Crockpot Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice
**photos updated September 2014**
In all your crazy maintenance the past 24 hours, you lost my recipe. This delicious dinner, all my funny words, gone. I hope you find it in web-land, but if not, I will just have to leave my readers to wonder what I said that was so funny. Because I’m not able to remember. It was one of those, “you just had to be there” moments.
Anyways, Please make this tonight. Or tomorrow since it’s too late for a crock-pot recipe now. Unless of course you read this at 6am tomorrow. Whatever.
If you like Chipotle, this is my version of their Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice. Enjoy!
For the Barbacoa:
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (just the peppers, not the sauce)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 heaping Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cup water
- 2 cup Jasmine Rice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- For the barbacoa: In food processor (or blender), combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotle peppers, garlic cloves, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt and ground cloves. Process on high until smooth.
- In large crockpot, add roast, pepper puree, bay leaves, and chicken broth. Heat on low 6-8 hours. Shred beef and place back in juice, remove bay leaves. Serve on a tortilla with cilanto-lime rice, colby cheese, lettuce and guacamole. Enjoy!!!
- For the cilantro lime rice: Combine rice, water, butter and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes. When done, add lime juice and cilantro. Yum.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**