If you’re looking for Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, this recipe is the answer. Crunchy on the outside, and chewy and soft in the center!
Table of Contents
What makes these the BEST
Every household should have the perfect chocolate cookie recipe somewhere in their recipe box.
And the only way to find out? Keep on baking. Trial and error.
That’s exactly how I stumbled upon these. Trying to figure out if I should use Crisco or butter, melted or softened, etc etc etc.
These chewy chocolate chip cookies have the perfect texture. With a crisp out coating and chewy center, I have found MY perfect cookie.
Take these cookies a step further and dunk them in chocolate…like I did with these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Everyone has a favorite cookie, here’s why these are the best:
- Chilling the dough is optional!
- One bowl (no mixing dry ingredients first in a separate bowl)
- Bursting with chocolate chips!
- BIG cookies!
Using this favorite cookie, we added some freeze dried strawberries to make a new version. Our strawberry chocolate chip cookies are a huge hit and ready in minutes!
Butter– we use unsalted in this cookie recipe, but you can swap for salted butter. We actually LOVE chocolate chip cookies with that extra salt!
Brown sugar and granulated sugar– a combo of sugars will give you the chewy texture you love!
Extract– Two big teaspoons of vanilla extract in my cookies. You’ll love the added flavor! Learn how to make vanilla extract at home with my simple recipe!
Chocolate Chips- you’ll want to pack your cookies with chocolate! That’s what gives them their gooey flavor. We use semi-sweet morsels, but if you really want to impress, use the mini size chips!
- PREP- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix Wet Ingredients- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Cream these together for about 2 minutes, until fully blended. Add in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add Dry ingredients- Add in flour (be sure you know how to measure flour correctly), salt, and baking soda. Beat JUST until fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake- Using a 3 Tablespoon scoop, drop onto parchment paper lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until outside of cookie is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes on baking sheet. Remove and cool completely on wire rack. The number of cookies is determined by the size scoop you use. I prefer these to be larger…which yields about 2 dozen cookies.
PRO TIP: For maximum flavor and chewiness, I do recommend chilling the dough for 24 hours. While it’s hard to plan that far in advance, if you can do it, I encourage you to try.
Freeze Cookies. Use my tips on how to freeze cookie dough for later.
Drop cookie dough balls onto parchment paper and freeze for 20 minutes. Then take firm cookie dough balls and place in ziploc bag. Freeze until ready to bake. You can bake these from frozen, but add on a few extra minutes to your bake time. ENJOY.
Yes! After cookies have cooled, slide into a ziploc bag or airtight freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 30 days.
Use brown sugar! Store cookies with a slice of white bread to keep them soft and chewy!
Whether you like a classic chocolate chip cookie or one fully loaded, this basic cookie dough has lots of stability for all your favorite mix-ins.
- Morsels: swap out the chocolate chips for peanut butter morsels, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, or anything in between.
- Candies: you can’t go wrong by adding some toffee bits, M&M’s, chopped rolos, peanut butter cups, or whatever candy you love to this cookie dough.
- Nuts: walnuts go great in chocolate chip cookies. You could also try macadamia nuts with white chocolate chips!
- Anything else? Add in craisins, raisins, shredded coconut. The sky is the limit here! A handful of colorful sprinkles for a festive party treat!
- Caramel- stuff these cookies with caramel like I did with my Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies!
More Easy Desserts
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Peanut Butter Shortbread
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Rice Crispie Treat
- Almond Bars
- Slutty Brownies
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section below!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars for about 2 minutes, until fully blended. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Add in flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat JUST until fully combined. Fold in 2 cups chocolate chips.
- Using a 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop, drop onto parchment paper lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press some of the reserved chocolate chips into the top of the cookies (I do about 7-8 chips).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until outside of cookie is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes on baking sheet. Remove and cool completely on wire rack. The number of cookies is determined by the size scoop you use. I prefer these to be larger…which yields about 2 dozen cookies.
- Chilling the Dough- I love the texture and flavor when you chill the dough for 24 hours. HOWEVER, it's not mandatory. Sometimes you just can't plan that far in advance!
- Use my homemade vanilla extract recipe for delicious flavor!