Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting
Light and refreshing, this Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting recipe is the perfect addition to homemade lemon cupcakes.
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!
Click HERE to save to pinterest!
Frosting can make or break a cupcake. In my mind, it doesn’t matter if you have the most delicious cupcake base, a bad batch of frosting and I’m out. However, you can take a boxed cupcake mix and top it with a creamy homemade frosting, and suddenly it’s transformed into the best cupcake you’ve ever eaten.
I had a friend recently request a homemade whipped cream frosting recipe. You see, unlike me, she’s not a big fan of overly sweet buttercream frosting. If you’ve noticed on some of my cupcake recipes, like these Carrot Cake Cupcakes and this Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcake, you’ll see that I like to go big when it comes to frosting. I prefer equal amounts of frosting to cupcake.
But apparently not everyone feels that way. Some people prefer a less sweet topping on their cake.
Years ago I made the most delicious Lemon Cupcakes you’ll ever try! I topped them with the most amazing Lemon Buttercream Frosting you’ll ever eat. So today, I took that lemon cupcake and made a less sweet frosting…a Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting! Holy deliciousness, I’m kinda a fan of this treat.
How to make Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting:
- First, start with a clean mixing bowl (attached to a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer). You’ll want to beat your heavy whipping cream for several minutes until thick. I did this for about 3 minutes using the whisk attachment on my mixer.
- Next, while it’s mixing, slowly sprinkle in the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon extract. Do this over a matter of a 2 minutes.
- For my cupcakes, I wanted a frosting that holds up and would allow me to pipe it out of a pastry bag. I added 1 tsp of clear jel (<——I bought it on Amazon).
- Finally, keep the frosting and cupcakes REFRIGERATED. This will get soft at room temperature!
What’s YOUR favorite cupcake and frosting combo? Share it in the comments, I always need recipe inspiration!
More Frosting recipes you may enjoy:
- First things first, the very best CHOCOLATE frosting recipe. We all need to have a go-to buttercream in our recipe boxes, and this one is my favorite!
- My friend Lisa makes the most amazing Cream Cheese Frosting! You’ll want this one to add to your red velvet cakes/cupcakes and carrot cakes!
- Have you heard of 7-minute frosting? Michelle makes this creamy, meringue like frosting with a marshmallow flavor. OMG it’s so good!
- For the holiday’s, you’ll want to pin this Peppermint White chocolate frosting recipe. It’s perfect on brownies!
- Cream Cheese Maple Pecan Frosting. I mean, does it get better than this? Perfect on carrot cake and pumpkin cakes! Thank you Karen for this recipe!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting recipe:
Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time:20 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, beat heavy cream with a whisk (attached to a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar,lemon extract, lemon zest, and clear jel.
- Beat an additional 2-3 minutes until desired consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and refrigerate for one hour. Serve cold and enjoy. Keep cupcakes in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**