If you need a gooey chocolate brownie in your life right now, this GOOEY Chocolate Brownie Bars or Cake Mix Brownies recipe will satisfy your chocolate cravings! Made easy with a cake mix!
We always keep a few cake mixes in the pantry. They are delicious when used to make Cake Mix Cookies. Melt in your mouth, and so many varieties available! Or switch gears and try our easy zucchini bars for the perfect fall treat.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
I’m in defiance right now. For every healthy dinner I cook, I match it with an equally unhealthy dessert.
This weekend I was CRAVING brownies!
Unfortunately, I only had cake mix in the pantry, and I was too lazy to dig up a brownie recipe.
So I did the next best thing, I took my gooey butter cake recipe and magically made it chocolate.
Why have I never thought to do this before???? I mean seriously, duh! I’ve made it using lemon cake mix and made gooey lemon bars. But never chocolate.
I think everyone needs this recipe for those times when you need an ooey gooey rich chocolate brownie immediately.
With these cake mix brownies you get a nice cake layer underneath the soft, gooey brownie so in some sense, it’s the best of both worlds.
Like I mentioned, this recipe is a spin on my gooey butter cake mix recipe. I’m so glad to have finally created a chocolate version!
Here’s what I used to make the brownie bars:
- Chocolate cake mix
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar (plus more for the garnish)
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla Extract– learn how to make vanilla extract with my easy recipe!
Step by Step Instructions
Make the Base. Combine cake mix with one egg and 1/2 cup melted butter.
Batter will be very thick. Press into a buttered 13×9 baking dish.
Top layer. In a mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add in two eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Beat until thoroughly combined.
Spread in pan over cake mix layer.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, center will be gooey. Serve warm or cold, you decide.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar–or get creative with your other favorite brownie toppings!
Slice the cake mix brownies into squares and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They keep well for about 3 days, but chances are they’ll be gone long before then.
The cake mix layer coupled with the brownie topping makes these double chocolate brownie bars extra rich and decadent.
Add some chocolate frosting instead of powdered sugar for a tasty treat!
More Chocolate Desserts
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Cake
- Wacky Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
Cake Mix Brownies
- 1 boz chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted (divided)
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for garnish optional
- Combine cake mix with one egg and 1/2 cup melted butter. Batter will be very thick. Press into a buttered 13×9 baking dish.
- In mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add in two eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Spread in pan over cake mix layer.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, center will be gooey. Serve warm or cold, you decide. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- STORAGE- Slice the brownie bars into squares and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They keep well for about 3 days.
- FREEZE- Freeze brownies for up to three months in airtight container. Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
Your going to love these easy Gooey Chocolate Brownie Bars made with cake mix!