Lemon Pudding Cake is flavorful, moist, and made with only 5 ingredients. From the first bite, you’ll love this dense citrus cake recipe!
Why this Recipe Works
Pudding cake has to be one of the most simple desserts there is! Well, unless you count tearing into a package of Oreos, that is.
But if you want to bake something yourself that is simple and delicious, this lemon pudding cake is the recipe for you.
- This lemon pudding cake only has five ingredients and is so easy to make.
- The taste and texture of this cake sure give Oreos a run for their money. I love the light, lemon flavor, especially during the sping and summer, when I tend to enjoy desserts that are less heavy.
- If you aren’t a fan of lemon, there are so many different options you can do with pudding cakes!
This lemon pudding cake is perfect when you want something cold and refreshing for dessert and it’s so easy! No measuring out sugar, flour, and other ingredients. It’s all in the cake mix and pudding mix.
This lemon pudding cake is best served cold. Some pudding cake recipes are served as a warm pudding cake, which is more like a lava cake. But I like the cold and refreshing change that this cake provides.
Pudding cakes are much more dense and moist compared to a regular cake, so don’t be shocked if it’s not the type of cake you are used to! Enjoy!
How to Make Lemon Pudding Cake
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix together, until smooth. Beat in the lemon cake mix at medium speed until well blended. Gently fold in the white chocolate chip morsels.
Step 2: Pour your batter into a greased 13” x 9” baking dish. Bake according to the instructions on the cake mix. (Follow the cooking times for a 13” x 9” cake pan. Usually 35 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees, depending on the cake mix brand.)
Step 3: Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until it’s time to serve. Top it with Cool Whip (and sprinkles) and enjoy!
Can I make Lemon Pudding Cake Cupcakes?
Can I swap out flavors of cake mixes and/or pudding mixes?
Yes! There are so many possibilities with this easy pudding cake recipe!
You can easily swap out the cake mix and pudding flavors to make your own pudding cake.
Go to any grocery store and you’ll see a shelf full of different flavors of pudding—coconut cream, vanilla, cheesecake, butterscotch—there are so many choices. Not to mention all of the seasonal flavors.
I can’t wait to try this with peppermint and pumpkin pudding this year!
Can I use Homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip
This frosting is a less sweet version of my Lemon Buttercream Frosting and is perfect for these lighter cupcakes. It is so light and refreshing and pairs well with the flavors of the pudding cake.
Tips and Tricks
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice to your batter to give it an extra lemon zing.
- You can also dust your cake with powdered sugar once it’s done cooking and leave it frosting-free for a lighter treat.
- If you opt for a different cake mix and pudding flavor, make sure they complement each other well. Here are some fun combinations:
- Rainbow chip cake and cheesecake pudding
- Red velvet cake with french vanilla pudding
- Strawberry cake with strawberry cream pudding
- Spice cake with pumpkin spice pudding
- Chocolate cake with peppermint pudding
More Lemon Recipes
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Homemade Lemon Curd
- Lemon Crumb Cake
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Hand Pies
- Lemon Cheesecake
More Cake Recipes
- Coconut Pudding Cake
- Lemon Poke Cake
- Strawberry Eclair Cake – with CHEESECAKE Pudding!
- Cream Puff Cake
- Banana Eclair Cake
Lemon Pudding Cake recipe with 5 ingredients is the perfect light dessert for summer.