Pumpkin Magic Cake
Look at those beautiful layers in this Pumpkin Magic Cake! This is a must make recipe for the holidays!
Be sure to sign up for my free email subscription…new recipes in your inbox
There is a lot of controversy going on in our country right now. I’m sure you’ve been on the internet. Specifically facebook. I’ve seen the controversy popping up everywhere. You know what it’s about…
I’m sorry were you thinking something more political? This is a food blog after all, can’t get too crazy.
However, whenever I mention I use Cool Whip, I feel like there is a bit of judgement handed down upon me. As if I’m feeding my children arsenic.
I grew up eating Cool Whip on our pumpkin pies. I’m sorry, it’s true. On Thanksgiving, Grandma would put out a tub of the white, creamy stuff and a can of whipped cream (nobody thought twice about making homemade whipped cream..).
I always chose the Cool Whip. Sorry friends, it pairs wonderfully with pumpkin pie. If you prefer to not eat it, that’s cool. Here’s a recipe for a homemade whipped cream.
When I saw this Pumpkin Magic Cake on Shawn’s blog, I knew it had to be made. I have been eyeing this cake recipe for over a year! (I’ve also made several other recipes from her site…and she has a delicious cookbook on the shelves now too!)
Shawn has a pudding frosting to top her cake, but I skipped that for my end result and just used Cool Whip (remember, I love it on pumpkin pie)! This cake is making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table because we LOVED it so much!!
And it’s truly a magic cake. Start with your cake mix layer. Pour in your pumpkin pie mixture. While the cake bakes, the two layers magically separate. When you remove the cake from the oven you’re going to think to yourself, “I did something wrong, it doesn’t look separated.” Trust me. Wait until you slice into the cake to make that call, it will WORK. Be sure to cool and chill this cake COMPLETELY before topping it with frosting (or Cool Whip). Serve cold and enjoy!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Pumpkin Magic Cake
Yield: 13x9 cake
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:60-65 minutes
For the Cake layer:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
For the pumpkin layer:
- 1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
For the frosting:
- 1 tub (16 oz) Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Spray 13x9 baking dish with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake layer by blending ingredients together until smooth. Beat 2 minutes and pour into prepared baking dish.
- For the pumpkin layer, combine ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into cake layer. Pumpkin will sink down to the bottom, as it should. No need to swirl or smooth.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. The cake will look a little more "done" than usual, that's okay. Frost cooled cake with Cool Whip and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 4 hours or overnight). ENJOY!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Looking for more cake recipe ideas? I’ve got you covered!
Banana Macadamia Nut Cake: If you love banana snack cakes…and macadamia nuts, then this cake is just for you!
Coconut Cream Poke Cake: a sweet treat at the end of your meal!
Apple Pie Poke Cake: this sweet cake is a cross between a classic pie and a moist cake. A family favorite!!
If you love today’s Pumpkin Magic Cake, then you should try these recipes from my friends:
- Sweet Cornbread Cake from The Cozy Apron
- Mama’s Sweet Potato Cake from The Country Cook
- Buttermilk Sheet Cake from Cookies and Cups
- Pumpkin Butterfinger Cake from Inside BruCrew Life
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**