This moist cake is bursting with natural strawberry flavor! Beautiful Strawberry Cake layers are covered in an irresistible buttercream frosting. No food coloring or artificial flavors. Just a picture perfect summery dessert!
Looking for more recipes with freeze dried strawberries? Everyone loves these Strawberry Macarons–and you can make them all year long! Or give these Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars a try!
Why this Recipe Works
Baking the perfect strawberry cake has always been a challenge for me. If you buy the store bought mix, you’ll end up with a bright pink cake that is lacking in flavor.
However, if you use fresh berries, you’ll have a dense cake and watery frosting.
Here’s how to solve those problems!
- Freeze dried strawberries give this cake a fresh-from-the-vine strawberry flavor, without adding the water content of fresh berries.
- You can make it all year long! No need to wait until strawberry season to try this recipe.
- My Strawberry Cake recipe looks beautiful but has no artificial food dyes. You’ll love the gorgeous layers of naturally colored cake and frosting.
Freeze Dried Strawberries. You’ll find these in 1 ounce bags in the dried fruit aisle. Or order a few bags online.
Cake flour. This has less protein and a finer texture than its all-purpose counterpart. It gives the cake its delicate fluffy consistency. I’ve got tips and tricks on how to make your own cake flour!
Buttermilk. My Buttermilk Substitute works beautifully here.
Egg Whites. Save those egg yolks and make a delicious batch of our homemade lemon curd (would also pair nicely with today’s cake!
Pulse the strawberries.
- Add freeze dried strawberries to a food processor. Pulse to form fine crumbs, or leave a little texture for a pop of fresh color.
- Grease and flour two round cake pans. Use my homemade cake release for best results!
Prepare the batter.
- Whisk egg whites with 1/4 cup of the buttermilk to combine. In a separate bowl, mix the cake flour with kosher salt and baking powder.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter with sugar and the strawberry crumbs. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and the egg mixture to the mixer in batches until smooth. Beat in the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans. Bake for 26 – 28 minutes.
- Let strawberry cake layers cool completely before frosting.
Frost and Assemble
- Beat together the frosting ingredients until blended and fluffy. Frost the top of one cake layer. Add the second layer on top, then spread frosting over the top and sides.
- Garnish Strawberry Cake with sliced fresh strawberries before serving, if desired!
Tips and Tricks
- Line pans with parchment paper. Cut out a 9 inch circle of parchment paper to add to the bottom of the cake pans. In addition to greasing and flouring, this helps the baked cakes slide out with ease.
- Storing. Keep this Strawberry Cake covered at room temperature. Or freeze slices in plastic wrap (then slide in ziplocs or airtight container) for up to 3 months.
- Frosting. Our cake is delicious served with strawberry frosting. But would also pair beautifully with our homemade chocolate frosting, vanilla frosting, or sour cream frosting!
If you don’t have cake flour, you can make a homemade substitute with two ingredients: all purpose flour and cornstarch.
For this recipe, replace 1/4 cup of the flour with cornstarch to get similar results.
Neither fresh nor frozen strawberries will work in this cake recipe. Both have a high water content that makes them delicious to eat on their own but tricky to bake into a layer cake. Freeze dried strawberries give the cake the fresh berry taste in super concentrated form.
Yes, you can make the cake layers ahead of time, wrap them in freezer bags and freeze them for about 2 months. Let thaw and add the frosting fresh before serving.
This cake does not bake up with a bright pink hue, but I like it that way! I opted to leave it “au natural” instead of adding food coloring. You can’t miss the spectacular strawberry flavor and aroma, even without the signature bright pink hue.
Do you need to whip the egg whites until peaks form?
How long do you bake it for with a 13×9 inch pan?
I can confirm that this recipe works with homemade dehydrated strawberries! I used my Ninja Air Fryer Dual to dehydrate a couple punnets of strawberries, and when they were completely dry I blitzed them in the food processor like the recipe called for. Worked perfectly. Freeze dried strawberries cost a fortune were I am (UK) so this was a great alternative for anyone who can’t get hold of them.
I used the dehydrate setting for 6 hours on 60•C, chunky slices and two layers (used a wide rack). No need to turn them, just turned them on and forgot about them the day before I planned on making this cake. Still gave that super concentrated bursts of flavour, thanks!
Follow the recipe in the recipe card 🙂
Can real strawberry puree be used instead of greeze dried strawberries?
Can real strawberry puree be used instead of freeze dried strawberries?
No. strawberry puree has too much liquid and won’t give you the same results. Freeze dried strawberries are 100% fruit, without the liquid.
I want to try out this Recipe but I don’t have freeze dried strawberries where I live can I use the strawberries any other way ?
I updated the recipe to make it even better!
Yummy! This strawberry cake was such a hit and so addicting! We enjoyed this delicious cake after our dinner last night and we loved it! I had fun making this with my daughter and I can’t wait to make it again!
The freeze-dried strawberries take this over the top. Spot on flavor and texture!
Could this be made in a 9 X 13 pan?
I cannot frost a cake to save my soul so I am unofficially the Bundt Cake Queen. Would you have any suggestions on modifying ingredient amounts for a bundt cake or for making a strawberry glaze, like a white glaze with strawberries in it instead of a frosting that isn’t going to run down the sides like a glaze would? Thanks!
You had me at buttercream frosting and strawberries! I’m not a huge fan of chocolate cakes, so this is a great alternative – I’m definitely going to try it out!
This cake is so fluffy and delicious! Craving a slice right now!
I’m happy to eat strawberry any time of year!! especially when it’s paired with vanilla!!
Oh my goodness! This looks amazing!!
This strawberry cake is delicious! Super easy to make and it was a hit!
I made this cake today and my husband said it was the BEST
strawberry cake he has ever had! He has requested it for his
Aw that’s so awesome to hear, thank you!
Can I use gluten free flour equally for cake flour ?
I’m not sure as I haven’t tested that!
SO many things I love about this…first that it’s unexpected, strawberry in December, but I love that because it’s such a nice change from the red and green! The crumb and texture look perfect, the frosting too, and it’s a scratch cake with GREAT tips about cake making in general!
Aww thanks! My husband would love a classic Strawberry Cake over Egg Nog and Peppermint any day! 🙂