Santa OREO Cookie Balls recipe

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 22, 2013

Traditional OREO cookie balls shaped for the holiday season! Easy, impressive and delicious too!

Santa Hat OREO cookie balls: spread some holiday cheer with this easy recipe! #cookieballs

Please tell me you believe in Santa.

Okay, kidding. Please tell me you have had an OREO cookie ball. That’s the question I’m really wondering.

You know, one package of OREO cookies crushed up and mixed with ONE package of cream cheese. Roll it up into a ball and dip it in candy coating. Easy peasy.

Santa Hat OREO cookie balls: spread some holiday cheer with this easy recipe!

Of course I didn’t want to stop there. I wanted to take it a step further and help you create a little more impressive cookie ball. Like a Santa Hat.

What impresses people more than shaped desserts? Haha, I’m kidding. Seriously. Are you impressed?

My kids love OREO cookies. And every time I buy them the question is, “are these to eat or for the blog?” And if they’re for the blog, “are they for cookie balls?”

You can go a step further too and use the Holiday Oreos (with the red filling). You can use mint OREOS for a minty flavor, or you can add some chopped peppermint candy canes to your mixture for a peppermint twist! So many possibilities!

Yeah, we’re pretty much in love with this easy treat. So spread some festive cheer and keep holiday spirits high during this hectic season!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Santa OREO Cookie Balls recipe

Prep Time: 2 hours

Yield: 24 cookie balls

Adorable Santa hat shaped OREO cookie balls for your next holiday party!

• 36 OREO cookies
  • 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 16oz red candy melts
  • 4oz white candy melts
  • 24 mini marshmallows
  • white sprinkles

1. Begin by processing OREO cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with the softened cream cheese until fully combined.
  2. Line a large freezer safe baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Scoop cookie balls with a 1 Tbsp cookie scoop, or a heaping tablespoon of dough. Using your hands, roll into a ball (will be about 1 inch). Pinch the top of the ball and shape until you have a cone, that resembles a Santa hat. Repeat until all dough is used.
  4. Freeze cookie balls for at least one hour.
  5. Melt red candy melts in a bowl according to package directions. Using a toothpick in the top of the frozen santa hat cookie ball, dip into the red candy coating. Tap on side of bowl so the excess drips off. Set back on parchment paper and repeat until all hats are completely covered in red. Once all hats are covered in red, dip the bottom of a mini marshmallow in red candy coating and attach it to the top of the hat. Allow red coating to harden completely, about 15-30 minutes.
  6. Melt white candy coating in bowl according to package directions. Pour sprinkles in a shallow dish/bowl.
  7. Dip marshmallow end of hat completely into the white candy coating, then dip into sprinkles. Repeat with all hats and allow to harden (15 minutes). Once tops are hardened, repeat with the brim of the hat. Dip it in white chocolate, then in sprinkles, then allow to harden. These are now ready to eat and enjoy! I store mine in the refrigerator until ready to serve, they keep well in a covered container for up to a week.

Notes

**I freeze my cookie balls before coating them in candy coating, this helps them stay in proper shape. It also helps the candy coating harden very quickly. **I do half a batch at a time, keeping half frozen while working with a dozen. Once the first dozen is coated, I then pull out the other dozen from the freezer. This again helps them from falling apart when you dip them. **I use toothpicks to dip my cookie balls, some people prefer using a fork. Try both and see what works best for you!

Love OREO Cookie Balls?

Candy Corn OREO Cookie Balls

Change the look and the flavor by changing the cookie! These Candy Corn OREO Cookie Balls use the Candy Corn cookies.

oreo-peanutbutter-truffles

Another delicious twist on OREO Cookie Balls. Add some peanut butter!

Connect with OREO:

website | facebook | twitter

**Shugary Sweets and OREO have partnered together to bring this recipe to all my fans. While I was compensated for this post, all opinions are 100% my own!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet November 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

These are super cute! and so festive!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..White Fudge Peppermint Oreo GranolaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:37 am

Thank you Nancy. We had fun making them!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life November 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Cuteness times 10! Love the sprinkle tops and rims!!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Caramel Pecan Cheesecake TartsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

You can never have enough sprinkles!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent November 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm

These are super cute :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Turkey CookiesMy Profile

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 22, 2013 at 7:02 pm

My family asks the same thing; for the blog or for us? :) I’d rather have Oreos in this form than plain any day! Absolutely adorable and delicious to boot. Sounds like the holiday dessert to me!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

It’s definitely a #foodbloggerproblems issue! Ha!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout November 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm

INSANELY cute Aimee! Seriously! You just have to smile looking at these :) Pinned!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..My Nana’s Famous Green BeansMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:39 am

Awww, too sweet Trish, thanks for pinning!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I love these! Oreo truffles are awesome!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Oreo Peppermint BarkMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:39 am

Thanks girl! Oreo truffles ARE awesome, you’re right :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen November 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm

SO stinkin cute!!! These are addicting!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake BarsMy Profile

Emily @ Life on Food November 23, 2013 at 6:18 am

These are so cute!!! I would feel bad for Santa eating them all.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Brussels Sprouts au GratinMy Profile

Renee@Two in the Kitchen November 23, 2013 at 8:44 am

These are adorable!! My kids will LOVE making these!! (I’m glad THEY still believe in Santa!! ). Pinned!!
Renee@Two in the Kitchen recently posted..Grilled Steak SandwichMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 23, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for pinning Renee! Enjoy the treats :)

Karly November 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

So cute, Aimee! I HATE making cute desserts like this. I’m just not patient enough, mostly because I know that 10 seconds after I’m done people will inhale them. ;)
Karly recently posted..Homemade Maple Cranberry SauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Yeah, these pretty much get rationed out so I don’t feel disgusted when they get inhaled without a proper adornment period!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 23, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Oh my gosh, these are sooooooooooo cute! I just love them and they are so creative!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Thanksgiving Tips, Tricks and HelpMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Jennifer! have a great weekend!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) November 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

THESE. ARE. TOOOOOO CUTE!!!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Something Saturdays (11/23/13)My Profile

Kaitlin Marks November 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hi! Do you think you could use icing or something else instead of cream cheese? Thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:40 am

You can use canned frosting, but then they would be more like a cake ball, and VERY sweet.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Lyuba@willcookforsmiles November 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

These are SO cute! I want to throw a party just so I can serve these!! Santa Hat party :)
Lyuba@willcookforsmiles recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Peanut Butter Cheesecake PieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Santa Hat party could go nicely with an ugly sweater party :)

Kim November 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Do you just sit them on top of oreo’s when they are done? I didn’t see that step??? Love the looks of these!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hi Kim, I put mine on top of an OREO just for the photo. No need to do that though!

tahnycooks November 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

Oh My goodness these are straight from Santa’s work shop! Beyond cute!
tahnycooks recently posted..Ranchero BeansMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Santa!!! I know him! ;)

Abbie November 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Ahhh, these are so cute! What a clever and party-friendly idea for Christmas. :) Pinning!
Abbie recently posted..chocolate frosted bakery-style buttermilk doughnuts with rainbow sprinkles (gluten-free)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for pinning Abbie!!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain November 26, 2013 at 8:40 am

Aimee these are fabulous! I have always loved oreo cookie balls, but shaping them like Santa hats is INCREDIBLY impressive! And now I want to eat them alllll. ;)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Cake CupcakesMy Profile

Penelope November 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

What are candy melts? Sorry I don’t eat much candy. Thanks for your help.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:21 am

Candy melts are little colored discs of chocolate. I buy the Wilton’s brand (found at Michaels).
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..White Chocolate Peanut Butter CookiesMy Profile

Kristen Duke December 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

These are so cute – love them!! My kids love Oreo’s too so I’m sure they would love these!
Kristen Duke recently posted..Family Games for all AgesMy Profile