Bring the campfire experience indoors with these S’mores Cupcakes! Rich, fudgy chocolate cupcakes are topped with chocolate ganache, marshmallow frosting and graham cracker crumbs. Experience the summer time s’mores magic all year long!
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
This cupcake recipe might look intense. But a impressive as these cupcakes look, they’re not at all hard to make.
- S’mores Cupcakes have all the essentials: chocolate, marshmallow and graham cracker!
- The chocolate cupcake foundation is made with two kinds of chocolate for an ultra rich flavor.
- Garnished with chocolate shavings for a beautiful presentation.
- All the amazing taste of S’mores without the mess, the camp fire or the bug bites!
Everyone will “ooh” and “ahh” when you show up to the party with a tray of heavenly S’mores Cupcakes!
Brewed coffee. This does not make the cupcakes taste like coffee! Adding hot coffee deepens and enriches the chocolate flavor.
Buttermilk. Use store bought or homemade buttermilk to make the moistest, fudgiest cupcakes.
Marshmallow cream. Also called “fluff”, it’ll be blended with powdered sugar to create the marshmallow frosting.
Bittersweet chocolate squares. You will add these to the s’mores cupcake batter and use extra for grating over the finished cupcakes.
STEP 1. Make the cupcakes
Add chopped chocolate and cocoa powder to a bowl. Pour hot coffee over both ingredients, then stir until melted and combined.
Add the remaining cupcake ingredients, then beat to form a thin, smooth batter.
Scoop the batter into a lined cupcake tin. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
STEP 2. Chocolate ganache
Melt milk chocolate morsels with heavy cream, stirring until smooth. Spoon the ganache over cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
STEP 3. Marshmallow frosting
While the ganache sets, beat together the marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, butter and heavy cream.
Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Finish the S’mores Cupcakes by sprinkling them with chopped or grated chocolate.
Tips and Tricks
- Use good quality chocolate. The higher quality, the better the finished cupcakes will taste. I use ghirardelli brand with delicious results.
- Make sure your coffee is piping hot. The temperature helps melt the chocolate and “bloom” it with the cocoa.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. As you beat the s’mores cupcake ingredients, use a wooden spoon to scrape down any batter that clings to the bottom or sides of the bowl. This prevents the chocolate from settling.
- How to crush graham crackers. Place crackers in a ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin or mallet to crush into coarse crumbs.
- Need something easier? Try our S’mores Pie for an easy 5 ingredient no bake treat!
Store these covered at room temperature for up to four days. You can also freeze these cupcakes for up to 3 months.
To tell if your cupcakes are done, lightly press your finger to the top of a cupcake. If it springs back immediately, they are fully baked. If the top stays indented, they need more time. You can also use the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick to the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready to come out of the oven.
You could use hot water instead of coffee, but the flavor won’t be as rich. I promise you can’t taste the coffee in the finished cupcakes. It just makes them taste more chocolatey.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Pistachio Eclair Cake
- Funfetti Dip
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Fudge
- Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 4 ounce bittersweet chocolate squares chopped
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups hot brewed coffee
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup buttermilk
FOR THE GANACHE:
- ½ cup milk chocolate morsels
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
FOR THE FROSTING:
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 7 ounce Fluff marshmallow cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 whole graham crackers crushed
- ½ bar Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prepare cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour hot coffee over both, then stir until chocolate is melted.
- The batter will be thin, that’s okay! Using a large cookie scoop, spoon batter into prepared cupcake tins, about ⅔ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, or the cupcake springs back from a touch of your finger. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- For ganache, melt chocolate with cream in double boiler until smooth. Spoon ganache over cooled cupcakes, sprinkle immediately with crushed graham crackers. Set aside.
- To make frosting, beat butter with marshmallow cream, powdered sugar and heavy cream for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Add more heavy cream if necessary to get desired consistency. To frost cupcakes, fill decorator bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle immediately with chopped chocolate. ENJOY!
- Use hot coffee. The warmth of the coffee helps melt the chocolate, making it easier to incorporate info the batter. If you use leftover brewed coffee, reheat it in the microwave for 1 minute before adding to the cocoa.
- Scrape the bowl: As you mix the dry ingredients into the wet, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure the chocolate doesn't settle.
- Buttermilk: Don't have any on hand? Use my buttermilk substitute instead!
- Use good quality chocolate. The better the cocoa and chocolate squares you use, the better the finished cupcakes will taste.
- How to tell when cupcakes are done. Some people swear by the toothpick test. I prefer to touch the tops of the cupcakes. If it bounces right back, the cupcakes are done. If it stays indented, they need a little longer.
- STORAGE: Store cupcakes at room temperature in covered container for up to 4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.