Delicious, from scratch, Chocolate Cupcakes with M&M’s frosting! Grab some M&Ms and pile the frosting high for more flavor and fun. With so many ways to customize these cupcakes, you’ll want to make them again and again.
Why This Recipe Is Best
- These chocolate cupcakes are made from scratch with real chocolate and cocoa.
- Simple but festive! The white vanilla buttercream makes the colorful M&Ms standout.
- You can make this frosting with any kind of M&Ms or candy pieces! Change up the colors and flavors for different occasions.
This is the only M&Ms cupcake recipe you’ll ever need!
Chocolate Cupcakes. Whether you make my perfect chocolate cupcake recipe, or buy a boxed mix, bake and cool before adding the frosting.
M&M Candies. Regular milk chocolate candies, baking bits or M&M’s minis can all be used. Other candies like Reese’s pieces or even chopped candy bars would be delicious too.
Vanilla extract. Use a good quality real vanilla for best flavor! The frosting is the star of this recipe, so you want the richest, deepest vanilla taste. Our Homemade Vanilla Extract is especially delicious here.
First, make the cupcakes.
Remove baked cupcakes from the oven. Let them cool on a wire rack before adding the frosting.
How to make M&Ms frosting.
Beat butter with an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and beat until fully combined. Fold in the M&Ms.
Frosting the cupcakes:
Use a large scoop to dollop the tops of each cupcakes with a thick layer of frosting.
Eat, share and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
- There are so many kinds of M&Ms on the shelves these days and just about all of them would taste good folded into vanilla frosting! Think caramel M&Ms, peanut butter M&Ms, white chocolate M&Ms. . . so many tasty choices.
- Have another chocolate cupcake recipe you love? Feel free to us it as your base for the M&Ms cupcakes instead. The frosting is the star of the show!
- This frosting would be delicious on our easy chocolate cake recipe or spread over our frosted brownies!
- Holidays! These make such a festive looking treat when swapped out with red and green candies.
Try folding in chocolate chips, crushed Oreos, butterfinger bits, or peanut butter morsels to this frosting. They won’t be M&Ms cupcakes anymore but they’ll still be delicious.
Test cupcakes for doneness by pressing the top of the cupcake lightly with your finger. If it springs back right away, the cupcake is ready to come out of the oven. If it stays indented, give them more time to bake. You can also insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
Store these in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy within 3 days.
Recipes with M&M’S
- M&M Fudge: add any color/variety candy to your vanilla fudge for a delicious festive treat!
- Rainbow Fudge Cookie Bars: easy 4 ingredient dessert idea. You’re welcome!
- M&M Cookie Cake: better than the kind you get at the mall, and easy to make for any occasion!
- Christmas M&M Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
Frosting so good you’ll want to eat it with a spoon! M&Ms Cupcakes are easy to make and festively delicious.