These Buckeye Brownies are amazing! Rich chocolate brownies topped with a homemade peanut butter filling and chocolate ganache.
Be sure to sign up for my free email subscription…new recipes in your inbox
It’s funny how you can view circumstances quite differently than other people. Or even different than you imagined.
It’s no secret that my son is off at Marine boot camp right now. We’re finishing up week four of him being gone! And surprisingly, I’m doing better than I imagined (I’m hoping he can say the same, haha)!!
This year I have spent a lot of time “reflecting.” Savoring those moments and memories that have brought my family to this point. This stage in life.
I thought sending my son off to boot camp would be unbearable. As much as people say it’s like sending them to college, having not sent one to college, I can only imagine it’s a little different. There is no way to talk to him. To visit him. To send him a quick text. It became apparent to me that life was going to be different when he handed me his cell phone and boarded the shuttle to the airport. My lifeline to him was in my hands. I had no way to keep in touch.
Even to the point of writing letters was out of my control. I couldn’t write until he wrote first. I had no address, no idea what platoon he would be assigned.
But this is where I realized, I’m stronger than I thought. It’s him, you guys. My son is the one who gives ME strength. My child who is living his dream. I’m reminded daily that THIS is the life he chose. He wasn’t drafted. He CHOSE this path for himself. He knew what to expect. And it’s that choice that has given me comfort for the past 3 1/2 weeks. My son is following the path he chose and he’s succeeding!
I know there are many moms out there who have kids in boot camp right now. I know there are many moms struggling and missing their kids. I know this because there are many facebook support groups for us moms. But, if your child signed up for this path, take comfort in that decision. This is what we want for our children. To make decisions as adults and succeed in those choices. That is where I draw my comfort from.
And brownies. They help too. Rich chocolate brownies topped with a homemade buckeye filling and covered with smooth chocolate ganache. Yep. That’s a definite help in the comfort department!!
I know my son will come home begging for some treats…and this one is on the list of goodies to make for him! It’s like a buckeye (you know what those are right??). But it’s a brownie. #MINDBLOWN
Anyway, for those of you who are raising children, enjoy each day. Don’t rush to get to the next phase (I know how eager we are to get to the potty training, or walking, or school aged phase). Take each day as a gift. And live it.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Yield: 24 brownies
Prep Time:15 minutes prep, 2 hours chill time
For the brownies:
- 1 box brownie mix, with ingredients according to package (13x9 size)
For the peanut butter filling:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup powdered sugar
For the ganache:
- 1 package (10 oz) dark chocolate chips (bittersweet morsels, 60%)
- 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Prepare brownies according to package directions for a 13x9. Make sure to line your baking dish with parchment paper.
- While brownies are baking, make peanut butter filling. In a mixing bowl, combined melted butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Beat until combined.
- Remove brownies from oven when done baking. Gently drop peanut butter filling onto top of warm brownies, using fingertips to make sure brownies are completely covered.
- For the ganache, in a small microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat for one minute. Stir until smooth. Pour over peanut butter layer and spread until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate brownies for 2 hours (or more). Cut into bars while chilled. Serve and enjoy!!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
If you love peanut butter and chocolate, here are a few of my favorites:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Grahams: these easy dipped grahams are a fun treat!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Biscotti: cookies for breakfast is always a win in my book!
Peanut Butter Mousse Pie: one of my favorite peanut butter and chocolate desserts on the blog!
Here are some delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter recipes from my friends:
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars from The First Year Blog
- Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats from Inside BruCrew Life
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake from Spiced
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**