Meet your new favorite cookie recipe. These Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are pretty to look at, and they taste even better! You only need four ingredients to make perfect chewy cookies with a deep red hue.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
Have you tried my original Red Velvet Cookies recipe yet? These cookies are similar but made with boxed cake mix so they’re even easier!
- Instead of measuring and combining a ton of ingredients, you just open the box and half the work is done.
- Before baking, Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are rolled in sugar for a sweet crunchy coating.
- Red, white and blue M&Ms add patriotic flare and amp up the chocolate factor! Use Christmas M&M’s for winter!
If you’re love today’s cookies, our homemade red velvet cake recipe is phenomenal. Moist, delicious, and so easy.
Only four ingredients for today’s cookie recipe!
- Red Velvet Cake Mix. You’ll need a full box of mix for this recipe. Any brand.
- Vegetable Oil.
- Large Eggs.
- M&M candies. I used red, white and blue ones for the Fourth of July. Feel free to mix up the colors you use for different occasions. You could also add sprinkles with chocolate chips if you can’t find the holiday M&M’s.
STEP 1. Make the cookie dough
Combine the red velvet cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Fold in half of the M&Ms.
STEP 2. Chill
Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
STEP 3. Roll in sugar
Shape dough into 2 inch balls. Roll each one in granulated sugar.
STEP 4. Bake
Bake for 8-9 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Remove them from the oven and immediately press the rest of the M&Ms into the tops of each baked cookie.
Let Red Velvet Cake Mix cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t overbake. The cookies will look soft and underdone at the end of baking time. They’ll continue cooking after you take them out of the oven.
- Make sure to chill the dough. Before chilling, the dough will be too soft to work with.
- Store in an airtight container. These cookies stay good for about 1 week. But chances are good you’ll eat them all well before then!
- MORE holiday treats. If you love these festive cookies, try our super easy and delicious Flag Cake too! Or give these red white and blue rice krispie treats a try soon.
Yes, these cookies will keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can. If you do, let the dough sit out on the counter for about 15 minutes before scooping it into balls. The longer the dough chills, the harder the cookies come out.
No, Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies should be soft and chewy. If yours turned out hard, you may have over chilled the dough or left them in the oven for too long.
The cake mix is the foundation of this cookie recipe. If you don’t have the mix, I suggest making my from-scratch Red Velvet Cookies instead.
More Cookie Recipes
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix 15.25 oz
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Red White, & Blue M&M’s
- ½ cup granulated sugar for coating
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs and beat until combined.
- Fold in half of the M&M’s.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (about 2 Tablespoons) to portion out the dough and gently roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in the granulated sugar to coat. Place the balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Do not over bake these cookies, they will look puffy and slightly underdone, but they will finish cooking on the baking sheet after coming out of the oven.
- Press the M&M’s into the tops of the cookies immediately after they come out of the oven. Cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chilled Dough– Chill these cookies for at least 45 minutes and not longer than 1 hour. The dough will be too soft to shape and roll without chilling. Prior to the 1 hour mark these cookies really puff up and have more of a soft and chewy texture, after 1 hour they can become hard and crunchy. If you chill for longer than one hour, let sit on counter for at least 15 minutes before scooping dough.
- Storage: Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Grab some M&Ms and get baking! Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are the perfect eye-catching addition to your summer celebrations.