Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 22, 2011

Classic macaroni and cheese, homemade and simply THE BEST!

In college I was a mac and cheese lover. I made some nearly every night of the weekend. However, I never parted with that blue box. I mean really, it was the cheesiest. I would try mac and cheese at restaurants, but they were always so bland that I never attempted to make it myself.

Until now. Until I realized grown up mac and cheese can be amazing. Total comfort food. And, it could be that perfect side dish you are looking for for Thanksgiving.

Don’t think for a second though that only adults will love this mac and cheese. It got four thumbs up from my kiddos- and that’s something huge! Because they only like the blue box stuff too. Until now.

Next time I will have to put more snowflake Ritz crackers on top. There was a little fighting over how many each person ate! I tried to explain that the cook can eat how ever many they want!

Best Mac and Cheese Ever

• 16 oz elbow macaroni
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 lb Gruyere cheese
  • 1 lb Cheddar Cheese
  • 24 Ritz crackers

1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
  2. In large pot, melt butter. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
  3. In food processor, shred Gruyere and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
  4. Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
  5. In large ziploc, crush 14 Ritz crackers. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Lay 10 crackers on top, spaced evenly.
  6. Bake in a 375 degree oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Enjoy hot!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) November 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

O.M.G. Y.E.S.

Liz @ Two Maids a Milking November 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

You had me at Mac and Cheese!! My mom actually gave me a “talk” right out of high school about how my college roommates might not appreciate mac and cheese for every meal.. lol!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

Holly November 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh Aim, I LOVE me some Mac n Cheese! This one sounds fab! Can’t wait to try it!! :) P.S. Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Moore or Less Cooking November 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am a huge fan of mac and cheese and this looks so yummy! I am over from Chef in training and I am making this recipe this weekend!

Nettie

Lizzy November 23, 2011 at 12:38 am

I’ve never seen Ritz look so pretty! My daughter LOVES Kraft Deluxe, so I’m going to try your version out on her…it looks fabulous!! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving~

Jessica @ How Sweet November 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

You’ve sold me. Making it!

peanutbutterandpeppers.com November 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wow, the Ritz Crackers are pretty! I am most definitely going to make this! I haven’t had mac n cheese in a long time!

Kristy Lynn November 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

i’ll be honest, i’m pretty partial to MY mac & cheese:

That being said, yours is very pretty and I’m always happy to eat the stuff no matter what. The fact that yours has gruyere in it gives you extra props! haha.. Save me a seat!

Jenn "Rook No. 17" November 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Featuring this post too and will definitely be giving it a try myself!

Jenn

Amateur Cook December 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’ll side with Kristy Lynn.

Best Mac and Cheese Ever

That’s a matter of opinion.

Miss1978 January 9, 2012 at 6:23 am

Wow! I am bookmarking this recipe and trying it this week! It sounds amazing! The Ritz crackers are a beautiful touch! Thank you for sharing!

Liz March 15, 2012 at 2:27 am

This looks great! I like the dried mustard. I might sub smoked gouda in as a cheese – Ive been looking for a perfect mac and cheese recipe with smoked gouda, I just love it. BTW – smashed ritz crackers mixed with panko are a super crunchy chicken breading as well, for chicken courdon bleu or whatever you bread.

Meg {henninglove} May 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm

mac and cheese is totally delicious!! although it was never the blue book for me, my mom made it from scratch. i consider it a cheat food if i am really really craving some comfort

cyndi April 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm

macaroni&cheese is the best~~ i love it!!

ebay.com May 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm

If you want to get a great deal from this article then you have to
apply such techniques to your won weblog.
ebay.com recently posted..ebay.comMy Profile

Katie @ThePrettyPartyShoppe November 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm

How adorable is this mac n’ cheese with the snowflake crackers! I had no idea Ritz made them like this. I have a winter baby shower I am throwing soon, hoping I can find them in the stores! Thank you for sharing.
Katie @ThePrettyPartyShoppe recently posted..Modern Outer Space Birthday PartyMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I just saw them in my stores this week, so keep your eye out! ENJOY.

Shannon November 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

This looks perfect. Do you use Mild or Extra Sharp cheddar?

aimee @ shugarysweets November 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I’ve used both actually. Either way tastes delicious!!

Helen November 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Just made this. Awesome. It really is the best Mac and Cheese!!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Helen! so glad you enjoyed the recipe!

cloey March 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

Can I just whole milk instead of using skim milk?

Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide June 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hi Aimee – I needed a new mac&cheese recipe and you were the first and only place I went. Made it tonight and we are all sitting around in a mac&cheese coma right now. Perfection is an understatement. Even though your post is 3 years old, it still delivers the lovin in the kitchen! Hugs, Holly
Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide recently posted..Bowl of CherriesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets June 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Oh that mac and cheese is made regularly at our house, and always on the table for holidays and guests. So glad you’re family enjoyed it as well!