Milk Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies

Soft, chewy Milk Chocolate Cookies with Macadamia Nuts! These are fantastic warm out of the oven!

Milk Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies: soft, chewy cookies AKA Sausalito's #milkchocolate #macadamianut

I always forget to share cookie recipes with all of you. I make cookies at least once a week around here, but I put them immediately in the cookie jar and forget sometimes to take photos. Occasionally it’s an old recipe, but more often than not I try to make something new. I usually find inspiration by walking down the cookie aisle in the grocery store. I’ll see a package of Pepperidge Farm cookies and think, “oooh that sounds good.” And instead of paying $4 for a package of 12 cookies; I make my own!

These Milk Chocolate and Macadamia Nut cookies are my take on the Sausalito cookies from Pepperidge Farm.

My kids prefer to not have nuts in their cookies, except when it comes to macadamias. We ALL love macadamia nuts!

You can certainly use whatever NUT you prefer, pecans would be great in this cookie too.

This recipes makes about 3-5 dozen cookies, depending on how big you scoop them. For some of you that may be a lot of cookies! You can either bake them all, let them cool completely, then freeze your baked cookies in gallon sized ziploc freezer bags. OR,  my preference, is to freeze the dough. I scoop out the dough on a metal cookie sheet (the size I would normally scoop to bake). Freeze for one hour. Then stick all the frozen cookie dough balls into a ziploc freezer bag marked with the type of cookie and how to bake. This way you have cookie dough made and ready to bake. Which means, fresh baked cookies in minutes! I usually have to add a few minutes onto the bake time if I am baking them from frozen.

Here are some of my other favorite cookie recipes….

These Citrus Cookies are soft and chewy and filled with orange, lemon and lime zest! Rolled in sugar for some extra sweetness!

Citrus cookies from

Butterscotch Shortbread bars: these delicious, buttery cookie bars are simply amazing. The rich shortbread cookies with browned butter and butterscotch chips will keep you wanting more. Plus, they couldn’t be easier to make!

Butterscotch Shortbread Cookie Bars from

Whopper Cookie Bars: a malted cookie crust topped with a layer of fudge and chopped Whopper candies! These freeze and become the ultimate chewy malted cookie!

Whopper Cookie Bars from

Bite Sized Chocolate Chip Cookies dipped in Chocolate: the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe, then dipped in chocolate? Yeah, seriously.

Chocolate Dipped Cookies from

Love all these cookie recipes? Find more delicious recipes by following me on Pinterest:

Cookies, Brownies and Bars

Fudge Truffles and Candy

Rice Krispie Treat Addiction

Don’t miss another mouthwatering recipe from Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me:

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Milk Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies

Yield: 3-5 dozen, depending on size

• 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup milk chocolate (I used Green & Blacks Milk chocolate bars, chopped)
  • 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat melted butter with sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Slowly add flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in milk chocolate and nuts.
  2. Drop by large tablespoon onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack. ENJOY.

Linked To: What’s Cookin

43 Responses to “Milk Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies”

1. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm

My husband is the same way. He looks at the Pepperidge Farm cookies to get cookie flavor inspiration. Then he asks me to recreate them. Haha. These look fantastic!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 7:46 am

I love that he finds the flavors for YOU to create :)

2. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Sometimes I love making bigger batch size cookies so I can freeze the leftovers – in case of a cookie emergency of course. :) I make white chocolate macadamia nut cookies all the time, but I’ve never subbed milk chocolate. DUH! How good would that be? Ok, I need to try it. These simply sound wonderful Aimee.

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

Haha, a cookie emergency! I have made the white chocolate too, but when I saw the Sausalito’s I smacked my own forehead. I LOVE the milk chocolate with macadamia! Pepperidge Farm knows their cookies!

3. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Sausalito are my favorite, so I’m going to have to try these! And btw, my mom does the same thing with freezing the dough in ziplocks and writing the baking instructions on them and you guys have like identical writing. I had to do a double take when I saw your picture because it was so deja vu of one of hers!

4. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 6:31 pm

My morning cup of tea is now looking pretty drab without one of these beside it! Oh well…

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:05 am

Oh dear. I think your cup of tea DESERVES a treat today!

5. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I think macadamias are one of my favorite nuts! I need to make more cookies. :)

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:06 am

If only macadamia nuts weren’t so expensive I’d put them in everything! Although I do have another recipe coming this week with them….

6. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I dont know the last time I have bought a package of cookies from the supermarket. Homemade always taste better. I love macadamia nut cookies but hate white chocolate. I am so happy you added milk chocolate instead!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:06 am

Give these a try, I’m pretty sure you will be happy you did!

7. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Such an awesome idea Aimee! My mom loves macadamia nuts and she’d be gaga for these. I never thought to pre-scoop the cookie dough: it’s like all the ease of Break & Bake Cookies but cheaper, from scratch, and more delicious! 😀

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

Exactly. Plus, if you’re like me, and bake cookies weekly…you eventually get many flavors in your freezer! It’s nice to have a little stockpile depending on my mood :)

8. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm

We are so the same person! I love to walk up and down the grocery store aisles looking for things I can recreate at home. Who wants to spend $4 on a package of cookies when you can make 4 dozen for cheaper? Love these fun (and yummy) cookies!!!

9. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Oh my! I love the Sausalito cookies from Pepperidge Farm!!!! I can’t wait to try these out. A whole batch is about right, I often bake more to share with my friends and neighbors. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I’m going to check out other cookie recipes that you have.

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:09 am

Sausalito’s are just so good! ENJOY the recipe Amy!

10. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 12:44 am

Your photos are gorgeous…probably because your cookies are! You’ve got one lucky family getting homemade cookies like that every week. I don’t bake cookies enough, and really need to start!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

Once you do it every week, and you freeze half the batch, it makes a nice stockpile of flavors in the freezer. So those weeks you want fresh baked cookies, with no hassle, you just pull a bag out of the freezer and you have cookies in minutes! ENJOY.

11. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 5:19 am

Adding chocolate chunks instead of chips always gives this feeling of decadence to cookies, or maybe its just me. I don’t know. I love your tip for freezing cookie dough scoops. I’d probably be tempted to eat the frozen cookie dough as a treat without baking 😉

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Too funny, I feel the same way about chocolate chunks vs morsels!! And for the record, I have eaten the frozen cookie dough :)

12. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:13 am

I could never keep cookies around in a jar, I’d eat them all day. Cookies are my biggest weakness when it comes to desserts. I’d certainly be going after these!

13. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

Yeah, I’m too cheap to buy those cookies, plus I prefer to have homemade cookies around instead! These are wonderful Aimee!

14. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

I love macadamia nuts in cookies but I’ve only had them with white chocolate! This will have to change!

15. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

Yep, be still my heart–I LOVE macadamia nut cookies! And I love those Sausalito cookies, too. These look awesome! PS, can I live in your cookie jar?

16. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I really need to make these babies for my hubs. He loves macadamia

17. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm

You know, I usually hate nuts in my cookies, but these cookies with the crumbly looking texture on the outside look so absolutely perfect that I’m pretty sure they could change my mind! I’ve never frozen cookie dough before–so smart and convenient!

• posted Feb 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thanks Ari, definitely you need to freeze your cookie dough!!

18. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Yes! I saw these and thought– Sausalito cookies!!!! They are my favorites :) Love your photos here too!

19. Francesca
    posted Feb 20, 2013 at 3:49 am

Hello – thank you for sharing your recipe. Your pictures really caught my eye so I decided to make these cookies today – I encountered a problem though. The first batch burnt before even reaching the ten minute mark. On the bottom of the cookies? I thought it might be the new roll of parchment paper(?) so I made a second batch lowered the oven temp to 350 and changed the paper I used to a different brand: but the same thing happened again. Any idea where I am going wrong? Did I scoop the cookies too big? Do salted nuts have any influence? Thank you for your help. And thank you again for the recipe. Francesca xx

• posted Feb 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Do you have your cookie sheet in the middle of the oven? I would check into getting a thermometer for you oven to check the actual temperature. It could also be the cookie sheet you are using, conducting heat too fast and not evenly.

• Francesca
        posted Feb 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Yes, the cookie sheet was placed on the middle shelf. I was beyond confused; almost certain that my oven was correct as it had not let me down previously, then all was revealed this evening when I was cooking dinner… I found out that a small baking pan had slipped down and was blocking part of the vent in the back of the oven, hence the burnt cookies. Phew! House did not catch fire, oven is still working and your recipe is a success :) My friends at work loved the cookies and did not think they were burnt – I was not going to share them but if I don’t take something in, they moan about being hungry. Hehe.
        Thank you Amy.

20. posted Feb 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

Y U M ! Pinned 😉 Thanks for another incredible recipe, Aimee! :)

21. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for sharing! These look YUMMY! Can’t wait to whip up a batch. Does kosher salt really make a difference?

22. posted Sep 18, 2013 at 2:50 am

Mmmm! Milk chocolate and macadamia nuts just sound so good together! I love how thick and chewy these cookies look..Definitely have got to try these!

23. posted Nov 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hello, I’ve been looking at your Macadamia cookies for a couple days now, but where is the actual recipe? Thanks!

24. posted Nov 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks, I am not sure what’s wrong, maybe my computer, but there are links to all the other cookie recipes posted, but for the macadamia ones there are only pictures and descriptions. Lol, they look so good, I’ve been on the look out for the perfect Chocolate Macadamia cookie!

• posted Nov 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

It’s not a link to the cookie, the recipe is printed above….

25. posted Nov 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm

OK, I’ve checked. It’s not there. I even looked it up under cookies, found it, clicked on it, and there was no recipe, just pictures. All other cookies have the recipe. Sorry :)

26. posted Jul 2, 2014 at 3:00 am

MIlk chocolate and macadamia nut cookies taste excellent. These are perfect for my parties and occasions.