Perfect Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
If you’re looking for the most amazing Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, look no further. This from scratch recipe is perfect.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Do you ever just get a craving for chocolate cake and chocolate frosting? I do, like all the time! (sure I love a good Lemon Cake, but chocolate is always in need).
I originally baked this cake for my daughter’s birthday party. Then I found out that there is a National Chocolate Cake Day. That’s right! There is a National Chocolate Cake Day! It’s a national holiday people!
And let me tell you—with the richness of this chocolate cake recipe and the deep flavor of the chocolate buttercream frosting—this cake deserves to have its very own day.
If you want to put it in your calendar, National Chocolate Cake Day is January 27.
But do we really need a holiday to eat cake? I know I don’t. Sometimes you just want to enjoy a piece of homemade chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting, without it being a birthday or a holiday.
This homemade chocolate cake recipe is the perfect excuse to whip one up and enjoy it, just because!
How to Make this Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or use baking spray) on two 9-inch round cake pans. You can also use parchment paper circles to line the bottom of the pans. Set aside.
Step 2: In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, kosher salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix together at medium speed using your hand mixer or paddle attachment with your stand mixer. Set aside.
Step 3: In a measuring cup, mix together cooled, brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
PRO TIP: you can substitute milk (more of it) or water for the coffee. The coffee flavor doesn’t show, it only enhances the chocolate flavor!
Step 4: In your mixer or large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until smooth. Add in eggs one at a time, beating with each addition. Slowly add in dry ingredients alternating with the coffee/milk mixture wet ingredients (about 3 additions of each).
Step 5: Pour batter into two prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Step 6: Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from cake pans. Cool completely on wire rack before adding chocolate frosting.
How to Make Chocolate Cake Frosting
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, beat butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
Step 2: Add in confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, almond extract, and heavy cream and beat for 3-5 more minutes until you reach the desired consistency.
Step 3: Frost cake and enjoy!
Tips for Making Amazing Chocolate Cake
- Baking cocoa powder is unsweetened and doesn’t have added sugars. There are plenty of cocoa powder brands and varieties to choose from, including milk and dark chocolate. I like Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa because when combined with baking soda and baking powder in baking, it creates a smooth chocolaty flavor. Plus, it’s easy to find and very affordable! Ghirardelli also makes a great dark chocolate baking powder!
- Grease and flour your pans so your cake is easy to remove. You can use butter, shortening, or a baking spray for this. Distribute grease evenly throughout the bottom and sides of the pan. If using a spray, spray liberally. Add another layer of flour to ensure extra protection between the cake and the pan. Just grab a spoonful of flour and dust it gently over the pan. Then line your pans with parchment paper.
- Pro Tip: Use a folded paper towel, new paint brush, or pastry brush to grease evenly with vegetable shortening or butter.
- Use Wilton Bake Even Strips for even baking. These strips help your cake bake evenly with no crowns or cracked tops. They’re great to use for layer cake recipes.
- Swap out coffee for an equal amount of water if you prefer. The coffee doesn’t change the flavor, it just enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Top this tasty cake with a Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting for a tangy twist!
How to Store Chocolate Cake
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days for best taste. If there’s still cake left after 5 days, you can freeze it!
Can I freeze Chocolate Cake?
Did you know you can freeze cake? Say you’re in the mood for this chocolate cake but there’s no way you are going to be able to eat the whole thing. You can freeze it for when you get your next craving!
Make the cake as directed and enjoy a slice, or two, or three. Hey, I’m not judging! Then you can freeze the rest of the cake by wrapping each slice in parchment paper and then sliding into a freezer bag.
You can freeze chocolate frosted cake for up to three months. When you get another hankering for some chocolate cake, thaw it at room temperature and enjoy!
Or toss a slice of cake into your shake and make a delicious Cake Shake!
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes
This recipe makes about 24 chocolate cupcakes.
Line cupcake pans with paper liners and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and cool completely on wire rack before adding frosting!
What You Need to Make Chocolate Cake
If you want a quick glance at what’s needed for today’s recipe, look no further. For the printable recipe with measurements, scroll all the way down!
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated sugar
- Large Eggs
- All-Purpose Flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brewed coffee, cooled
- Powdered sugar
- Almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- Heavy Whipping cream
- 9″ Cake pans
- Large Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or stand mixer
- Parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Offset spatula for frosting
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
If you LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #shugarysweets so I can see it!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
MORE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
- Chocolate Candy Cane Cake
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Frosting
- Ding Dong Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- MORE CAKE RECIPES
If you're looking for the most amazing Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, look no further. This from scratch recipe is perfect.
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, mix together cooled coffee and milk. Set aside.
- In mixer, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Slowly add in dry ingredients alternating with the coffee/milk mixture (about 3 additions of each).
- Pour cake batter into two prepared pans (2-9inch round cake pans, lined with parchment paper and greased and floured). Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the Frosting: In mixing bowl, beat butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add in powdered sugar, cocoa, extract and heavy cream and beat for 3-5 more minutes until desired consistency.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 319mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 43g Protein: 4g
Recipe originally posted January 27, 2012. Photos updated April 2019.
Perfect Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe. You’ll love this decadent, from scratch cake.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**