Red Velvet Cupcakes
I have never been a lover of red velvet cake. I guess I didn’t understand the love some of you feel about red velvet. However, having made them into cupcakes, I am now smitten. If you can be smitten with a cupcake. I think eating 4 of them is love. Yes? Plus, they are red and perfect for 4th of July, Valentine’s Day, and Christmas. So I knew I had to find a way to love this cake!
I had visions of making some marshmallow fondant and coloring it red and blue and then cutting out stars. But that didn’t happen today. I was too busy eating cupcakes. And what’s the point in going through all that trouble when these cupcakes are amazing without the fondant stars? Besides, there are only a couple cupcakes left at this point
Just kidding. Don’t fret mom. I have plenty of cupcakes to bring this weekend. And caramel corn. And chocolate covered pretzels. And berry bark. Plenty I tell ya!
So go ahead. Take a bite. It looks yummy, right?
I took a bite for you too.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red gel food coloring
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- For the cupcakes, sift dry ingredients. I don’t usually follow that step in other recipes, but it’s important in this one!
- In mixer, blend oil, milk, eggs, vanilla, vinegar and food coloring until combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients.
- Pour 2/3rd full into cupcake liners. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18 minutes (or 10 minutes for mini muffin, or 30 minutes for two-9inch cakes).
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in remaining ingredients and beat until creamy and desired consistency. Add in more milk if needed.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**