These Pineapple Orange Cupcakes are an easy, light dessert idea that are nearly guilt free! Less than 75 calories per cupcake!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Have you ever heard of Pig Pickin Cake? I had to look up the meaning behind this cake, because of the odd name.
The Pig Pickin Cake came from the South (where all good cakes originate from, haha). This cake got its name because it was very common at pig roasts and barbecues. Guests “picked” the tender meat off the cooked pig, which is how a Southern barbecue became known as a “pig pickin.”
What is a Pig Pickin Cake?
Well now that you know how it got it’s name, you’re wondering, what is it exactly?
My Pig Pickin Cake recipe (Pineapple Orange Cake) is a cake mix mixed with a can of mandarin oranges, egg whites, and applesauce (I clearly lightened it up a bit from the original southern version).
You then top this cake with a mixture of pudding mix, crushed pineapple, and Cool Whip.
It’s seriously so light and refreshing and the perfect summer treat.
But, it’s also perfect in January when you are OVER the heavy butter cookies and candies, but still want a sweet dessert!
How to make Pineapple Orange Cupcakes
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
In a large bowl, add a white cake mix, a can of mandarin oranges in their own juice (do not drain), egg whites, and applesauce (no sugar added).
*save your egg yolks and use them to make this delicious Lemon Curd recipe!*
Beat cake mixture for two minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
Spoon into muffin cups until batter is evenly divided between them.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool completely before adding frosting.
For the frosting, combine a can of crushed pineapple (with own juices, undrained) to a box of instant vanilla pudding mix. Mix with a spoon until combined. Fold in Cool Whip. Scoop a dollop onto each cooled cupcake.
I used an extra can of mandarin oranges to garnish each cupcake with a slice of orange. Totally optional.
Refrigerate cupcakes for one hour or more. Serve within 4 days. ENJOY!
More Light and Refreshing Cupcake recipes
Indulge in one (or more!) of these Skinny Pineapple Cupcakes for dessert! Made with only 3 ingredients you can be enjoying one of these no guilt treats tonight!
Incredibly easy, these Lemon Pudding Cupcakes are moist and delicious! Topped with a creamy, light lemon frosting, you’ll love to sink your teeth into one of these cupcakes!
Crazy moist and fluffy, these Banana Pudding Cupcakes are the perfect dessert!
What you need to make Pig Pickin Cupcakes
White Cake Mix
1 Can Mandarin Oranges (two cans if you want to garnish them like I did)
4 Egg Whites
Applesauce (no sugar added)
1 Can Crushed Pineapple
1 Box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
These Pineapple Orange Cupcakes are an easy, light dessert idea that are nearly guilt free!
For the cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 can (15 oz) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup no sugar added applesauce
For the frosting
- 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained (no sugar added)
- 1 box (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 8 oz light Cool Whip
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix white cake mix, mandarin oranges (with liquid), egg whites, and apple sauce. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Spoon cake batter into cupcake liners, until evenly distributed, about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center is dry.
- Remove from oven and cool cupcakes on wire rack, completely.
- For the frosting, in a bowl mix together the crushed pineapple (with juices) with the pudding mix. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spoon frosting over each cupcake. Add a slice of mandarin orange for garnish, if desired. Refrigerate one hour or more.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 4 days. ENJOY.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g