheese ball! Looks delicious and I bet taste even better!!

6. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 7:08 am

So cute that you and Jocelyn did similar things! They both look equally delicious and I need to make ’em both!
    I have actually never made a cheeseball, but there is a first time for everything! Especially when that first times includes chocolate and cherries!

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

Jocelyn is adorable, and so is her food and photos!!! I think you totally need to give this dip/cheeseball a try.

7. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 9:23 am

Looks SO good! I could totally eat that for breakfast. It has fruit in it, so it would be OK – right?

8. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 11:23 am

I saw this “Trackback” on Jocelyn’s site and had to come see your version! Both versions are SO pretty, and unique!! I love all this red, pink and white for V-Day. Oh, and those cherry shortbread bars you have pictured up above look AMAZING!! Going to check those out right now!!

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:08 am

I forgot how much I love those cherry shortbread bars!! So glad you stopped over Renee!!

9. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Cherries!! I LOVE them!! I think I need to try every single recipe you have here. The shortbread cookies looks fabulous…. and the fudge. Oh that fudge… superb. Wonderful post! :-)

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thanks Prudy!! That fudge is one of our favorites (as is this cheeseball)!

10. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I’m pretty much obsessed with peanut butter but I am also a huge fan of the maraschino cherries! I eat them right out of the jar and could eat the whole jar if I didn’t control myself! Great recipe, Aimee! Pinned and sharing on social media. :)

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yeah, guilty of eating an entire jar :) Thanks for sharing Julie!!

11. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

How freakin cute and adorable is this cheeseball? I love the cute pink color!!

12. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I’m sure I couldn’t keep my hands off this. It looks gorgeous!

• posted Jan 21, 2014 at 10:16 am

It was very hard to have self control around this cheeseball :)

13. posted Jan 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This could very well be the prettiest cheeseball I’ve ever seen! 😀 Love the colors and flavors, Aimee! So perfect for V-day coming up.

14. posted Jan 22, 2014 at 12:35 pm

This is so pretty and so tempting! I love it!

15. posted Jan 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cheese ball! Maraschino cherries are my favorite EVER…sometimes I order a shirley temple just to eat the cherries! LOL This would make a very cute appetizer for a V-Day party. Pinned!

16. posted Jan 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Ah-mazing! And perfect for Valentine’s Day!

17. posted Jan 25, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Oh goodness, I’m drooling here! Cherry/chocolate heaven :)

18. posted Jan 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Does this have to be refrigerated ?

19. Amanda
    posted Feb 11, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I LOVED the taste of this but there was no amount of fridge time that made mine set up like yours. Then I looked over the ingredients and realized this is basically my recipe for cream cheese frosting and all made sense. In all sincerity, how on earth did yours set up all pretty. Regardless, eating it out of a bowl was not a sad situation. YUMMY is an understatement!!!

• Heidi
      posted Feb 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

I was just coming on to see what I might have done wrong as mine is still very soft and has been in the fridge for a day. I’m afraid I’m going to put it on a plate to serve it and it’s just going to flop. Very yummy though!

• posted Feb 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I have made these several times now, and for whatever reason 2 of the 5 times it came out soft, like you have said. I can’t figure out what was different (maybe beating it too long? maybe extra juicy cherries???). The first time, I filled a bowl with the chocolate chips, dropped the dip into the bowl and covered it with more chips. Using my hands I patted it into a ball and it worked. The second time it was too soft and I served it in a bowl. Delicious, but way soft!! Sorry.

20. Anonymous
    posted Feb 28, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I just made this. Needless to say very disappointed. I followed this to a T, added my juice as directed came out extremely liquidy. If I make it again I will not put the juice in.

• posted Mar 2, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear that. Did you allow it time in fridge to set up? Hopefully you were still able to enjoy as a dip instead of a cheeseball then?

21. Rebecca A
    posted Mar 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I think I’m going to have to make this dairy free! My boys and I love cherries but the homemade ones are the best. Yes, we make our own maraschino cherries. Yes it takes three days but they are so good it’s worth it.

• posted Apr 1, 2014 at 9:52 am

I had no idea you can make your own!! What a fun thing to do :)

22. Amanda Hotchkin
    posted May 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I love looking at all of your recipes that you post. I tried the cherry cheese ball one this weekend and it was super good. At first I tried it with gram crackers which were good but I am not a huge fan a gram crackers so my dad had a great idea to try it on a bagel which i must say was the best idea ever. It was so good and what a good way to have a super good snack or even breakfast. I am going to try the cherry fudge next because I am addicted to this cherry flavor.

23. Pingback: Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball | What2Cook

24. posted Sep 8, 2014 at 11:39 pm

PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE This is pure delight for your taste buds.

CHERRY-MINT CHOCOLATE a burst of cherry zest

Both are great flavour

25. posted Dec 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I just finished making this for a Christmas lunch tomorrow. Sad to say it just turned into what looks like frosting. Nothing remotely cheese BALL like at all.

26. Pingback: 25 Valentine's Day Dessert Recipes

27. Pingback: Easy Cherry Pie Bars

28. posted Feb 18, 2015 at 11:46 pm

This is an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I can’t wait to try it.

29. posted Feb 24, 2015 at 8:30 am

CHERRY-MINT CHOCOLATE a burst of cherry zest both are great flavour

30. Jessica Jacobson
    posted Mar 6, 2015 at 3:19 am

I’m hoping to make this next weekend for a women’s retreat dessert. If I make it with raspberries, what do I do for the juice? HELP!

31. Pingback: 17 Lovely Desserts And Sweets Recipes - Picture of Worlds