Rich chocolate Candy Cane Oreo Cookie Bars are topped with a white chocolate fudge and crushed peppermints. You can’t beat the combo of chewy chocolate cookie bar and cool peppermint at Christmas time!
Why This Recipe Works
Anytime I hear the word “Oreo” in the name of a dessert, my ears perk up. Chocolate wafer cookies with that amazing creamy center? Yes, please.
Sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top and you have a holiday treat to write home about!
- Seriously does it get better than Oreos, M&M’s, candy canes, and chocolate?
- Makes a large batch, perfect for sharing.
- Easy recipe!
Dark chocolate and peppermint pair beautifully together this time of year! Add Oreos into the mix and I’m in Christmas dessert heaven.
- Cookie Dough ingredients– you’ve got the usual suspects here: butter, vanilla, cocoa powder, flour, brown sugar!
- Oreos – Any variety of Oreos works great in this recipe! I’ve made bars with original, mint and the Christmas colored Oreos and they all taste delicious here.
- Cocoa powder- For the richest chocolate flavor, use unsweetened dark cocoa powder if possible.
- Red & Green Candy – Use your favorite holiday M&M’s, or toss in some red and green chocolate chips (if you can find them)!
- Candy canes – A perfect way to use candy canes that get broken or crushed by accident!
The Cookie layer. A chocolate cookie batter gets even more chocolate-y when you fold in crushed Oreos and chocolate chips or M&Ms.
Press the thick dough into a baking sheet and bake. I take it out when it’s still soft in the center so it sets into the perfect chewy consistency.
The white chocolate layer. While the cookie base is baking, heat condensed milk with butter and whisk in white chocolate melting wafers.
Pour the warm fudge over the cookie layer and top with crushed candy cane pieces.
Once the white chocolate layer is set (about 30 minutes) you can cut these treats into bars and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- How to crush candy canes: Place full sized or mini candy canes in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin or other heavy object to crush the candy into small pieces.
- The batter will be extremely thick and dense! Use your fingers to pat it into the pan making sure to get the chocolate batter all the way to the edges and corners.
- Line the pan with parchment paper. When the Oreo Cookie Bars are cooled and set, they’ll be a cinch to remove from the baking sheet.
- Make sure to let the cookie layer cool. Before you add the white chocolate fudge topping, the bottom layer should be completely cool to the touch. If it’s still warm the bars will take much longer to set up and may be more gooey than desired.
After cutting, store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature.
I used original Oreos this time but any variety of the chocolate sandwich cookie works. Make them with peppermint Oreos for even more minty flavor, holiday Oreos or double stuffed!
The recipe was tested in a 15 x 10 inch baking pan. You’ll have enough for a dozen or so large square bars or you can cut them into smaller squares for Oreo brownie bites!
More Cookie Recipes
Filled with chocolate cookies, cream and white chocolate sprinkled with peppermint, Candy Cane Oreo Bars are indulgently delicious! Make them this holiday season and watch how quickly they’ll disappear from the dessert table.