Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
These Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes start with the most delicious cupcake recipe ever! Then topped with a creamy, chocolate buttercream frosting with a secret ingredient!
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!
Another year…another birthday! I have officially turned 44 years old. I’m not afraid to admit my age. It’s not that I feel I look young, but I have fully lived those 44 years, and am proud of it!
From raising 4 kids, to being married for over 22 years, I feel life has been good to me.
It’s the perfect time to celebrate…won’t you have some Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes with me?
I’m always hunting for the perfect chocolate cupcake. I’ve got several on my website here…but I wanted one that is not only rich and fudgy, but strong enough to hold frosting! A cupcake that doesn’t dry out.
So, I headed over to my recipe for Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes and whipped up the perfect batch. I then topped them with the creamiest Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
And I’ve got a secret ingredient in my frosting: chocolate syrup. I’ve made this with and without the chocolate syrup, and every time I add it, people notice. I think it also gives a great texture to the frosting, keeping it creamier longer!
So, for my 44th birthday, I give you Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes…go enjoy them! And as always, eat dessert first!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups boiling water
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp chocolate syrup
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prepare cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat for about 2 minutes.
- Slow add in the boiling water and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Cupcake batter will be very thin, it's okay!
- Fill prepared cupcake tins, about 2/3 full (I use this metal scoop) and bake for 22-25 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
For the frosting:
- Beat butter in large mixing bowl for 3-5 minutes, until pale in color and fluffy. Add in powdered sugar, milk, and cocoa powder. Beat an additional 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add in chocolate syrup, beating until smooth.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and enjoy!
If you think these chocolate cupcakes, from scratch are amazing…you’ve got to try this recipe from TidyMom for Salted Caramel Cupcakes. Look at that swirl of frosting! Or how about something lighter in flavor, like a batch of Margarita Cupcakes from Brown Eyed Baker? I’d like a margarita on the side, please and thank you! My garden is exploding with zucchini, so these Lemon Zucchini Cupcakes from Spend with Pennies is the perfect recipe to try next!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**