Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Nothing says comfort food like homemade Macaroni and Cheese! The gouda adds a creamy tang while the bacon adds a nice salty, smoked flavor! Try this at your next family dinner!
So this has been a crazy week here at Shugary Sweets! Spring Break has started today and we are heading home to visit family. I find it only fitting that I share this new macaroni and cheese recipe.
A couple years ago I shared THIS delicious mac and cheese, claiming it was the best ever! This new version is based off that original recipe! Which makes this the “even Better” mac and cheese!
I started by changing out the cheese. My husband and I love gouda. In this recipe I used a combination of smoked gouda and sharp cheddar! I realized when I was in the middle of making this recipe, I had no Ritz crackers. My last recipe called for topping it with crackers. So instead I took a few slices of bread and processed them to a fine crumb in my food processor. I added butter and mixed it with a fork. I think you will love this version too! Oh, and then there’s bacon on top. Not a lot, but just enough that each serving has a few sprinkles!
I hope you enjoy this NEW macaroni and cheese recipe! What’s YOUR favorite comfort food?
Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!
Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: serves 10-12
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire
- 1lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 slices bread (about 2cups crumbs)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
- In same food processor bowl (no need to wash it after shredding the cheese), process 5 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.ENJOY!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**Shugary Sweets changed to a new server this week! Did you miss me? My new host, SERVINT, is wonderful, the best customer service out there! And my website is super fast thanks to them!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**