Learn how to make the perfect Vanilla Sponge Cake Roll with homemade Funfetti Whipped Cream filling. Enjoy this rolled cake for a birthday treat or to celebrate any occasion!
Today’s recipe is oozing with childhood nostalgia. If you loved Funfetti cake as a kid, here’s an Funfetti Dip recipe you’ll love just as much as a grown-up!
What is a Cake Roll
A Cake Roll is a sponge cake that’s baked in a sheet pan, topped with a creamy filling, then rolled into a cylinder. Each slice of cake roll reveals the spiraled layers of filling and cake inside!
Most people think of pumpkin rolls when they think of a cake roll.
Cake rolls like this one are also known as “Swiss rolls” or “roll cakes” depending where you live. When jelly is used instead of a whipped cream filling, this tasty dessert is usually called a jelly roll.
Today’s Vanilla Funfetti Cake Roll starts with a light vanilla sponge cake and a rich whipped cream filling. A generous amount of rainbow sprinkles rolled inside give the Vanilla Cake roll a fun, festive touch!
To make this Funfetti Cake Roll, you’ll need your standard cake baking staples including eggs, sugar, and flour. You will also need these key ingredients for a perfect roll.
- Vanilla Extract. As the primary flavor of the sponge cake and filling, a good quality pure vanilla extract is essential. Try my Instant Pot Vanilla Extract recipe for this cake if you have time to plan ahead!
- Heavy whipping cream. Use this to make a fluffy homemade whipped cream to spread across your baked sponge cake.
- Sprinkles. We used assorted colors of jimmies sprinkles to give this cake roll a classic Funfetti look.
- Powdered sugar. This is dusted on a dish towel that’s then used to roll up the baked cake. The powdered sugar keeps the warm cake from sticking to the towel. I also use it to garnish the finished cake roll before slicing.
Things You Need To Know
Have you made a cake roll before? Here’s some tips:
- TIP#1: don’t use a regular cake mix or cake recipe when making a cake roll. They will fall apart.
- TIP#2: have your towel with powdered sugar ready when the cake comes out of the oven!
- TIP#3: Have your broom ready when you spill powdered sugar all over your kitchen trying to flip the towel and cake together.
No, a boxed mix will NOT work for this cake rolling method! The sponge cake recipe here is specifically formulated to be rolled in to the desired shape.
A 15 x 10 inch baking sheet (also called a jelly roll pan) works best for this recipe.
Do not use a smaller pan or the cake will bake too thick and bread when you attempt to roll it.
Before slicing and serving, store the roll cake tightly wrapped with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. It is best enjoyed within 1 -2 days of making.
I use a rainbow colored assortment of jimmies sprinkles. The “official” Funfetti sprinkles from Nestle would be great in this cake too!
Readers Favorite Recipes
- Thin Mint Puppy Chow: Love the taste of Thin Mint cookies but hate that you can’t eat them all year long? This muddy buddies recipe TASTES like the cookies, but none are actually used. Try it out yourself!
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream: I make a lot of cupcakes, and these are the most requested! This recipes uses my favorite white cake recipe as it’s base. Delish!
- Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: This year I’ve committed to sharing one savory recipe every week. These stuffed peppers really took off, and it’s no wonder. They are so good…and healthy too!
- English Toffee: I love making homemade candy. This is a recipe we make in our family every Christmas. We make dozens of batches to share with family and friends. Try it and you’ll understand why one batch is never enough.
- Reese’s PB Cookie Dough Dip: And of course, I can’t forget this dip. THIS DIP. This is my most popular recipe on the blog, all time. ENJOY!
I love your delicious vanilla sponge cake roll with funfetti whipped cream.your decorating is so beautifull.i try to make this .thank you so much
Never thought of using a second sheet of parchment paper when rolling the cake. What a great idea.
I attempted this cake. I’ll admit, it was delicious. But I used a slightly smaller pan and it was thick so when I attempted to roll it, it broke. Next time, I’ll remember the wise words of Sharpay Evans: bigger is better.
Hi! I am dying to make this today! However, I only have a 12×17 pan. How do you think that would work? Or, do you think I could do a smaller version in a 9×13?
I think the bigger sheet might work, you would just have to adjust baking time (lower). Definitely not use the 13×9. Good luck.
has anyone thought of doing this in chocolate and/or ice cream filling? just add cocoa?
Coming from Germany it’s called a
We also make our Torten like for Black Forest Torte with the same dough.
I use regular granulated sugar on the towel
and I use half cake flour and half potato starch and only
1 Tablespoon of warm water.
has anyone thought about doing a chocolate version and/or doing ice cream in the middle? just add cocoa?
This cake roll looks awesome!!! Today is my birthday so I may just try to make this just for my special day =)
Happy blogiversary, Aimee! You always have amazing recipes to share and I’m so glad I “found you” last year. 🙂
Awwww…..that’s the sweetest cake ever! 🙂