If you’re looking for the most amazing Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, look no further. This from scratch recipe is perfect. Rich and fudgy and easy to make!
Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe
Do you ever just get a craving for chocolate cake and chocolate frosting? I do, like all the time! (sure I love a good Lemon Cake, but chocolate is always in need).
I originally baked this cake for my daughter’s birthday party. Then I found out that there is a National Chocolate Cake Day. That’s right! There is a National Chocolate Cake Day! It’s a national holiday people!
And let me tell you—with the richness of this chocolate cake recipe and the deep flavor of the chocolate buttercream frosting—this cake deserves to have its very own day.
But do we really need a holiday to eat cake? I know I don’t. Sometimes you just want to enjoy a piece of homemade chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting, without it being a birthday or a holiday.
This homemade chocolate cake recipe is the perfect excuse to whip one up and enjoy it, just because!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or use cake release) on two 9-inch round cake pans. You can also use parchment paper circles to line the bottom of the pans. Set aside.
Step 2: In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, kosher salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix together at medium speed using your hand mixer or paddle attachment with your stand mixer. Set aside.
Step 3: In a measuring cup, mix together cooled, brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
PRO TIP: you can substitute milk (more of it) or water for the coffee. The coffee flavor doesn’t show, it only enhances the chocolate flavor!
Step 4: In your mixer or large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until smooth. Add in eggs one at a time, beating with each addition. Slowly add in dry ingredients alternating with the coffee/milk mixture wet ingredients (about 3 additions of each).
Step 5: Pour batter into two prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Step 6: Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from cake pans. Cool completely on wire rack before adding chocolate frosting.
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, beat butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
Step 2: Add in confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, almond extract, and heavy cream and beat for 3-5 more minutes until you reach the desired consistency.
Step 3: Frost cake and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Baking cocoa powder is unsweetened and doesn’t have added sugars. There are plenty of cocoa powder brands and varieties to choose from, including milk and dark chocolate. I like Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa because when combined with baking soda and baking powder in baking, it creates a smooth chocolaty flavor. Plus, it’s easy to find and very affordable! Ghirardelli also makes a great dark chocolate baking powder!
- Grease and flour your pans so your cake is easy to remove. You can use butter, shortening, or a baking spray for this. Distribute grease evenly throughout the bottom and sides of the pan. If using a spray, spray liberally. Add another layer of flour to ensure extra protection between the cake and the pan. Just grab a spoonful of flour and dust it gently over the pan. Then line your pans with parchment paper.
- Pro Tip: Use a folded paper towel, new paint brush, or pastry brush to grease evenly with vegetable shortening or butter.
- Use Wilton Bake Even Strips for even baking. These strips help your cake bake evenly with no crowns or cracked tops. They’re great to use for layer cake recipes.
- Swap out coffee for an equal amount of water if you prefer. The coffee doesn’t change the flavor, it just enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Top this tasty cake with a Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting for a tangy twist!
Store this chocolate cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days for best taste. If there’s still cake left after 5 days, you can freeze it!
Make the cake as directed and enjoy a slice. Then you can freeze the rest of the cake by wrapping each slice in parchment paper and then sliding into a freezer bag. You can freeze chocolate frosted cake for up to three months. When you get another hankering for some chocolate cake, thaw it at room temperature and enjoy!
Cream butter and sugar together to trap the air, which expands during baking creating a fluffy cake!
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes
This recipe makes about 24 chocolate cupcakes.
Line cupcake pans with paper liners and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and cool completely on wire rack before adding frosting!
Or toss a slice of cake into your shake and make a delicious Cake Shake!
Pin this now to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite Board
More Cake recipes
- Ding Dong Cake
- Wacky Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
Perfect Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe. You’ll love this decadent, from scratch cake.