Classic Rice Krispie Treats get a candy cane twist! Sticky and sweet with a cool minty kick, Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats taste even better when they’re dipped in white chocolate.
Love peppermint treats? Our chocolate peppermint grahams are so easy to make, and look so festive on holiday platters. Give our peppermint toffee a try next, for a crispy, chewy treat.
Why this Recipe Is Best
I have a serious love affair with Rice Krispie Treats. It all started in high school when my BFF and I would make a pan of plain krispie treats, cut the batch in half, and each eat a giant square!
But now that I’m all grown up (kinda), I like to make fancy treats and have perfected how to make rice krispie treats.
This peppermint version of the classic childhood dessert feels special enough to serve at any party or occasion.
- Thick and chewy treats based off our perfect rice krispie treat recipe.
- Peppermint marshmallows give this treat a festive flavor.
- Kids and adult love these treats!
Peppermint Krispie Treats make a delicious addition to your holiday celebrations!
- Peppermint Mini-Marshmallows – If you can’t find peppermint marshmallows, use our homemade peppermint marshmallows or regular marshmallows and add a drop of peppermint extract for more flavor.
- Mini Marshmallows– the combination of peppermint and regular marshmallows is perfect for these treats. You can also use our homemade marshmallows in this recipe.
- White Chocolate – Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers work beautifully in this recipe, they taste amazing and melt smooth. Dipping in white chocolate is completely optional.
- Rice cereal – Or try the recipe with other cereals. We love making krispie treats with Cheerios, corn chex or corn flakes to mix it up.
PRO TIP- We love making our own homemade vanilla extract, but if using store bought, be sure it’s pure extract, not imitation (for best flavor).
Tips & Tricks
- Use a LIGHT touch when pressing treats into the pan. The firmer you press, the harder the finished treats will be. We want SOFT and chewy treats here, so use your finger tips to lightly spread the batter into the pan without pushing firmly.
- Let the chocolate set for 15 minutes before enjoying. After dipping the treats into the chocolate, it’ll need time to firm up a bit. If you’re not patient, you’ll end up with white chocolate everywhere when you try to eat your peppermint krispie treats. Not the worst thing in the world, but I promise those extra few minutes are worth it.
- Use fresh ingredients. Wondering why your treats might be stale or hard? If you start with stale marshmallows and stale cereal, your result is, you guessed it, stale treats.
- Store treats in an airtight container. Keep the lid closed when you’re not enjoying your Rice Krispie Treats to ensure they stay soft and fresh. They taste best if eaten within 3 days.
I find thawed krispie treats far less delicious than fresh, so I don’t recommend freezing them. If you’re going to eat a rice krispie treat it should be the BEST krispie treat possible, right?
Yes. They do take more time to melt but you can cut them into smaller pieces to make them melt easier into the batter. For the peppermint marshmallows, stick with the mini size so you get perfect little bites of marshmallow in each rice krispie treat!
Yes. You can either double the recipe for the same thick treats, or use the recipe as is, and spread in a 13×9 dish. The treats will be thinner, but still delicious.
More Krispie Treat Flavors
Everything you love about Rice Krispie treats with extra holiday goodness! This Peppermint Krispie Treats recipe makes a delicious Christmas dessert that kids and adults alike can enjoy.
Ok, seriously. How did I not know about Candy Cane pudding?! Where has it been all life?
I think I just found my new favorite food blog! <3
Keep your eye out over the holidays. SO MUCH YUM. And glad you found me 🙂
I couldn’t find the Candy Cane pudding or Peppermint marshmallows. So I used Cheesecake pudding and crushed candy canes. It could of used a little peppermint extract for more of a peppermint flavor, but they were very good. And for future this is a great ‘base’ recipe to work with so many other flavor options. Thanks Aimee!!
Great job making it your own Tammi!! Happy Holidays 🙂
I am happy to hear that the JELL-O pudding is available at those stores because I looked on the JELL-O web site and it is not listed. I’m going to look for it.
I have looked everywhere for peppermint jello and marshmallows…where did you find them?
Hi Chris, I have found them at Walmart, Kroger and Meijer. I’ve heard KMart sells the JELL-O pudding too!!! Good luck, I hope you find them!!!
straws! I love straws… and I love your site. I do believe this is my first time here, you had me at crispie treats… 🙂
oops, I missed out 😉 anyway, good to “meet” you!
I would love cute cupcake liners!
I would love love love some fun paper straws, washi tape, and crafty items in my box!
I love the cupcake liners!
I’d love a little bit of all of the Pick Your Plum baking supplies. They are one of my “guilty pleasures”….sssshh, don’t tell the hubs!
Oh I hear ya! Don’t tell my hubs either!
I like making maple-bourbon monkey bread!
Bakers Twine! I just can’t get enough!
I’d love bakers twine in a variety of colors.
I’d be in heaven if there was $50 worth of cupcake liners in mine…I just love those dainty little papers!
Baking Goodies or sewing items!
I love the cupcake liners – always need more of those!
I really like the cupcake liners and also the straws
I am hoping for a little of everything lol. No I am always happy with whatever I get but recipes and ideas are always welcome! Thank you so much for a chance to win.
I could love a whole bunch of stuff!
I would love the staws!! I think my daughter would like to make these little krispie treats.and make them like a lollipop!