I’m in defiance right now. For every healthy dinner I cook, I match it with an equally unhealthy dessert. But have you noticed I haven’t yet posted and shared those healthy dinners? I have the recipes written down. I took pictures. I ate all the leftovers. But wouldn’t you rather have dessert recipes? Don’t answer that, because I will be posting those recipes soon.
My oldest daughter had a swim meet this weekend and she qualified for State Junior Olympics in breaststroke. Yeah, we are so proud of her. But after being at the meet all day, I came home on Saturday CRAVING chocolate. Brownies to be exact.
Unfortunately, I only had cake mix in the pantry, and I was too lazy to dig up a brownie recipe. So I did the next best thing, I took my gooey butter cake recipe and magically made it chocolate. Why have I never thought to do this before???? I mean seriously, duh! I’ve made it using lemon cake mix and made gooey lemon bars. But never chocolate.
Oh, and did I mention I was lazy? And craving chocolate. I could have been super creative and gone over the top with some sort of chocolate drizzle with candy pieces to garnish. But I wanted to eat the brownies NOW. Hot out of the oven. Powdered sugar worked just fine, thank you. Feel free to go creative though, and let me know what you topped them with. I think eating 4 large squares was “over the top” enough for me! Enjoy!
- 1 box (18.25oz) chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 cup butter, divided, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Combine cake mix with one egg and 1/2 cup melted butter. Batter will be very thick. Press into a buttered 13x9 baking dish.
- In mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add in two eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Spread in pan over cake mix layer.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, center will be gooey. Serve warm or cold, you decide. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.