These Pineapple Orange Cupcakes are a light, fruity dessert topped with whipped cream! Learn how to make the perfect low-calorie cupcakes with this easy recipe.
I’m obsessed with delicious desserts paired with whipped cream. From our easy heaven on earth cake to this classic strawberry jello cake, we love it!
Why these Cupcakes are Best
Have you ever heard of Pig Pickin Cake?
Like almost all decadent cakes, the Pig Pickin Cake came from the South. It got its name because it was very common at pig roasts and barbecues. Guests “picked” the tender meat off the cooked pig, which is how a Southern barbecue became known as a “pig pickin.”
Well now that you know how it got it’s name, you’re wondering. . . What exactly IS a Pig Pickin’ Cake?
Pig Pickin Cake (or cupcakes) is made from white cake mix, combined with a can of mandarin oranges. It’s sweet (but not too sweet) with a light and fluffy texture.
- I turned my favorite Pineapple Orange Cake recipe (aka “Pig Pickin Cake”) into cupcakes!
- They’re a lightened up version of a classic southern recope. Made with applesauce instead of butter or oil!
- Moist, orange cupcakes are topped with a pineapple infused whipped cream frosting.
- Less than 75 calories per cupcake!
Southern or not, you’re going to love these cupcakes! Since they’re so low in calories, feel free to enjoy a second. Or even a third.
Wondering how I make such a great tasting cupcake while keeping the calorie count in the double digits? Here are the magic ingredients.
- White cake mix – Any brand of boxed mix will do.
- Applesauce – The unsweetened kind. It makes the cupcakes moist and tender without adding extra fat and sugar. We love our homemade applesauce.
- Egg whites – Works as a binder with a fraction of the calories of whole eggs.
- Mandarin oranges – You’ll use the whole contents of the can, juices and all to add flavor, sweetness and moisture to your pineapple orange cupcakes.
Making the cupcakes is as easy as mixing the ingredients together and spooning the batter into your cupcake tin. Bake, cool and top with this amazing whipped cream topping.
For that, you’ll need:
- Crushed pineapple – Choose the unsweetened kind.
- Vanilla pudding mix – For flavor and creaminess.
- Light cool whip – Or substitute a batch of my homemade Stabilized Whipped Cream for a less processed option.
Top each dollop of frosting with an extra mandarin orange slice for a perfect finishing touch. So simple and tasty.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t waste your egg yolks! You can use them in this easy lemon curd recipe.
- Refrigerate the frosted pineapple orange cupcakes for at least an hour before eating. They taste best chilled!
- For more fruity flavor, use orange, pineapple, banana or coconut pudding mix in the frosting instead of vanilla.
- Try our pistachio pie recipe next. Easy, no bake treat!
By our calculations, each cupcake has about 64 calories. The exact calorie count will vary a bit depending on the brands of products you use.
I have not tested any gluten free versions of this recipe, so I can’t vouch for the results. If you have a gluten free cake mix you like, feel free to give it a shot and let me know how it comes out.
Yes, you should keep these cupcakes (and all cupcakes with a whipped cream frosting) stored in the refrigerated when you aren’t eating them.
Fresh whipped cream could be used. It will increase the calorie count quite a bit and the frosting will not stay “set” as long on top of the cupcakes.
More Light Cupcake Recipes
- Indulge in one (or more!) of these Skinny Pineapple Cupcakes for dessert! Made with only 3 ingredients you can be enjoying one of these no guilt treats tonight!
- Incredibly easy, these Lemon Pudding Cupcakes are moist and delicious! Topped with a creamy, light lemon frosting, you’ll love to sink your teeth into one of these cupcakes!
- Crazy moist and fluffy, these Banana Pudding Cupcakes are the perfect dessert!
I am now on a Ketogenic Diet so I wish to UNSUBSCRIBE to your site. I have unsuccessfully tried twice but I continue to receive your emails. Please direct this to your website people so I can unsubscribe. Thank you. Your unsubscribe notation is not found on your site. Please amend.
At the bottom of each email is an unsubscribe option. Sorry to see you go, good luck with your diet 🙂
Ohmygosh these are LEGENDARY! So light and fluffy and flavorful!
I make a cake (didn’t know it was a pig pickin’ cake lol) just like this one during the summer months and love the light orange taste highlighted with sweet pineapple. Great idea to make it into cupcakes for a little more portion control.