Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
These Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes are fluffy strawberry cupcakes topped with sweet swirls of vanilla buttercream, homemade chocolate ganache, sprinkles, and a cherry on top!
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
Lately I’ve been turning some of my favorite ice cream desserts into cupcakes. Remember last month I made this Chocolate Vanilla Swirl frosting on a chocolate cupcake? It’s like a zebra cone (or twist cone)!
Well today we’re making Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes! I remember being a kid and getting hot fudge sundaes at the local ice cream shop. They would be topped with strawberry sauce, hot fudge, sprinkles, whipped cream, and of course a cherry on top!
Today’s cupcake recipe starts with a Strawberry Cupcake. I used a box mix, so that I could get a nice solid base, plus I was cutting time when I made these. I had already made a batch of homemade chocolate cupcakes that day, as well as these Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting. If you have a favorite strawberry cupcake recipe from scratch, feel free to use it (and send it to me too…I’m in need of a new one!).
To mimic the whipped cream on my childhood favorite ice cream sundae, I used my delicious vanilla buttercream frosting recipe. It’s out of this world!!
How to make Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes:
- Start by baking a batch of Strawberry Cupcakes. Either use a mix or this delicious Strawberry Cupcake recipe. Prepare them according to package (recipe) and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Next, whip up a batch of creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. I love to use this recipe with fresh vanilla beans, but if they’re too pricey for you, just use a pure vanilla extract. I usually have a bottle of Vanilla Paste on hand at all times. It’s the best of both worlds. You get the vanilla extract and the beans in a rich, fragrant flavored paste!
- You’ll also need to make a chocolate ganache. I like to use a good quality chocolate for this, as you want it to taste amazing, and melt smooth.
- Finally, you’ll need some sprinkles and a “cherry on top.” You can use a red gumball, or even a peanut M&M’s. I happened to find a red cherry sour ball (much like a lemon drop).
- And that’s how you make a cupcake look like an ice cream sundae!
Here’s what you need to make Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes:
- First, you’ll need a cupcake tin and paper liners. I like to get my liners from here, as they are greaseproof, which means the color of the liner won’t fade as you bake!
- I also like to use a LARGE cookie scoop to portion out the cupcake batter. This 3 Tbsp scoop is usually perfect!
- For today’s recipe you don’t need a special pastry bag and tips. I just used a large gallon sized ziploc bag, snipped off the corner, and piped big dollops onto each cupcake. Be generous…this is your “ice cream” layer…and everyone loves a double scoop, haha!
Looking for more fun cupcake ideas?
- This fudgy, decadent Copycat Hostess Cupcake recipe looks and tastes like the real thing. Only better, I promise!
- How fun are these Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes with their swirl of sweet frosting? Add a paper straw to complete the look!
- These Watermelon Cupcakes are my oldest daughter’s favorite treat. She usually asks me to make these at least once a year!
- Remember malt shops? This Chocolate Malt Cupcake recipe with Vanilla Malt Buttercream has a hint of malt and is topped with a fluffy buttercream infused with even more malt flavor.
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes recipe:
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time:1 hour
1 batch strawberry cupcakes, prepared (24 cupcakes)
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
For the ganache:
- 1 package (11oz) dark chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- sprinkles, optional
- candy "cherry on top", optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Cool completely on a wire rack before adding frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes, until pale yellow and smooth. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, and milk. Beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Using a large ziploc bag, fill with the frosting. Snip off the corner and pipe onto each cupcake (pattern doesn't matter).
- For the ganache, place the chocolate and heavy cream in a glass bowl. Heat in microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Cool 5 minutes, then spoon over the frosting.
- Add sprinkles and "cherry on top" immediately. ENJOY!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**