Peppermint Puppy Chow
Whether you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies, this delicious snack got a holiday makeover! Peppermint style.
Did you know you can buy Peppermint Chex Mix in the stores now? I believe they call it Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies Chex Mix. Yeah, for $4 a bag, which equates to one serving in my house.
Or, you can make your own and have a huge gallon sized ziploc bag full, ready to munch on all week long! I choose option B.
Or I should say, I CHOSE option B. Because that gallon sized bag is now empty. Waiting for refills. This was so good. My kids took it as their treat in their lunches for a week. Dare I mention how many times I treated myself to “just a bite.”
Puppy chow is so easy to make. I started by melting the vanilla candy coating in the microwave with the Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips. Pour it over your cereal, add some powdered sugar and crushed candy canes and you have yourself a delicious snack.
I stock up when I see those Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips in the stores. I think YOU should too, cause they run out of them early in the season! At least in my stores they do. If you can’t find them, you can use Ghirardelli Peppermint Bars, melted down. If you can’t find those, just add extra crushed candy canes to your melted chocolate. And if you can’t find those, go buy some Chex Mix. Ha!
And before you send me any hate mail, this is for HUMAN consumption. Not puppies. Yes, you’d be surprised at how many people think this is dog food. I grew up calling it puppy chow, but I hear many others refer to this treat as Muddy Buddies. It’s not made of mud either. Just sayin.
What’s your favorite holiday snack?
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Peppermint Puppy Chow
Yield: 12 cups
Prep Time:15 minutes
- 16oz Vanilla candy coating (candiquik)
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- 12 cup Chex cereal (I use a combination of the rice and the corn flavors)
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 6 regular sized Peppermint Candy Canes, crushed
- Place vanilla candy coating and peppermint crunch baking chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, mixing between each interval. Mine took 2 minutes total. Stir until smooth.
- Place cereal in a very large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over cereal. Add about 3/4 of the crushed candy canes. Mix until all the cereal is covered in chocolate. Add powdered sugar and stir until fully coated. Sprinkle with remaining peppermint candy canes. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
You may also want to check out my Christmas Holiday Cheer Pinterest Board. It’s filled with great holiday recipe ideas!
Now that you’ve stocked up on the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips, here are a few of my favorite recipes:
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**