English Toffee Bites

by aimee @ shugarysweets on December 7, 2012

I’m shocked that this is my second holiday season and I haven’t shared these toffee bites with all of you until today!

Thanks to one of my besties, RHONDA (hey girl!!), she shared this awesome recipe with me years ago. And it became a tradition that we would have a candy making day.

We even would get our oldest daughters involved. Natasha on left, my daughter Alyssa on right- taken in 2008 they were just babies!

We usually gave them the job of rolling buckeye balls and wrapping caramels….you know, the “chores”!

This toffee is typically made in  an 11×7 pan, but a few years ago I found a silicone brownie bite pan. And it’s all I use now. No more slicing toffee, just pop them out and your good.

However, if you don’t own one of these pans (or 5 like I do), feel free to pour into a foil lined 11×7. You can also choose to do both sides of toffee with chocolate and walnuts. YUM. Breaking into pieces will leave you some shards on your cutting board. SAVE THESE. They are delicious on ice cream. Just sayin! One more tip…don’t cut this while cold. The chocolate will separate from the toffee if it’s cold while cutting. Keep it room temp!

I was invited to be part of a recipe contest, and I made it to the final round! If you have a quick minute, could you click over and give Shugary Sweets Chocolate Almond Fudge bites a vote? I’ll still be here. Go here: Sweetest 16 Contest. Thanks so much friends, I really appreciate all your support!

Isn’t this tray gorgeous? Head on over HERE to enter to win your own Nambe Infinity 2pc Server!

I have an addiction to all things TOFFEE:

Here are a few of my favorite Toffee desserts…

Chocolate chip Toffee Fudge Bars   AND   Toffee Cashew Cookies

Toffee Crunch Cookies  AND   Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple and Toffee Frosting

English Toffee Bites

Yield: 24 bites or one 11x7 pan

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 12oz milk chocolate, melted
  • 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
  • 1 cup finely ground walnuts

1. On a foil lined baking dish (11x7)- or in a silicone brownie bite pan (with 24 bites)- arrange almonds in a single layer. Set aside.
  2. In a heavy pan, combine butter, margarine, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat with a wooden spoon until butter melts, stirring constantly. (REALLY STIRRING CONSTANTLY)! Bring mixture to a rolling boil. Continue boiling (AND STIRRING) an additional 5-7 minutes until candy turns the color of almonds (about 300 degrees). Add vanilla extract. Pour over almonds. If using the brownie bite pan, I use a small metal scoop to get toffee into each bite, working quickly!
  3. Cool completely.
  4. When candy is cooled and set (about 2 hours), spread chocolate over top of toffee. Sprinkle generously with ground walnuts. If doing both sides, use only half of the chocolate and walnuts. Allow top to set before flipping over and doing bottom. When set, pop out of silicone pan and store in a airtight containers. OR cut into pieces. ENJOY!
  5. **tip- when I say stirring, I'm talking taking that wooding spoon and whipping it! haha!! I have an electric stovetop and turn my heat on 7...and it remains on 7 through the entire boiling process.
  6. **If you choose to scoop into brownie bite pan vs.pouring into a baking pan, your butter might separate a little bit by the time you get to the 20th scoop! Don't worry about it. I use my scooper to slightly stir as I take a scoop of toffee.
  7. I HOPE this helps!! ENJOY!

Linked To: I’m Lovin It  Sunday Scoop  Trick or Treat  Talent Show  Lil Luna  Friday Flair

Amber Trievel December 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

Looks delicious! Just pinned it for later!
Amber Trievel recently posted..Champion Me Personalized Children’s BookMy Profile

Nikki @ Chef in Training December 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

YUM! I LOVE toffee! Your pictures are beautiful as usual! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have the perfect new addition to my Christmas plates this year!
Nikki @ Chef in Training recently posted..Disneyland’s Mickey Mouse BeignetsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Awww thanks Nikki, that means a lot coming from you :) ENJOY the recipe!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Almond Toffee BitesMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) December 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

AHHH SO YUMMY!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Michael’s Post-a-ma-thingMy Profile

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel December 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Your daughters are gorgeous, Aimee! And they look just like you :) this toffee looks incredible! So buttery and smooth, and I love the almond accent on top. Definitely a must-make for xmas gift-giving!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..A Baker’s Holiday Wish-List!My Profile

DB-The Foodie Stuntman December 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Aimee, I found you via Kayle of The Cooking Actress. She commented above. I have my own toffee recipe, but this looks good!
DB-The Foodie Stuntman recently posted..Long-Cooked Hen in Tomato SauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thank you! So glad you found me!

Yum Girl December 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

So many delicious goodies! If I may, I’d like to invite you to submit your photos to the new YumGoggle, a photo sharing site with the philosophy that if you worked hard to cook it and photograph it, we should show it off! Hope to see you there soon!

Brittany December 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

If using the brownie bite pan (24 servings), does this recipe make just one pan?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

yes!! Sorry, I need to fix that. One pan!

Veronica December 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love anything toffee and using the silicon molds make them sooo pretty! What a great recipe :)
Veronica recently posted..Peppermint TrufflesMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

You’re the truffle and toffee queen! I can’t even keep up with them all – one looks better than the next, Aimee!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Friday ThingsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Averie, thank you!! Good to be a queen of something :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Almond Toffee BitesMy Profile

Pam in Cincinnati December 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

i saw these in the photo yesterday, started drooling, and hoped the recipe would be following soon, so i’m super happy to see it today. i think this one just made its way onto my baking day list. :)

Krista December 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

OMG. Just found it and made it! So simple! I usually scorch things like this but I nailed it first time! THANK YOU for a simple and easy recipe with few ingredients! Happy Holidays from my home to yours. :)

aimee @ shugarysweets December 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Krista,
I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! I love feedback, thank you for the sweet comment. Enjoy the toffee!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Almond Toffee BitesMy Profile

Leslie December 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Everything looks wonderful!!!! I love toffee, and these look easy and delicious!
Blessings,
Leslie
Leslie recently posted..Christmas-time MorningsMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust December 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm

It’s beautiful Aimee! I love the silicone pan idea. Perfect!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Whatever FridayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Dorothy. The silicone pan just works so perfectly. You just pop them out when they are set!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Almond Toffee BitesMy Profile

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm

This toffee is amazing!!! I want a belly full of it!!
Katrina @ In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted..Autographed Copy of Decorating Cookies with Personal Message From Bridget EdwardsMy Profile

Joan@Chocolateandmore December 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

What a great tip to use the brownie bite pan! I have one of those and some other shaped silicone pans. You are a genius! And this Toffee sounds fantastic.
Joan@Chocolateandmore recently posted..Cinnamon Sugar BiscottiMy Profile

Nicole December 7, 2012 at 10:06 pm

These toffee bites look Amazing!
Nicole recently posted..Andes Mint CookiesMy Profile

Shiloh Barkley December 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I love toffee. That’s it.
Shiloh Barkley recently posted..Pecan Pie CheesecakeMy Profile

Reeni December 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I need these in my life! That thick layer of toffee – I’m in total love!
Reeni recently posted..Peppermint Slice ‘n Bakes: Holiday Cookie Share with girlichef & McCormickMy Profile

carolinaheartstrings December 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Those look fantastic. I cannot wait to try this recipe.
carolinaheartstrings recently posted..HEATH PRETZEL STICKSMy Profile

Meg @ Sweet Twist December 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I am a big toffee fan as well. I think I put toffee bits in almost anything I can. :-P

Great idea using the brownie pan.
Meg @ Sweet Twist recently posted..12 Days of Christmas – Day 2 – Chocolate Malt Pudding Cookies with M&MMy Profile

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies December 9, 2012 at 7:47 am

I seriously can’t stop staring at that top picture. I want to bite into the corner of that toffee piece SO badly.
Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies recently posted..Dark Chocolate Cappuccino CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hahah, that’s how I feel about a bowl of toffee too…it’s just begging to be eaten!

Susan December 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Can you make these without the almonds? My children have nut allergies. They look delicious!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Sure thing! I make a batch or two every year with no nuts! Still delicious!

Jill December 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thank you for posting this recipe. Toffee is my husband’s favorite and I cannot wait to surprise him with this!

Amanda Cowan December 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Have a question. We’re talking some boiling hot candy here.. how do you pour the candy out without making a huge mess? I’ve made something similar (not this exact recipe) and you just dump it on the pan (or crushed walnuts/chocolate).

I love the way those pretty things look from the silicon, just wondering how to do that without wasting a bunch of mix or whatever.

Thanks!

Heidi @ Bits of Sunshine December 10, 2012 at 5:08 am

These look fantastic! I really cant wait to try them! I bet they would make fantastic christmas gifts!
Heidi @ Bits of Sunshine recently posted..Rolo Chip Christmas CookiesMy Profile

Mary December 10, 2012 at 10:21 am

I don’t know what I did wrong. I had at least 1/2 c of butter floating on top :(

aimee @ shugarysweets December 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh no Mary! Did you stir constantly? Not sure how that happened. Was it before/after the boiling process? I wish I was in your kitchen to see what happened! I know how frustrating it can be when something doesn’t work properly! Did you use a wooden spoon? Just checking some of the little things. Sorry.

Deborah Karen Fillmer November 28, 2013 at 11:52 am

This happened to me too! Is this supposed to be whipped as it is cooked? I “stirred” constantly and ended up with over 1/2 C butter floating on top. Also, it would really help if a temp was given for the toffee. I make candy often and having a specific temperature to remove from the heat really helps. Thanks!! (I am going to try these again after I get some idea of what went wrong. They look yummy!)
Deborah Karen Fillmer recently posted..New Projects and Fun SewingMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm

In the recipe above I stated cook to about 300 degrees. And yes, stir constantly while boiling. Hope this helps!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Cranberry Pistachio BiscottiMy Profile

Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 4:16 am

If you melt the butter to fast it causes it to separate like that. Just melt butter over a lower temp next time and it should turn out just fine.

leahjeansmom December 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love the idea of the small bites and not having to cut them. Also, a HUGE thanks for the room temp tip for the chocolate to not separate! I feel as though I am a novice with the silicone, though. do you have to spray it or coat it with anything for the toffee to pop out?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Nope, don’t spray the silicone! Once it has hardened and set up, the toffee will pop right out!

angie December 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

How do you cut the treats into perfect little squares without the toffee breaking or crumbling?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm

If you use the silicone brownie bite pan you don’t have to worry about cutting it and it comes out in those cute squares! Otherwise, if you pour it into an 11×7 you will get some breaking and crumbing…just comes with the territory!

Sarah December 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I see someone else asked about no juts – wondering what this tastes like? Is it hard to bite into or is it soft like fuge? Sorry I’m a novice baker as well. I’m thinking of omitting nuts for one batch & topping with mints or chocolate

aimee @ shugarysweets December 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

It’s a crunchy candy. Hard like a piece of toffee!! No nuts works just fine too!

Tammy December 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm

If you use the silicone pan is there a trick to pouring the mix into it? Do you spoon it in or pour? I can’t wait to make these!! :)

aimee @ shugarysweets December 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

I use a small metal cookie scoop to get the toffee into each bite! ENJOY.

Tammy December 11, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Oops I forgot to ask how many pieces does this recipe make with the brownie bite silicone pans? Thanks!!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

One pan has 24 bites…it should fill up the pan! ENJOY!

Sarah December 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

i tried making these today…but my butter mixture didn’t harden. and when i tried it…hours later after refrigerating the bottom mixture tasted like the sugar didn’t melt…i’m not sure what i did wrong!

Sarah December 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

and it didn’t get hard/crunchy like toffee. it’s really soft.

Sarah December 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm

it worked! just didn’t cook the butter & sugar long enough yesterday. mmmm delicious

aimee @ shugarysweets December 14, 2012 at 7:21 am

I’m so glad to hear it!!! I’ve undercooked several batches through the years, and they end up chewy, so I was pretty sure that was your case too! Glad you tried again :)

Tiffany December 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm

You should get a kick back from Wilton! Because I went right out and bought A) The stuff to make these yummy things and B) Two brownie bite pans! You rock! Thanks so much.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Haha. If only!! ENjoy the toffee!!!

Anne @ Have a Cookie! December 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love your idea of using the silicone mold. I love to make toffee but hate having to cut it up. Thanks for sharing!
Anne @ Have a Cookie! recently posted..A Dusting of SnowflakesMy Profile

Wanda Ann December 18, 2012 at 2:44 am

Congratulations for getting featured at I heart nap time. So was I so I stopped over to say hi and Merry Christmas.
Wanda Ann

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2012 at 6:39 am

Merry Christmas to you too Wanda Ann!!!

Kelly December 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

I’ve never made toffee so I’m unsure how much of a mess I have the potential to make here, lol! Will this work if I make this in a nonstick mini muffin pan? Or will it stick and not come out? I looked for silicone pans and they only had quite large gingerbread man molds :-/ I want them to be pretty when they’re finished.

Thanks :)

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

I wouldn’t put them in anything other than silicon or a foil-lined baking pan. Did you check out Michaels? That’s where I bought my silicone brownie bite pan (I know you can also buy it online)! Good luck!

Sarah December 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

@ Mary — i had the same problem just now.
the batch i made last week were great then this morning i had the butter floating on top so i tried again and it happened again. i tried both room temp and cold butter. i wonder if it cooked too long?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Sarah,
At what point did the butter separate? While stirring, you really need to be stirring quickly with a wooden spoon, if it starts to separate in the beginning before boiling, that’s okay. KEEP stirring. If it separates after it has boiled, and the color changed, you went too long. I hope this helps. I think I need to do a video on this one!!!

Eden December 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Excellent recipe. The first time I made it, I allowed it to get to dark and it taste burnt. 5 minutes was too long for me on high heat. It only took my stove top about 3-4 minutes on high heat for it to turn a beautiful almond color. Very crispy. I really, really am happy with this recipe. It didn’t make as much as I though it would so I doubled it. :)

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks Eden! I did add that the temperature should reach 300 degrees, I know some stovetops heat faster! I’m glad it worked out well for you! So delicious. And, I agree, it doesn’t make nearly enough! My husband and I usually make at least a dozen batches (sometimes more) over the course of the holidays to give to friends and family!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Candy Cane Oreo Cookies BarsMy Profile

Kristi @ CherryJasmine December 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

Looks delicious! I’ve pinned it for later – and plan to make it!
Kristi @ CherryJasmine recently posted..Raspberry Cream Cheese Crumb Cake with Chambord LiqueurMy Profile

Theresa December 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I saved your recipe this looks delicious! I am on the hunt for some new holiday treats. Now to find a recipe for a non nut fan! Off to look around some more.
Theresa recently posted..Sweet Recipe Swap #LinkUpMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

You could totally leave the nuts out of this recipe. I do that for my hubs every year! No almond, no walnut…still delicious!

Linsey December 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I have tried this 2 times and have had no luck. The first time my thermometer read 300 and it turned almond color but the butter separated and I really was whipping it. I poured it anyways in to the brownie bite pan, let it sit. There was butter on top and when I popped them out there was like grease on the bottom. It did not get hard like toffee. I tried again this morning and didn’t cook it as long (297) I poured it out again and now it tastes like a cube of sugar. It is not hard at all, but I had no separation in the pan with the butter. Can’t figure this out. Is it suppose to be like peanut brittle? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

karina December 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I was wondering what unblanched almonds are. Are they raw? Im looking forward to make your recipe they look delicious. Thank you.

Michelle October 6, 2013 at 10:02 am

I asked my husband, who is more knowledgeable than I am, and he said that blanched almonds are almonds that have been boiled. I noticed that all of the almonds that were in the nut section of my baking aisle were blanched. I went to the snack section and found a bag of whole, raw almonds – which didn’t say “unblanched” but, hubby said that since they were whole, and the skin was still on them, they *should* be unblanched.

Wendy December 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm

What are the white chocolate peppermint balls? Can you provide the recipe for them, also? They look delicious!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 21, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hi Wendy,
Those are my Easy Peppermint Cool Whip Truffles. Found here: http://www.shugarysweets.com/2012/12/easiest-ever-holiday-truffles-and-nambe-giveaway
Enjoy!

Rebekah December 22, 2012 at 5:09 am

Well I have made lots of candy and caramel but this was my first toffee…
At 250º the whole thing broke and I had butter and weird sugar separated. Total loss. I stirred constantly with a wooden spoon in a heavy bottom pan. Very sad. This is one of my favourites to eat.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Not sure why it separated. My husband and I are planning on making some more on Sunday, I told him we need to video tape the process and post it on here! Hopefully by mid next week I can have that done! Sorry it didn’t work out, I wish I knew why!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..So much to be Thankful forMy Profile

Rebekah December 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Thanks so much for responding. I tried again and it was a little better. I haven’t tasted a piece yet but it looks good. Do you use a candy thermometer in the pan? I felt like mine was getting in the way. Also my pan is quite big so maybe that is the problem. http://thermumdiaries.blogspot.com.au/

Michelle October 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

I LOVE the idea of video-taped tutorials! I just made my first batch (which, being a newbie, was also my first batch of toffee/candy in general!) and I think it cooked too long. It tastes kind of burnt. Letting them set up to get a final decision before wasting precious chocolate on them :)

Amanda Cowan December 22, 2012 at 10:01 am

I know the recipe called for a wooden spoon but I recall an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown says silicone is the best option for candy as being non-reactive. In my own experience, this sort of toffee never worked for me until I switched. Just my two cents though, since I do know dozens who have no issues with their wooden spoons.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’ve only ever used a wooden spoon, but I imagine silicone would work! It’s perfect for high heat! And I LOVE Alton Brown!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..So much to be Thankful forMy Profile

Kelly December 27, 2012 at 12:02 am

This is my new addiction! Thank you for the recipe! I’ve already made three batches, and I’m getting ready to make a triple batch tonight. I, too, have experienced the butter separation. Mine separates the second it starts to change colors (I’ve been watching closely, thinking I somehow missed a step). After this happens, I’ve been pulling mine off of the heat, draining off most of the excess butter, and then whipping again to mix back in any remaining butter as it cools slightly. This has been working for me. I don’t know how it compares to yours, but it still tastes fantastic!

Karina December 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Can you tell me what unblanched almonds are? Are they raw almonds?? Thanks.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 31, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hi Karina,
Yes, they are raw!! ENJOY!

marcie@flavor the moments February 8, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I’ve just found your site and I’m in heaven. I, too, love to bake, so I’m basically a kid in a candy store here. English toffee is a big favorite of mine, and I’m sure to make this at some point soon!

Cher February 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Can you tell me what kind of chocolate to buy? Can’t wait to make these!!

Mel June 3, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I’m excited to make these, they look so delicious! Question to all you candy makers, though: How long can you store toffee before it’s just not worth it? I got the airtight container part, but can you freeze them? I’m expecting a baby around that time and probably not going to be whipping up batches of candy for Christmas…

Stephanie June 21, 2013 at 1:45 am

Saw it. Made it. At midnight. Sooooooo good. Best easiest toffee I’ve ever made. Thank you!

Robin June 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm

When I make this recipe, I add the almonds to the toffe while cooking. I use a half cup of chocolate chips and spread them on top of the toffee after spreading it in the pan, while it is still hot. That melts the chocolate. No problem with separation while cutting!

aimee @ shugarysweets June 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm

great tips Robin, thank you!!

Laura@bakinginpyjamas July 11, 2013 at 6:20 am

That’s the best English toffee that I’ve ever seen. It looks delicious!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 11, 2013 at 7:02 am

Awww, thanks, you’re too sweet :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chicken Caesar PocketsMy Profile

Lara July 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I made these today and turn out ok but my toffee splited when I was pouring it in the silicone pan…I guess it took too long even thou I was trying to be as fast as I could. You mentioned that you avoid this by stiring with your metal scoop but that didn’t work for me. I put it back in the heat and kept stiring but no luck…I had to pour out all the butter and with the rest I did some more toffee. I still have to try if they turned out ok. With the brown butter I poured out I made chocolate chip cookies!! so nothing wasted there!!

Kelly July 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh my goodness! This recipe was delicious! I made it just as you suggested “whipping” the ingredients together constantly. It turned out perfectly on my first try. My husband is not crazy about chocolate, so I left that part out. He loved the toffee so much that they were all gone in 2 days! Thank you so much for the recipe. I’ll certainly make it again, and again!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 29, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed the toffee. Thank you so much for coming back and leaving feedback!! ENJOY!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough TrufflesMy Profile

Heather July 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thank you so much for having a recipe that doesn’t start with toffee bits! I cant get them where i live so this is amazing! I also love all things toffee

desiree August 4, 2013 at 5:05 pm

These look so good! I really want to make them but would like to avoid the cutting. I have a regular mini muffin tin, would that work?

Jed August 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I made two batches of these; one with regular chocolate and one with white chocolate. They turned out great! Thank you for the recipe. The silicone brownie bite pan is a great idea. I followed your instructions and proportions and they were spot on. I used a thick silicone spatula for stirring (whipping!) the toffee and a plastic 1 Tbsp measuring spoon for scooping the toffee into the molds in lieu of a metal scoop to avoid scratching my non-stick pan.

Burgundy August 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm

If you’re using the brownie bite pan, do you fill them all the way up with the toffee or leave room for the chocolate?

aimee @ shugarysweets September 25, 2013 at 7:23 am

Leave room for chocolate! Not much though!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Apple Pecan CupsMy Profile

Crisleyda September 7, 2013 at 11:31 am

are the almonds optional? because im allergic to almonds. or if there is anything i can use to replace them, it would be good to know :)

Michelle October 6, 2013 at 10:06 am

I read a comment above where the baker left out the almonds and the walnuts, and they turned out great! Good luck!

Renee September 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’ve never used kosher salt before. What is it, exactly, and where do I get it. Can I substitute regular table salt for the kosher salt? These look heavenly!

Renee

Jenn September 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

O.M.G. This looks AMAZING. I make toffee every year for the holidays, but I’ve never made it in a brownie bites pan. What a fantastic idea! They look professional like that! Darn it, now I want to go make this right now… :)

aimee @ shugarysweets September 16, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thanks Jenn! It definitely makes them look more presentable. The down side is, when I used to cut the big pan of toffee, little bits would crack off. We saved those for ice cream toppings :)

Renee September 16, 2013 at 10:20 am

Renee

aimee @ shugarysweets September 25, 2013 at 7:22 am

you can get kosher salt at the grocery store (right next to the table salt). It’s coarser and I love using it.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Apple Pecan CupsMy Profile

Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm

This might sound silly nutty if the toffee is completely cooled, how does the chocolate layer melt?

aimee @ shugarysweets September 25, 2013 at 7:21 am

you melt the chocolate first before spreading it on.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Apple Pecan CupsMy Profile

Kait September 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Oops sorry I meant but*

lily October 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm

what type of salt is used,can any salt be used

Michelle October 6, 2013 at 10:08 am

I asked this question on her Facebook post, this was her reply: Shugary Sweets kosher salt is not as fine as regular salt, so I would use about half the amount listed in the recipe.

Hope that helps! :)

Fran October 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Do you think I can use margarine instead of butter?

Luv What You Do October 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

What an awesome idea to use your brownie bite pan! These look fantastic!!!

Stef October 20, 2013 at 7:34 am

So, when you say cool completely, do you mean in the fridge or room temperature?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Either way is fine!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Cranberry Pistachio BiscottiMy Profile

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes October 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Oh man! This sounds easy and fun! I need to find some of these brownie trays you speak of..

The Little Helper November 4, 2013 at 9:28 pm

These look amazing! And I love the helpful tip on the brownie-bite pan. I have been nervous to use silicone, but I think I am finally going to have to cave! I hope you don’t mind, but I shared this on my FB page at

Anonymous November 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Grrrrrr mine separated before it turned brown. Not sure what happened

Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Do you mean the butter separated a little bit? Mine did too. Just give it a good stir and pour the mixture into a pan and the butter goes back into the rest of the mixture.

Tami November 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I made this today and loved it! It tastes so good and was really easy. I gave some of my batch to my friend who has been having a bad week and she absolutely loved it too. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Kasey November 13, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I am so excited to try these! I even went and bought the pan from Michaels. I am so OCD when it comes to making my candy for the holidays!! Why did I never think to use that adorable pan???

Dorothy November 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Just made this toffee for the first time and it turned out wonderfully. I would only change one thing instead of whole almonds I would use chopped coarsely.

marissa November 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I’ve made 4 batches and not one came out right. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong? The toffee will not harden at all. So I started over and cooked it longer and it just turned into a foam mixture any tips?

aimee @ shugarysweets November 18, 2013 at 7:41 am

If the toffee is not hardening, it’s not cooking long enough. It literally will go from light butter colored to light brown (almond colored) in seconds. Once it turns, you need to remove from heat. While it’s cooking and getting to the right temperature, it will be foaming.

Kay nelson December 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Question, can I just use a dark costing mini muffin tin? Or what about using the little liners? Looking forward to making this.

Carin December 4, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi there! So, I just made these… Actually not even done yet…. My question (or concern) is as I wiped off some of the drizzle off the sides of the brownie bite pan and tasted it, it seemed as though I could feel/taste the sugar crystals? Like they hadn’t fully dissolved? But holy cow, I whipped that stuff on 7 for the length of time you said! It tasted delicious. I guess I have to see when it is all finished, but wondering if you had any insight! (my first time making candy)

Marlene Mueller December 5, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hi Amy-I have to tell you after reading some of the comments on these, I was a little hesitant to try them, but I forged ahead. I ordered 2 of the silicone pans on Amazon last night, but could not wait to get them to try these. I had a set of 12 standard silicone muffin liners, and thought I would try the recipe with these. It was SO easy and everything came out beautifully. I just put about 1/4 inch of mixture in each liner. After cooling, they just popped out. I had a little mixture left over, so just put it on to a silicone pan. They are SCRUMPTIOUS!! I followed the recipe exactly, using a candy thermometer to 300 degrees and used a silicone spatula to constantly mix it. I will have to try this on my old high school friends, because a few years ago I had some toffee at a get-together for them. I did not want to serve it because I had done something wrong and it was too chewy and stuck to your teeth. The girls said to serve it anyway, and all of a sudden one girl came up to me and said she was going to have to leave because one of her false front teeth had come out while she was eating it. I was trying to act concerned, but hon estly I was dying laughing on the inside. Well, thanks to your recipe, this won’t ever happen again. Yours was the same consistency as some I used to buy in a fine candy shop. Thanks for the recipe, and have yourself “A Merry Little Christmas”!

Amanda December 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I cannot find a brownie bite pan up here in Canada, wondering if it would work to use a mini muffin pan lined with small baking cups?? Thanks!!!

Jasmin December 7, 2013 at 5:40 am

Just wondering, can I give these for christmaspresent. I have a suprise to my man, when I’m leaving for a month to other side of the world :(
So my main point was, do these survive in roomwarm, or do these need a freezer? It will be in presentbox about a week :S Sorry my bad english, I’m from sweden :P

Karen Wood December 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Oooo another awesome looking recipe with from scratch ingredients.

cheryl December 8, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Hi,
Love This Recipe!!! I made these last year they were awesome. my only question is can you refrigerate days or does it change the consistency of them? same question for the freezer, can you freeze them?
I would like to make them about 10 days before giving them away as gifts but I’m sure if they will become rancid. thank you for your help.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 10, 2013 at 6:59 am

I like to keep them at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I don’t think I would freeze them. 10 days would be totally fine! Just make sure to keep them in an airtight container!

Julie December 13, 2013 at 7:58 pm

What are the white truffle type cookies in the bottom picture?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Those are easy Cool Whip Truffles
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Cheesy Sweet and Sour MeatballsMy Profile

cupcakekiller702 December 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

If you do use a silicone brownie pan, how many pans does this one batch need? It seems much tidier.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm

One batch will fill one silicone brownie pan (the kind that has 24 individual bites).

Amelia December 18, 2013 at 6:13 pm

this sounds amazing i can’t wait to make it. just wondering, when we cool it should we refrigerate it or just allow it to sit at room temperature?

aimee @ shugarysweets December 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Room temperature! ENJOY.

Ashleigh December 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Just made these as homemade Christmas gifts. Thanks to your great directions, they turned out perfect and will be such a treat to give. Thanks a million!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 19, 2013 at 7:43 am

So glad to hear it Ashleigh!! Thanks for stopping back over!

nicole December 19, 2013 at 10:51 am

Can I substitute the margarin for all butter?

Julie December 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’m wondering the same thing. We do not use margarine. I’m thinking of maybe trying coconut oil and butter.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 20, 2013 at 11:59 am

Using a combination of margarine and butter helps keep the butter from separating! I haven’t used coconut oil, let me know if it works.

Emily J December 20, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Does this recipe work if you use all butter and no margarine? I really dislike margarine cuz it’s fake. Id rather use the real stuff. Thanks!

Lori December 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

This looks so yummy! I have a question though, can all butter be used instead of butter and margarine?
Thank you so much! ; )

aimee @ shugarysweets December 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm

You can. But it can separate, whereas using half margarine keeps it combined better.

Annie December 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’m wondering the reason you use butter and margarine. Can’t you just use all butter?

Annie December 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Sorry, didn’t read the prior answers. I would risk it myself, as margarine is so very bad for you. I want to try this also sugar free, using xylitol.

Michelle December 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm

So, this really doesn’t take brown sugar? I followed the instructions perfectly, but the mixture never turned to the color of almonds. Still pretty yellow-ish. It is setting up now. Hoping it turns out well.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 25, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hi Michelle, if its still yellow then it didnt cook long enough. Once it begins to change colors, it happens fast!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Christmas Cookie CakeMy Profile

Lindsey December 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I am making these now for a party and am really excited about them! You mentioned in response on earlier posts that the Margarine helps keep the butter from separating. Is the separation a problem when pouring into a large pan (vs scooping into the brownie bites pan)? Also, do you grease the foiled lined pan at all? Thanks so much for the great recipe!

Mary January 1, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Tried the toffee — doubled the batch and used tempered white chocolate on top (as a gift for a non-chocolate lover) — truly amazing!

Beth January 22, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I have to say this is the best recipe I’ve tried for toffee, but I will say I used a 8×8 pan foiled line pan and it came out thin, so next time I make it I will double if not triple the recipe . I just finished making them today , I really stired it and even whipped it and they came out great. Any body new trying this stir it the whole time so you won’t have a problem with it ( I didn’t thank God ) I do recommend as soon as you pour it in the pan soak that pan in really hot water and and spoons you used the candy hardens fast and if you don’t soak it immediately its hard to clean . Enjoy I know I did.

Jenny January 24, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Made these over the holidays and everyone loved them. Silicone was a great idea. They popped out so easy!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm

So glad to hear it :)

Nicole, RD March 21, 2014 at 7:11 am

English Toffee is, hands down, my favorite dessert. And I need it portion controlled (and adorable!) like this!
Nicole, RD recently posted..Crispy Baked Chicken with Egg and Arugula SaladMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 21, 2014 at 9:02 am