Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever

Classic macaroni and cheese, homemade and simply THE BEST!

In college I was a mac and cheese lover. I made some nearly every night of the weekend. However, I never parted with that blue box. I mean really, it was the cheesiest. I would try mac and cheese at restaurants, but they were always so bland that I never attempted to make it myself.

Until now. Until I realized grown up mac and cheese can be amazing. Total comfort food. And, it could be that perfect side dish you are looking for for Thanksgiving.

Don’t think for a second though that only adults will love this mac and cheese. It got four thumbs up from my kiddos- and that’s something huge! Because they only like the blue box stuff too. Until now.

Next time I will have to put more snowflake Ritz crackers on top. There was a little fighting over how many each person ate! I tried to explain that the cook can eat how ever many they want!

Best Mac and Cheese Ever

• 16 oz elbow macaroni
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 lb Gruyere cheese
  • 1 lb Cheddar Cheese
  • 24 Ritz crackers

1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
  2. In large pot, melt butter. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
  3. In food processor, shred Gruyere and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
  4. Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
  5. In large ziploc, crush 14 Ritz crackers. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Lay 10 crackers on top, spaced evenly.
  6. Bake in a 375 degree oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Enjoy hot!

28 Responses to “Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever”

1. posted Nov 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

O.M.G. Y.E.S.

2. posted Nov 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

You had me at Mac and Cheese!! My mom actually gave me a “talk” right out of high school about how my college roommates might not appreciate mac and cheese for every meal.. lol!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

3. posted Nov 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh Aim, I LOVE me some Mac n Cheese! This one sounds fab! Can’t wait to try it!! :) P.S. Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

4. posted Nov 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am a huge fan of mac and cheese and this looks so yummy! I am over from Chef in training and I am making this recipe this weekend!

Nettie

5. posted Nov 23, 2011 at 12:38 am

I’ve never seen Ritz look so pretty! My daughter LOVES Kraft Deluxe, so I’m going to try your version out on her…it looks fabulous!! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving~

6. posted Nov 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

You’ve sold me. Making it!

7. posted Nov 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wow, the Ritz Crackers are pretty! I am most definitely going to make this! I haven’t had mac n cheese in a long time!

8. posted Nov 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

i’ll be honest, i’m pretty partial to MY mac & cheese:

That being said, yours is very pretty and I’m always happy to eat the stuff no matter what. The fact that yours has gruyere in it gives you extra props! haha.. Save me a seat!

9. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Featuring this post too and will definitely be giving it a try myself!

Jenn

10. posted Dec 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’ll side with Kristy Lynn.

Best Mac and Cheese Ever

That’s a matter of opinion.

11. posted Jan 9, 2012 at 6:23 am

Wow! I am bookmarking this recipe and trying it this week! It sounds amazing! The Ritz crackers are a beautiful touch! Thank you for sharing!

12. Liz
    posted Mar 15, 2012 at 2:27 am

This looks great! I like the dried mustard. I might sub smoked gouda in as a cheese – Ive been looking for a perfect mac and cheese recipe with smoked gouda, I just love it. BTW – smashed ritz crackers mixed with panko are a super crunchy chicken breading as well, for chicken courdon bleu or whatever you bread.

13. posted May 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm

mac and cheese is totally delicious!! although it was never the blue book for me, my mom made it from scratch. i consider it a cheat food if i am really really craving some comfort

14. posted Apr 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm

macaroni&cheese is the best~~ i love it!!

15. posted May 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm

If you want to get a great deal from this article then you have to
    apply such techniques to your won weblog.

16. posted Nov 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm

How adorable is this mac n’ cheese with the snowflake crackers! I had no idea Ritz made them like this. I have a winter baby shower I am throwing soon, hoping I can find them in the stores! Thank you for sharing.

• posted Nov 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I just saw them in my stores this week, so keep your eye out! ENJOY.

17. Shannon
    posted Nov 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

This looks perfect. Do you use Mild or Extra Sharp cheddar?

• posted Nov 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I’ve used both actually. Either way tastes delicious!!

18. Helen
    posted Nov 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Just made this. Awesome. It really is the best Mac and Cheese!!

19. cloey
    posted Mar 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

Can I just whole milk instead of using skim milk?

20. posted Jun 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hi Aimee – I needed a new mac&cheese recipe and you were the first and only place I went. Made it tonight and we are all sitting around in a mac&cheese coma right now. Perfection is an understatement. Even though your post is 3 years old, it still delivers the lovin in the kitchen! Hugs, Holly

• posted Jun 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Oh that mac and cheese is made regularly at our house, and always on the table for holidays and guests. So glad you’re family enjoyed it as well!

21. Pingback: Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese - Shugary Sweets

22. Pingback: Turkey Day Down Under

23. posted Apr 18, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I tried this tonight for a special carby treat; i’m so nostalgic for this mac and cheese i’d have at a winter camp i’d go to. The lunch ladies always added a crunchy topping, and it was so good! Your recipe was great :) loved the crunchy topping. Thanks for sharing!

• posted Apr 19, 2015 at 5:20 pm

You’re so welcome. Happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe :)