Buttery Shortbread Cookies with the sweet addition of chocolate and cherries! With a pretty pink color and a chocolate drizzle, Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread looks as good as it tastes.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe is Amazing
Chocolate covered cherries are one of my husband’s favorite candies. I don’t make them often because I’m not the biggest fan. So, to compromise I took our two favorites (shortbread and chocolate cherries) and put them together!
These cookies are even better than those candies. Why? ‘Cause they’re cookies!
Filled with maraschino cherry flavor and plenty of chocolate chips, these Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies come together in no time at all. You’ll love this recipe!
If you love fruit in cookies, add our raspberry lemon cookies to your baking list. Fantastic!
- Maraschino cherries – Remove 5 cherries from the jar and chop into small pieces. You’ll need 1/4 cup of the cherry juice to mix into the shortbread dough.
- Powdered sugar – Using powdered sugar gives the shortbread a delicate crumb for perfect consistency.
- Butter – Use unsalted REAL butter for best taste. Shortbread cookies NEED butter! Use our tips and tricks on how to soften butter, we’ve got several ways to do it quickly!
- Mini chocolate chips – I prefer semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips paired with the cherry flavor.
Making shortbread hardly gets any easier! Beat the ingredients for the dough together in a bowl, folding in the mini chocolate chips and cherry pieces. Leave some of the chocolate morsels aside for the topping.
NOTE: the dough WILL be crumbly. Use your warm hands to bring it together in the bowl and patting it on the baking sheet.
Spread the dough in a rectangle on a baking sheet and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. After removing the pan from the oven, immediately slice the shortbread into strips and let cool.
Melt the remaining mini morsels and drizzle over the cookies. Let the chocolate set for a few minutes before eating or storing.
Mine measured about 14 x 9 inches and nearly filled a cookie sheet. The shortbread dough should be about an inch thick before baking. You could also press it into a 13×9 baking dish. If it’s thicker than it should be, just add a minute or two to the baking time.
I line my pan with parchment paper and use floured hands to press the dough evenly into the pan. This prevents the thick buttery dough from sticking to both the pan AND your fingers!
I sliced my baked shortbread into thirds first then into 1 inch strips lengthwise. A sharp knife or pizza cutter work great for making even cuts.
You can keep shortbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup maraschino cherry juice
- 5 maraschino cherries chopped
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips divided
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with powdered sugar for two minutes, until creamy. Add cherry juice, cherries, flour and salt. Beat until fully combined.
- Fold in 1/4 cup mini morsels.
- Spread dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. My dough measured about 14x9inch. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut immediately after removing from oven. I cut mine into strips by cutting in thirds lengthwise, then cutting one inch strips, width-wise.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup mini morsels. Put into a ziploc bag and cut off the corner. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow to set and enjoy!
- To spread cookie dough on parchment paper, dip fingertips (repeatedly) in flour to keep them from sticking.
- Store cookies in air tight container for up to one week.
Make these buttery Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies for all the chocolate covered cherries fans you know! In less than 30 minutes you’ll have enough delicious cherry shortbread to share with the whole family.