Take your desserts and pastries to new heights with the perfect Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe. Worlds better than canned frostings, this topping adds the finishing touch to cupcakes, cinnamon rolls and carrot cakes!
If you LOVE making frosting, be sure to try this classic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe. It’s truly decadent and perfect. Or give this Salted Caramel Swiss Meringue Frosting a try for a unique twist!
Why Use Cream Cheese Frosting?
I’m a humble girl. I admit when I don’t know how to do something well or don’t have the very best recipe for a dish.
When it comes to frosting though? I’m going to go ahead and toot my own horn.
Some desserts just scream for Cream Cheese Frosting!
- A carrot cake without a thick layer of cream cheese icing on top is incomplete.
- A pan of fresh hot cinnamon rolls looks empty if there’s no cream cheese frosting drizzled on top.
- And without this frosting, your homemade gingerbread bars won’t ever live up to its full delicious potential.
- Red velvet cupcakes are only complete with a swirl of cream cheese frosting on top!
This Easy Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe is the ONLY one you’ll ever need!
Love cream cheese? Try our cream cheese mints for a delicious twist!
You only need FIVE ingredients to make homemade cream cheese frosting.
- Unsalted butter – Let it soften at room temperature for a few minutes first.
- Powdered sugar
- Cream Cheese – Use regular full fat cream cheese for best results.
- Vanilla – Make your own vanilla extract for a richer vanilla flavor.
- Heavy whipping cream – Adds even more creaminess to the frosting for the perfect consistency!
Once you learn how to make Cream Cheese Frosting at home, you can leave the cans of store bought icing behind in the dust. (Except for the most dire cream cheese emergencies of course!)
Start by beating the butter and cream cheese together until it’s light and fluffy.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the remaining ingredients until everything is combined, smooth and free of lumps.
That’s it! The homemade frosting is now ready to pipe onto any dessert or pastry you like.
Wondering what goes with cream cheese frosting? Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Banana Cake and Banana Breads
- Pumpkin Bread and muffins
- Carrot Cupcakes or Yellow Cupcakes
- Gingerdoodle Cookies and all kinds of Gingerbread treats!
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake
- Chocolate Banana Cake
Cream Cheese Frosting makes an irresistible filling for Chocolate Chip Cookie sandwiches too. Just spread between two cooled cookies, smoosh them together and enjoy!
Yes, you can make Cream Cheese Frosting without electric beaters or a stand mixer but it’s very difficult. You’ll need lots of arm strength to whisk the ingredients fast enough and vigorously enough to combine everything. I STRONGLY recommend using an electric mixer for this!
You should store this cream cheese frosting in the fridge in an airtight container. It will stay good for 3 -4 days.
No, I don’t recommend substituting milk for the heavy cream here. The higher fat content of the cream helps make the cream cheese frosting spreadable without getting runny.
More Frosting Recipes
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Frosting
- Sugar Cookie Frosting
- Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
Nothing adds a sweet finishing touch to a dessert quite like Cream Cheese Frosting. Easy to make and downright irresistible, this is a frosting recipe you’ll make over and over again!