Looking for an intense chocolate cake recipe? This tried and true Dark Chocolate Cake is full of rich cocoa flavor. Topped with smooth vanilla frosting, the moist and sweet cake is perfect for any occasion!
Why this Recipe is Best
When it comes to chocolate, it’s hard to pick a favorite. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate–I love it all.
Today’s cake recipe is all about the elegant decadence of dark chocolate!
- This cake recipe uses dark chocolate cocoa powder for a bittersweet chocolate flavor.
- The dark chocolate taste is balanced with a sweet, creamy vanilla frosting that’s so delicious you’ll want to eat it with a spoon.
- It makes a beautiful and tasty birthday cake for all the dark chocolate lovers in your life!
You’ll love indulging in a slice of this rich and decadent dark chocolate cake. You can also pair this with our favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting instead!
My traditional chocolate cake recipe is quite similar to today’s recipe. Here’s a few of the ingredient highlights!
- Dark cocoa powder. Familiar brands like Hershey’s Special Dark work perfectly. For an even deeper color, try it with black cocoa powder!
- Brewed coffee. This does not (I repeat, does NOT) give the cake a coffee flavor. We use coffee in many of our chocolate recipes because it brings out a deeper dimension of flavor in the chocolate. It allows the cocoa powder to bloom, dissolve, and taste amazing.
- Vanilla extract. Using a pure good quality vanilla makes all the difference. Learn How to Make Vanilla Extract for the best vanilla flavor every time.
Make the chocolate cake batter.
First, you’ll combine your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine cooled brewed coffee and milk.
Beat together sugar and butter. Add in the eggs, then the dry ingredients and coffee mixture in batches.
Bake the cake layers.
Divide the batter between two round cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool before adding the frosting.
Add vanilla frosting.
Start the frosting by beating butter for several minutes until pale and fluffy. Next, beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Place one dark chocolate cake layer on a cake plate. Spread vanilla frosting on top. Sprinkle with mini chocolate morsels.
Add the remaining cake layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with a thin layer of frosting. Let set for about 15 minutes.
Finally, add another layer of frosting to the top and sides of the cake. Use your hand to press mini morsels into the sides of the cake.
Slice and serve!
Tips and Tricks
- Use a straight edge spatula to smooth the final layer of vanilla frosting.
- Make sure to grease and flour your cake pans before baking this cake. For even easier removal, add a circle of parchment paper to the bottom or the cake pans too. You can even use our homemade cake release for best results.
- For best presentation, place strips of parchment paper on the cake plate under the first layer of cake. After frosting, remove the strips to reveal a perfectly clean edge and cake plate!
- Frosting. Pair this dark chocolate cake with a tangy chocolate sour cream frosting for a delicious duo. Or use our vanilla sour cream frosting to keep that black and white contrast!
If you don’t have any coffee or prefer not to use it, replace it with hot water in this recipe.
Yes, but then it won’t be a dark chocolate cake!
You can use full sized morsels if you prefer. They tend not to stick to the frosting as well–and, of course, the larger size creates a difference in consistency.
More Cake Recipes
- Vanilla Cake Rolls are easy and light, a perfect summer birthday treat! Add sprinkles for more fun!
- This Lemon Cake has a homemade Lemon Curd filling and Whipped Cream Cheese frosting too! Perfect for that citrus lover!
- Looking for something a little richer? A little bit more chocolate? This Chocolate Cake with Mint Chip Frosting is your answer (don’t mind the old photos!!) The frosting truly tastes like mint chip icecream!
- Carrot Cake
- Hummingbird Cake
- Jello Poke Cake
Just try to resist a second (or third) piece of this easy Dark Chocolate Cake!