Homemade Lemon Cake with a layer of creamy lemon frosting and fresh lemon curd! From scratch and delicious!
Click HERE to save this recipe to Pinterest
Seriously, have I mentioned how much I love lemon desserts? Has it been made clear to you all yet that I would choose a lemon cake over a rich chocolate brownie?
Not to say I don’t love brownies. Please. I just happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE all lemon desserts.
This is my version of Olive Garden’s Lemon Crumb Cake. Only I fancied it up a bit. I pimped it out. And it’s way better.
Trust me. I made a from scratch, lemon cake using my favorite cupcake recipe. To get level cakes, I always use Wilton Bake Even strips on my cake pans. Works like a charm. No leveling and cutting the cake.
How to make Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd
I also made a fluffy cream cheese filling for this cake. You could double this and use it to frost the cake. But I was going for a bit of a different look. Plus, I think this cake doesn’t need all that frosting. I know. Me. Saying a cake doesn’t need frosting. But I speak the truth.
The extra layer of homemade lemon curd is another one of my extra touches to this cake. It’s optional of course, but I think it’s gorgeous! The crumb layer on top adds the perfect finishing touch! ENJOY!
Love this recipe? Find more delicious recipes by following me on Pinterest:
Love lemon desserts? Here are a few of my favorite recipes…
These Lemon Crunch Cookies are filled with lemon cream cookies, crumbled. Oh my are they delicious!!
These Citrus Cookies not only have lemon, but also some orange and lime! One of my favorite cookies!
Lemon Curd Tart with Macadamia Crust. Really, no other words are necessary!!
Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!
From scratch lemon cake with creamy filling and lemon curd
For the Cake:
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
- 2 lemons, zested
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the filling
- 4oz unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp lemon curd, divided
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To prepare cake, grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper (cut circles to fit). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites, 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk.
- Pour evenly into cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25-28 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool in cake pans 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- For the filling, beat butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp lemon curd in a mixing bowl for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients until crumbly. It's easiest to use your hands and just crumble the butter with flour and sugar until pea size. Set aside.
- To assemble cake. Lay first layer of cake on a cake stand. Top with all but 1/2 cup of cream cheese filling. Add 1/2 cup lemon curd and 1/2 cup dry cake topping. Top with second layer of cake. Spread remaining 1/2 cup lemon curd on top and remaining 1/2 cup cream cheese filling. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the entire top of the cake. Refrigerate at least two hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 590Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 1gSugar: 55gProtein: 6g
Recipe originally published March 31, 2013