Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 19, 2014

A delicious, sweet Cheeseball filled with Maraschino Cherries and mini Chocolate Chips! Perfect for Valentine’s Day!!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

I’m obsessed with maraschino cherries. Always have been! Actually my whole family is obsessed with those sweet cherries.

As I planned out some new Valentine’s Day treats, cherries always came to mind. If you scroll to the end of this post, you will see some of the delicious cherry flavored treats I’ve shared in the past!

Some people are crazy about peanut butter, or chocolate, or even mint…for me, it’s cherries. Sweet red maraschino cherries. I seriously snack on them right out of the jar!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball recipe

This dip is incredibly easy to make. You can serve it one of two ways. Whip it up, don’t coat it in mini chocolate chips, and just serve immediately in a bowl with crackers, pretzels, fruit, etc. OR, if you have a little time, make it the night before allowing it to firm up some so it can be rolled in mini chocolate chips. It’s still soft, but presentable!!

A few days ago I was chatting with my friend Jocelyn. She mentioned she made an incredible cherry pecan dip, and we realized we both had once again made similar recipes! So if you don’t know Jocelyn, head over to her blog today to see HER cherry chocolate chip dip!!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

Prep Time: 4 hours

• 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
  • 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Add cherry juice and powdered sugar until fully blended. Fold in chopped cherries and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
  2. At this point you can either serve immediately...or continue on to make as a cheeseball.
  3. For the cheeseball, line a rounded bowl with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into bowl, bringing up sides of plastic wrap to cover the top. Refrigerate overnight.
  4. When ready to serve, invert cheeseball onto serving plate and press remaining 1/2 cup mini chips into the cheeseball. Serve with graham crackers, animal cookies, apple slices, pretzels, etc!!

Notes

**Having made this several times, it occasionally comes out too soft to set up. I have yet to figure out the rhyme or reason why sometimes it's soft, and sometimes it sets up fine. When it it too soft, rolling it in chocolate chips does help! Or putting it in a bowl and serving as a dip works too!

Love CHERRY desserts? Here are a few of my favorites…

cherry-chocolate-chip-shortbread-

Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies: great use for those maraschino cherries!!

cherry buttercream

Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Buttercream…these melt in your mouth!

cherry-fudge

Cherry Fudge with Dark Chocolate: this is a hit every time I make it!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I love that our brain thinks the same on desserts! Your cheese ball is amazing looking! I love all the extra chocolate chips on the outside!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Cherry Chocolate Chip DipMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I love the pecans in your recipe :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Cherry Chocolate Chip CheeseballMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I love maraschino cherries! I bet with the tangy cream cheese this is perfect! pinned

aimee @ shugarysweets January 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for pinning Averie!!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 19, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Love cherries and chocolate…Yum!
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Copycat Cracker Barrel Cheesy HashbrownsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

it’s a great combo :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Buffalo Meatballs with Homemade Blue Cheese DipMy Profile

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting January 19, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I guess the hard part would actually be trying to decide what to eat with this dip! Maybe just a spoon? haha.
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..S’mores Red Velvet Waffle StacksMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:05 am

A spoon totally works Julianne. Or a graham cracker shovel :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm

This is another great sweet cheese ball! Looks delicious and I bet taste even better!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Pesto and Bacon Pizza AppetizerMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

Thanks Nancy :)

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness January 20, 2014 at 7:08 am

So cute that you and Jocelyn did similar things! They both look equally delicious and I need to make ‘em both!
I have actually never made a cheeseball, but there is a first time for everything! Especially when that first times includes chocolate and cherries!
Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted..Skinnier Cornbread Waffles With Pulled Pork And Maple Apple Chutney {Whole Wheat}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

Jocelyn is adorable, and so is her food and photos!!! I think you totally need to give this dip/cheeseball a try.

Stephanie @ PlainChicken January 20, 2014 at 9:23 am

Looks SO good! I could totally eat that for breakfast. It has fruit in it, so it would be OK – right?
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Sausage & Grits ChowderMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:08 am

I love the way you think!!!

Renee@ Two in the Kitchen January 20, 2014 at 11:23 am

I saw this “Trackback” on Jocelyn’s site and had to come see your version! Both versions are SO pretty, and unique!! I love all this red, pink and white for V-Day. Oh, and those cherry shortbread bars you have pictured up above look AMAZING!! Going to check those out right now!!
Renee@ Two in the Kitchen recently posted..Strawberry Buttercream Frosted Chocolate CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:08 am

I forgot how much I love those cherry shortbread bars!! So glad you stopped over Renee!!

Prudy January 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Cherries!! I LOVE them!! I think I need to try every single recipe you have here. The shortbread cookies looks fabulous…. and the fudge. Oh that fudge… superb. Wonderful post! :-)
Prudy recently posted..Potato PancakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thanks Prudy!! That fudge is one of our favorites (as is this cheeseball)!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks January 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I’m pretty much obsessed with peanut butter but I am also a huge fan of the maraschino cherries! I eat them right out of the jar and could eat the whole jar if I didn’t control myself! Great recipe, Aimee! Pinned and sharing on social media. :)
Julie @ This Gal Cooks recently posted..Marvelous Mondays Link Party 82My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yeah, guilty of eating an entire jar :) Thanks for sharing Julie!!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

How freakin cute and adorable is this cheeseball? I love the cute pink color!!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Lemon Crumble MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:16 am

Thank you Jocelyn!! Love pink treats :)

Megan - The Emotional Baker January 20, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I’m sure I couldn’t keep my hands off this. It looks gorgeous!
Megan – The Emotional Baker recently posted..Easy Cinnamon Rolls with SprinklesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 21, 2014 at 10:16 am

It was very hard to have self control around this cheeseball :)

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain January 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This could very well be the prettiest cheeseball I’ve ever seen! :D Love the colors and flavors, Aimee! So perfect for V-day coming up.
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Drop Sugar CookiesMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny January 22, 2014 at 12:35 pm

This is so pretty and so tempting! I love it!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Spicy Penne alla Vodka {11 piece Anolon Cookware Giveway}My Profile

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled January 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cheese ball! Maraschino cherries are my favorite EVER…sometimes I order a shirley temple just to eat the cherries! LOL This would make a very cute appetizer for a V-Day party. Pinned!
Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled recently posted..Cherry Chocolate Chip BrowniesMy Profile

Tonia January 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Ah-mazing! And perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Tonia recently posted..Valentine’s Day Glitter Goo RecipeMy Profile

Lyuba@willcookforsmiles January 25, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Oh goodness, I’m drooling here! Cherry/chocolate heaven :)
Lyuba@willcookforsmiles recently posted..Show Stopper Saturday Link Party, Featuring Heart ProjectsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Lyuba!!

Danielle January 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Does this have to be refrigerated ?
Danielle recently posted..January RamblingsMy Profile

Amanda February 11, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I LOVED the taste of this but there was no amount of fridge time that made mine set up like yours. Then I looked over the ingredients and realized this is basically my recipe for cream cheese frosting and all made sense. In all sincerity, how on earth did yours set up all pretty. Regardless, eating it out of a bowl was not a sad situation. YUMMY is an understatement!!!

Heidi February 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

I was just coming on to see what I might have done wrong as mine is still very soft and has been in the fridge for a day. I’m afraid I’m going to put it on a plate to serve it and it’s just going to flop. Very yummy though!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I have made these several times now, and for whatever reason 2 of the 5 times it came out soft, like you have said. I can’t figure out what was different (maybe beating it too long? maybe extra juicy cherries???). The first time, I filled a bowl with the chocolate chips, dropped the dip into the bowl and covered it with more chips. Using my hands I patted it into a ball and it worked. The second time it was too soft and I served it in a bowl. Delicious, but way soft!! Sorry.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Neapolitan Krispie TreatsMy Profile

Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I just made this. Needless to say very disappointed. I followed this to a T, added my juice as directed came out extremely liquidy. If I make it again I will not put the juice in.

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear that. Did you allow it time in fridge to set up? Hopefully you were still able to enjoy as a dip instead of a cheeseball then?

Rebecca A March 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I think I’m going to have to make this dairy free! My boys and I love cherries but the homemade ones are the best. Yes, we make our own maraschino cherries. Yes it takes three days but they are so good it’s worth it.

aimee @ shugarysweets April 1, 2014 at 9:52 am

I had no idea you can make your own!! What a fun thing to do :)