Easy Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe
Slow Cooker or Crock Pot Carnitas should be fork tender and bursting with flavor. You’ll love this easy recipe for pork carnitas on tortillas or in bowls.
When it comes to dinners, I love a delicious meal that takes very little work.
In our family, tex-mex foods are a staple. They appeal to everyone, and can be customized in flavors by the fabulous toppings and sides.
What are Carnitas
Carnitas, which means “little meats”, are made by simmering pork until the lard is tender. Slow cookers and crock pots are the perfect route to cook carnitas, to get that tender, flavorful meat.
Think of carnitas as a mexican version of pulled pork! Delicious.
How to make Carnitas
Step 1: Place pork in the bottom of a large crock pot or slow cooker. Season with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin.
Top with fresh snipped cilantro, salsa (any kind), chicken broth, tequila, and chopped green chilies.
Add the juice of one orange.
Step 2: Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. (I would cook closer to 8 hours for pork shoulder)
Step 3: Shred pork with two forks, mix with juices and serve.
What cut of pork is best for Carnitas
When choosing a cut of pork for carnitas, it can be a very personal decision.
Typically you may want to opt for a pork shoulder (pork butt) because of the higher concentration of fat. In an effort to cut down on the fat we eat, I make mine using tenderloins.
Pork tenderloins do become dry if over cooked, but because the seasoning is so flavorful in these carnitas, my family doesn’t seem to mind.
For a more traditional route though, choose the pork shoulder.
What to serve with Pork Carnitas
You be the judge on what to serve with your delicious fork tender crock pot carnitas.
Here are some ideas on what to serve with them:
- Guacamole -homemade is best. You could also add sliced avocado instead
- Pico de Gallo
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Salsa Verde
- Black Beans
- Diced Onions
- Sour Cream
- Corn Salad
You can create a “taco” by serving on a flour or corn tortilla. Or turn your carnitas into a “bowl” with all the toppings on a bed of lettuce.
Tips for making perfect Carnitas recipe
- If you like your carnitas crispy, once you’ve shredded them in the slow cooker, lay them on a baking sheet and broil for about 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Substitute beer or more chicken broth for the tequila, if desired
- Want to freeze Carnitas? Place leftovers in a freezer safe container or ziploc bag. Freeze with juices until ready to use. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat and enjoy.
- Squeeze a fresh lime over the carnitas right before serving for a delicious zing!
What you’ll need for Slow Cooker Carnitas
If you want a quick glance at what’s needed for today’s recipe, look no further. For the printable recipe with measurements, scroll all the way down!
- 4 lb Pork (tenderloin, shoulder, loin- you choose)
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Green Chilies
- Toppings- tortillas, black beans, rice, guacamole, salsa, lime, onions, cilantro, etc
- 6 qt (or larger) Slow Cooker- I love my Ninja Slow Cooker. It heats evenly, and is easy to clean up!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
More Pork Recipes:
- Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Chipotle Pork Tenderloin
- Balsamic Glazed Pork
- Pork Chops with Peaches
- Chipotle BBQ Pork
- Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Lasagna Soup
- More Delicious Dinner Recipes
Crock Pot Carnitas Recipe:
Slow Cooker or Crock Pot Carnitas should be fork tender and bursting with flavor. You'll love this easy recipe for pork carnitas with little prep and lots of flavor.
- 4 lbs. pork tenderloin (or pork shoulder/butt)
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1½ cup cilantro, snipped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup tequila (or beer)
- 1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 orange, juiced
- black beans
- pico de gallo
- Place pork in crock pot. Sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt, pepper and cumin. Top with cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila, green chilies, and juice from one orange. Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
- Shred pork with two forks and continue to cook until heated through.
- Serve on a tortilla with all the fixings, or make a rice bowl with black beans and all the fixings. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 381 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 166mg Sodium: 682mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 60g
Recipe originally published March 31, 2011. Photos updated August 2019.
Slow Cooker or Crock Pot Pork Carnitas are fork tender and the perfect recipe for a crowd.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**