Top your ice cream with this homemade Magic Shell and you’ll instantly feel like a kid again! It’s rich, chocolatey, and you won’t believe how easy it is to make it. Just 3 ingredients!
Table of Contents
A Must Try Recipe
And this Magic Shell recipe is the perfect finishing touch!
If you begged your mom to buy those plastic squeeze bottles of Magic Shell at the grocery store when you were a kid (or if your kids beg you for them now!), you’re going to love this easy 3-ingredient recipe.
Here’s why it’s a must-make:
- You’ll get instant nostalgia when you drizzle magic shell on top of your ice cream! Wait a few seconds and the liquid chocolate hardens into a solid coating. Just like the name says, it’s magic!
- Unlike some homemade recipes for store-bought favorites, this magic shell recipe comes together in just a few minutes with 3 simple ingredients. It’s so easy you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making it yourself all along!
- It’s a delicious way to take any scoop of ice cream to the next level—and it tastes better than store-bought too.
Only a Few Ingredients
- Semi-sweet chocolate – I recommend bars over chocolate chips because they’ll melt more smoothly.
- Coconut oil – Our magic ingredient! Coconut oil is key because it’s solid when cold, but liquid at room temperature.
- Kosher salt – Just a little bit, for balance.
How to Make Magic Shell Topping
Heat: In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the chopped chocolate, coconut oil, and kosher salt in 15-second intervals. Stir between each interval, until the mixture is smooth.
Rest: Allow the magic shell to rest in the bowl for about 30 minutes, or until it’s lukewarm (not hot, but warm to touch).
Use: Spoon the magic shell topping over chocolate ice cream and watch it magically harden in seconds!
Yes, you can use any chocolate you like, including white chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate.
It will work on anything that’s frozen. Try it on frozen bananas or strawberries!
You can use either option. Unrefined coconut oil will add a light coconut flavor to the magic shell.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Fried Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Dog Ice Cream
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 bars semi-sweet chocolate, chopped, 4 ounce each bar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add chopped chocolate, coconut oil, and kosher salt. Heat in 15 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until smooth (should take less than 2 minutes).
- Allow magic shell to rest in bowl until luke warm (not hot, but warm to touch). This will take about 30 minutes.
- Spoon magic shell topping over ice cream and watch it magically harden in seconds!
- When using coconut oil, be sure to choose the coconut oil that is in a solid state (not the liquid that may float on top).
- Store magic shell in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave to enjoy it again. Be sure to let it get lukewarm again. If it’s too hot it will melt the ice cream.
- Stove top instructions: Heat ingredients in a double boiler (bowl or double boiler over a pot of simmering water). Stir until smooth and allow to rest as instructed about.
- See blog post for more recipe tips and tricks.