Butterscotch Shortbread Bars

Butterscotch Shortbread Bars: browned butter and butterscotch chips give these classic shortbread cookies BIG flavor! #shortbread #butterscotch www.shugarysweets.com

Here’s the thing friends. Shortbread cookies can be very addicting.

Butterscotch Shortbread cookies? Well, let’s just say I warned you.

Shortbread cookies are one of the easiest cookies to make. But for some reason, these gave me a little bit of a challenge. See normally, I make the dough, wrap it in saran wrap, chill it, slice and bake.

But today I was a little hurried. And I browned the butter (something I don’t usually do with shortbread cookies). I wanted to infuse a little extra butterscotch flavor into these, so browning the butter had to be done. But the dough wasn’t ‘right’. And I didn’t want to chill it (did I mention I was in a hurry?). So instead of throwing it out, I did what any genius baker would do. I added an egg.

Seriously, I had no idea if it would work or not (I don’t normally put eggs in my shortbread).

IT WORKED. And these cookies are amazing. Please trust me. Here they are all sliced and purrrttyyy for you (yes, I ate the corners. Had to taste test before photo ops).Okay. So you’re trying to eat healthy. These are great stored in the freezer too! You can just pull one or two out for dessert! I mean, you need to reward yourself with cookies, right? Hmmm, maybe that’s why I can’t lose weight!!

Love Butterscotch? Love Shortbread? Here are a few other fun recipes:

Triple Chip Revel Bars: fudgy cookie bars made with butterscotch, dark chocolate and milk chocolate morsels

Butterscotch Marshmallow Bars: Ooey, gooey delicious butterscotch and chocolate bars (and marshmallow, duh)!

Butterscotch Marshmallow Bars from www.shugarysweets.com

Triple Chocolate Caramel Butterscotch Bread: The name says it all, easy to make and even easier to eat!

Triple Chocolate Caramel Butterscotch Bread from www.shugarysweets.com

Simple Shortbread Cookies: sandwich two classic shortbread cookies with Nutella

Jingles Cookies: shortbread cookies with anise extract (copycat Jingles)- can use any color sprinkles for year round enjoyment!

Jingles cookies from www.shugarysweets.com

Never miss another Shugary update! Connect with Shugary Sweets here:

Facebook | Twitter | BlogLovin | Pinterest | Instagram | Google+

Butterscotch Shortbread Bars

Yield: 45 small bars

Butterscotch shortbread bars, classic and delicious.

• 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup butterscotch morsels

1. In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, melt butter. Bring to a boil and allow to brown for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter with powdered sugar, mix completely. Add flour and salt. Mix together (will be crumbly). Add in egg and butterscotch, mix until completely combined.
  3. Line a 15x10x1 baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on baking sheet and press (with palms of hand) to about 1/4 inch thick. Shape into a rectangle (doesn't have to touch side of pan). Mine was about 12x10.
  4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool about 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, make slices into cookies about 3inch x 1inch. Don't separate, allow to cool completely.
  5. When cooled, separate cookie bars (using knife if necessary). Store in air tight container for one week. ENJOY!

Linked To: What’s Cookin

33 Responses to “Butterscotch Shortbread Bars”

1. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I’m such a fool for butterscotch. Love these!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thanks Cassie. I could put butterscotch in anything and love it!!

2. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I think I just died and went to heaven!!! Finally, an incredible butterscotch recipe…and as a shortbread bar – even better!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

Carol, you need to try this! I think you really will find this recipe is from heaven :)

3. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

These definitely look delicious, Aimee! I heart butterscotch in everything and this shortbread looks perfect!

4. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I love shortbread and the addition of butterscotch sounds amazing! I love when you think a recipe won’t turn out and it turns out delicious :)

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hi Lisa! I’ve had my share of fails in creating recipes, but was so excited that this one worked!

5. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Butterscotch and me, we are BFFs. Um, I think that I need these. Which is why I can’t lose weight either….

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

I’ve been back at the gym for the New Year, but then I come home and eat half a dozen cookies. Sad.

6. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I adore shortbread and have never made butterscotch shortbread! I’ve also never tried your method of rolling out the dough. Fun and delicious!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Bars are so fun. I didn’t really use a roller though, I just pressed it with my fingers and palms of my hands! The dough is too sticky for a rolling pin (I think).

7. posted Jan 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

What a great idea – these are so simple but the texture looks great! Glad you pushed through and didn’t give up on them!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

Agreed! I was happy the egg didn’t change the texture of shortbread (or give it a weird taste). It just helped bind the dough together!! Thanks for stopping by!

8. Ala
    posted Jan 7, 2013 at 2:45 am

I spent all day eating my friends’ leftover and unwanted butterscotch Sees’ hard candies…needless to say, you have me convinced that I have not yet met my butterscotch quota yet. Must give this a try! I’ll be making homemade Twix soon, and I think this would make a great crust.

9. posted Jan 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

Butterscotch is one of my favorites!! And I am with you on the whole eating sweets and not loosing any weight…that’s got to be my problem. But with bars this delicious around, how can you say no?

10. posted Jan 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love butterscotch, but never tried it with shortbread! I bet these are irresistible, how you could you stop with the corners!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:30 am

Oh I only stopped at the corners BEFORE the photo. No stopping after the pictures were done!

11. posted Jan 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

I loveee shortbread, and the addition of butterscotch is genius! I somehow always forget that I need to chill shortbread dough and then get so mad when I realize I can’t bake them right away haha Good to know that the egg worked!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:30 am

That darn chilling factor!! Yep, the egg was my little miracle worker!

12. Liz
    posted Jan 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

Happy New Year Aimee! I love shortbread and never thought to add butterscotch to it – sounds delish! I’m back from holidays and can’t wait to catch up on all my favorite blogs – yours included!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hope you had a nice holiday!!! Glad you are back (and stopping by)!

13. posted Jan 7, 2013 at 5:39 pm

ok, i’m convinced, I don’t bake with butterscotch nearly enough. and judging by the drool dripping down my chin looking at this recipe and these photos — I obviously have to change that!!

• posted Jan 8, 2013 at 7:32 am

Haha. I love butterscotch. Seriously I could bake with it daily. That and lemon.

14. posted Jan 8, 2013 at 2:17 pm

OH goodness, another yummy one to try! Thank you!!

15. KC
    posted Jan 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Looks so yummy! I love butterscotch.

16. posted Jan 11, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Lose weight? LOL. I’ve done nothing but gain since I started blogging. :-) The calories would be totally worth it in these shortbread bars, though. And with butterscotch?!?! Squeeeee, yes please!

17. MayBe
    posted Feb 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Oh so yummy!!! Just made it and our house is deliciously smelling good! Thanks a lot!!

18. Deb G.
    posted Mar 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Do you think these would work using Splenda?

19. J-Man
    posted Jan 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

OK, I tried these and maybe I did something wrong, but the dough was definitely not “crumbly” after I added the flour. So I kept adding more flour until it got to “crumbly.” The end result was OK, but a little dry. Did I do something wrong? I’m willing to give them another try because they did taste good, it was just the texture that was an issue.