Homemade Peppermint Patties

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 31, 2013

Homemade Peppermint Patties: why buy from the store when you can make these minty treats at home! #copycat #peppermintpatty

Homemade Peppermint Patties- shape these in traditional discs or make them as a football treat! #gameday #copycat #peppermintpatty www.shugarysweets.com

Homemade Peppermint Patties. Not just any Peppermint patties either…how about if I made them in the shape of footballs? Apparently there is a big game this weekend? Yeah, I wouldn’t know much about it. I will be at a swim meet. Seriously. Some genius decided Superbowl weekend is the perfect weekend for a swim meet. We will be there from morning until around 9pm. Jealous?

Don’t worry about me, and my whining. I’ve made up for not being able to go to a Superbowl party. I’ve been creating treats and snacks ALL WEEK. I’ve enjoyed my fair share of guacamole, chips and salsa, Reese’s Dip and more! And these little football truffles? Yeah, they’re almost gone too! Shhhh, don’t tell, but I saved a few for the swim coaches, to thank them for all their time (I’m sure some of them would rather be sitting in front of a TV eating nachos)!

But, back to the Peppermint patties. I found this recipe to make homemade patties on Tasty Kitchen. I slightly altered some of the ingredient amounts, and changed the preparation instructions to cut out some time for you. Originally the recipe said to make the filling. Chill it for a few hours. Then shape it and chill again for a few hours. I skipped that first chilling step with NO problems.

The inside of these candies are so soft, I would say the exact texture of a peppermint patty!

And who wouldn’t love to see a plate of these on the dessert table this weekend? Perfect to give you fresh breath after salsa, nachos and pizza!

Are you following me on Pinterest yet?

Want more candy ideas? Check out my Fudge, Truffles and candy board

Want more football snack and treat ideas? Check out my GAME DAY board

Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Homemade Peppermint Patties

Yield: 5-6 dozen

• 1 jar (7oz) marshmallow cream (Fluff)
  • 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 5 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 pkg (16oz) chocolate Candiquik (chocolate candy coating)
  • 1 cup vanilla Candiquik (almond bark)- optional for footballs

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream, butter, and extracts until fully combined. Add in powdered sugar and mix on medium speed until well blended (may take a couple minutes for it to come together).
  2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using about 1 Tbsp of filling, shape into a ball, then flatten it for the traditional shape. If wanting to make footballs, shape into a ball and then pinch the ends. Continue until all filling is used. Cover with saran wrap and freeze for about 2 hours (or overnight).
  3. Melt chocolate Candiquik according to package directions. Using a toothpick, dip frozen peppermints into the chocolate. Tap until all the excess has dripped off and place back on the parchment paper. Repeat until all peppermints have been coated. These should be set within minutes, because you are doing them while still cold. Store at room temperature in a covered container!
  4. If making footballs, melt vanilla Candiquik according to package directions. Pour into a small ziploc bag and cut the corner off. Pipe laces onto footballs. Sets within minutes! ENJOY!

Linked To: Chic and Crafty  I’m Lovin It  Wrap Up  Sundae Scoop  Talent Show  Trick or Treat

Eva @ Eva Bakes January 31, 2013 at 3:03 pm

These are adorable! I just had a peppermint patty for lunch today and would love to start making these on my own. Thank you for the recipe and inspiration!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Healthy fudge browniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm

You’re welcome Eva! I love sharing copycat recipes, I hope you try this one!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations January 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm

What a great idea! Love the little footballs :)
Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations recently posted..White Chocolate Macadamia CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Regina. I wanted to do a football truffle this year, these turned out perfect!

Carolyn January 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Funny, I just made some peppermint patties yesterday…but the football ones are so cute!
Carolyn recently posted..Roasted Garlic Chicken Soup – Low Carb and Gluten-FreeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm

How fun Carolyn, was your recipe similar???

Carolyn January 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Not in the least, since mine was sugar-free. But same general idea! Still, love the football idea, that’s fantastic.

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 31, 2013 at 3:26 pm

They look phenomenal and so beautiful! You have the steadiest hands to work with these little things! Such a great job on these!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..January 2013 RecipesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Averie. I can keep my hand steady for something small like this. But ask me to do a wedding cake and I’m out of my element. Totally not my deal!!

Liz January 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm

So cute! Not watching football either – not a fan! I’ll be staying in and eating all the goodies :)
Liz recently posted..Mixed Fruit Baked OatmealMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Oh the football snacks. I love that table. Hehe

Ali | Gimme Some Oven January 31, 2013 at 4:27 pm

These are so cute!!! I LOVE peppermint patties!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Ali!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 31, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I love these! Peppermint Patties are one of my favorite candies. I am making something with peppermint this weekend, but now I want to just make these!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts recently posted..Thursday Things & GiveawayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Oooh, whatcha makin?? I love peppermint.

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry January 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm

How cute are these?! They would liven up any football spread.
Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry recently posted..Smoky Ranch DipMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Nicole, I think so too!

JulieD January 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Oh my goodness so cute!!
JulieD recently posted..Cheddar Bacon Onion SlidersMy Profile

Sarah January 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Good lord, do I love a peppermint pattie. This could be….dangerous.
Sarah recently posted..Sweet Rice Pudding & Poached Pears – A RecipeMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 31, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I do love peppermint patties! Those football shaped ones are simply adorable!!! At least you will have your iPad to keep you company and up to date on the score at the swim meet :-)
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Mocha Cappuccino Puppy ChowMy Profile

Amy Tong January 31, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love peppermint patties and these in the football shape ones are just so cute and festive. :)
Amy Tong recently posted..Matcha Shortbread Cookies (抹茶酥餅)for Chinese New Year 恭喜發財!My Profile

Jenn@eatcakefordinner January 31, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I tried to make some homemade peppermint patties last year (a different recipe) and they didn’t turn out so great. Your recipe sounds much better and your picture is amazing!
Jenn@eatcakefordinner recently posted..Copycat Panda Express Chow MeinMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Jenn. They honestly taste JUST like a York. No joke.

Glory/ Glorious Treats January 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Saw this this morning, and they looked so good I just had to make them! Just enjoyed a couple, and the kids and hubby approve too! Now I just need to “hide” the rest so I don’t eat them all tonight! =)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Dang girl you are quick! So glad you are enjoying them, thanks for stopping back over here and letting me know, Glory!

Kalamity Kelli January 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm

You have no idea how happy I am to see this (and that I have all the ingredients needed)! This is my husband’s favorite candy and he will be thrilled when I surprised him tomorrow afternoon with them! Thank you!
Kalamity Kelli recently posted..Chicken Wings Three Ways and a Bonus!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Let me know how it turns out!! Can’t wait to hear how thrilled he was about this! ENJOY.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 31, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Oh em gee, Aimee! These patties are super cute! The boys would LOVE these for game day on Sunday. Maybe I’ll dip the footballs in red and gold chocolate for the niners :)
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Red Velvet Cookies n Cream Magic BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

Oh, the Niners are playing :) Hehe, I seriously would have no clue. Or what their colors are!!!

Ashley @ kitchen meets girl January 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I am IN LOVE. That is all.
Ashley @ kitchen meets girl recently posted..What’s In Your Kitchen WednesdayMy Profile

MaryLou January 31, 2013 at 8:52 pm

These look fantastic! Can’t wait to try them. Lucky you going to a swim meet, my daughter swam for 10 years. I miss it. :(

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I think one day I may look back and say I miss it too. We have all made some great friendships through swimming!

sally @ sallys baking addiction January 31, 2013 at 8:59 pm

pinch me. :) I must be dreaming. You jsut made my very favorite chocolate candy at home Aimee!! I am LOVING this and can’t wait to try them out for myself. I seriously LOVE peppermint patties and the footballs? How incredibly adorable!
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..triple chocolate chip cookies.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thanks Sally! I hope you try them and let me know how they compare to a York! I think it’s pretty close, except maybe dipping them in dark chocolate instead of chocolate coating!

heather January 31, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I make these all the time and everyone loves them. I make mine with condensed milk and pepermint oil. I also use the wilton pepermint flavored candy melts. i am interested to try this recipe to see how different it tastes.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) January 31, 2013 at 9:17 pm

whaaa!? You’re crazy! This is awesome!

Holly January 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Aimee, these are the cutest!!! Love love!!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm

That’s just wrong! Don’t the dads want to watch the game? Or do they stick the moms with meet duty? LOVE the peppermint patty footballs. OMG so cute!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Heart Healthy Chocolate MousseMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:22 am

Definitely more mom’s will be there Sunday than dads. And the dad’s will be sitting in the gym with their mobile devices and laptops, haha!!!

Jess January 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I can’t wait to try these! My favorite dessert, and I’ve always wondered about making them myself.
Jess recently posted..Mango Yogurt MousseMy Profile

Heather @French Press January 31, 2013 at 10:57 pm

These are so much better than football cake pops; I LOVE peppermint patties
Heather @French Press recently posted..Dark Chocolate PuddingMy Profile

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings January 31, 2013 at 11:00 pm

oh man these look so good! And super fun to footballize them
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings recently posted..What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party: Chips and Dip FeaturesMy Profile

Olivia Lane January 31, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Heya, I found you via Tidy Mom. These are too cute! I love the footballs! My boyfriend made a vegan version of peppermint patties for me with confectioners sugar, brown rice syrup, and semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. Homemade candy is the best!
Olivia Lane recently posted..What I Wore Wednesday: The Teal DealMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

Homemade candy is the best :) Totally agree! Glad you popped over!

Ashton January 31, 2013 at 11:41 pm

You are so amazing!
Ashton recently posted..30 Candy RecipesMy Profile

Gwyneth February 1, 2013 at 1:21 am

Oh YUM!!! I have a bag of slightly stale marshmallows…wonder if/how they would work.

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

I’m not sure, to be honest. You would need to melt them down, but once melted they aren’t the exact consistency of marshmallow cream. Maybe add some corn syrup? Let me know what you try!!

Carol | a cup of mascarpone February 1, 2013 at 7:39 am

I have such a major weakness for peppermint patties! These look absolutely wonderful, Aimee!
Carol | a cup of mascarpone recently posted..limoncello mini bundt cakes with limoncello glazeMy Profile

Pamela February 1, 2013 at 8:55 am

Aimee your have out done yourself this time! My kiddies will love these, putting on my to bake list! Thanks for sharing!
Pamela recently posted..Heavenly Treats Friday FeaturesMy Profile

Kelly@ Here Comes the Sun February 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

These look amazing and oh so adorable! I am in love with your blog and all your tasty treats.
Kelly@ Here Comes the Sun recently posted..21 Game Day RecipesMy Profile

Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

They’re so cute! I love that they’re not that difficult to make. :)

I don’t like football but scheduling a swim meet on Super Bowl Sunday? Wow…
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Whole Wheat Stuffed Cheese BunsMy Profile

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 1, 2013 at 9:54 am

So darn cute! And delicious….
Sommer@ASpicyPerspective recently posted..2013 Annual SponsorsMy Profile

Jess @ OnSugarMountain February 1, 2013 at 10:44 am

OMG I don’t even like Peppermint Patties and I want to eat these. They are adorable! I’m so sorry you can’t enjoy the Superbowl; though really all your missing is a bunch of yelling at the TV. ;) At least in my house anyways. Oh and maybe some chili, but you could have that any old time.

Have a nice weekend!
Jess @ OnSugarMountain recently posted..Sweetheart Strawberry FudgeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Haha you crack me up! You can do any filling if you like, maybe the easy oreo truffle or a buckeye filling?

a farmer in the dell February 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm

these are too cute! what a great recipe for the big game!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thank you! And you could make them in a heart shape for valentine’s day too….just sayin ;)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Oh my goodness, these are so FUN!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel February 1, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I want these so much. One of my fav treats. And how cute are those footballs?!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel recently posted..Cajun Chicken PizzaMy Profile

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme February 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm

So clever! And I love your presentation! :)
Jennifer @ Mother Thyme recently posted..White Bean and Roasted Red Pepper DipMy Profile

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch February 2, 2013 at 10:15 am

I could eat a dozen of these! Beautiful!
Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch recently posted..Broccoli Slaw RecipeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

thanks Robyn, no worries, I ate your share!

Leigh Anne@Yourhomebasedmom.com February 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Totally love these as little footballs – almost too cute to eat!!
I’d love for you to come over and share at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party

Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings February 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

HI, I always see your pins on Pinterest because we share a group board :) Love your stuff, and hope to satisfy my sweet tooth here often! I’ve temporarily (stress on temporarily) cut back on refined sugar, but that doesn’t mean I will not indulge again one day or get my daily does of inspiration from here :) After all, I’m a sweets kind of girl ;)
Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings recently posted..Market Mediterranean PizzaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jen! I love your blog :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chicago Deep Dish PizzaMy Profile

Holly Lefevre February 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Peppermint patties are a favorite in our hose. I really want to make them ourselves!
Holly Lefevre recently posted..Mason Jar Valentine Vases (14 Days of Crafting Love)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

You should totally do it!! Although, dark chocolate would be more authentic for the peppermint patties (I just didn’t want the footballs to be too dark :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chicago Deep Dish PizzaMy Profile

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com February 6, 2013 at 12:35 am

Those are seriously the cutest. thing. ever. :)

aimee @ shugarysweets February 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Ginger!! I had fun making them too!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chicago Deep Dish PizzaMy Profile

Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life February 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Oh, WOW, Yum. Seriously, York Peppermint Patties are the only candy bar I cannot pass up. And now I can make my own. Maybe that isn’t a good thing because I’m the only one in my family that like chocolate with mint, but I’m going to make them anyway. Thanks for sharing. I found you at the What’s Cookin’ Wednesday link party. Have a great day.

aimee @ shugarysweets February 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It can be good and bad, I completely agree!! So glad you stopped over!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor February 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

Aimee– these look incredible! YUM. I’m such a peppermint patty fan…these are going on my list! :)

Mrs Deer February 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Just adorable and unique! So creative!! And I love peppermint!

Audra | The Baker Chick February 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Of all the candies- peppermint patties are my favorite- how didn’t I know until now that they are so easy to make- and those footballs are to die for cute. I will bookmark them for football season!!
Audra | The Baker Chick recently posted..No-Knead Crusty Artisan BreadMy Profile

Karen February 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

My ex used to make the white cream center at York Peppermint Company where they originated in York, Pa. before they were bought out by Hershey Company and moved to Mexico. He came home smelling like peppermint! lol

Linda February 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love these! Was just wondering if I could substitute raspberry extract for the peppermint. I was going to make a batch of each for those that don’t care for peppermint.

Sue-ellen Bauer February 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I was considering making easter eggs from them…bet it would beat cadbury’s candy eggs. Using vanilla candiquick on the outside as well..and use festive pastel colors to decorate an egg shapped patty. Something to ponder..

aimee @ shugarysweets March 1, 2013 at 6:48 am

Sounds totally cute!!!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm March 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Oooo, these look delicious! I’m thinking that I’ll have to try using melted semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the candy coating since I haven’t been able to find peanut-free candy coating so far.

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:37 am

Semi sweet will work just fine, or a dark chocolate works too!

pam April 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Having a hard time setting up my own page so I can like and save. i just can’t figure it out I keep trying . Instead of having to go to each recipe and download it . why can’t I just save it to a folder or my own page errrg. please. help

Laura May 20, 2013 at 7:14 am

Quick question. Your instructions are to refrigerate 3 hours or overnight and then it says to dip FROZEN patters in chocolate. Are they really from freezer or just refrigerator? Making for a baby shower! The dad is all about football and these are adorable! My daughters favorite candy growing up were pappermint patties so I think she will be pleased! Thanks

aimee @ shugarysweets May 20, 2013 at 7:20 am

Sorry I just updated the recipe! I used to refrigerate and then dip them. But I found freezing them for 2 hours works best. The chocolate coating hardens quicker and the patty (or football) stays in shape!! ENJOY!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough TrufflesMy Profile

Anonymous October 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Can these be made into truffles for gifts?

Sam M. | Atkinson Drive October 25, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Looks yummy! I’d love for you to join the Pinworthy Projects party! http://www.atkinsondrive.com/pinworthy-projects-link-party-12/

Rachel December 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Can’t wait to make these! Do these have to stay refrigerated though? And how long do they last? (If they’re not eaten immediately that is! :D

aimee @ shugarysweets December 10, 2013 at 7:04 am

They don’t have to stay refrigerated. I would say a week (or two) would be fine!! ENJOY :)

Renee February 12, 2014 at 7:05 am

Hi there,
I am from Australia and just wanted to know if you can purchase marshmallow cream and Candyquik ( I have no idea what that is) here in Australia or something similar.
Thanks

Allison February 13, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Peppermint patties are among my favorite candies. I look forward to trying this recipe. Making them into footballs is such a cute idea!
Allison recently posted..Mastering Disney World’s New FastPass+ SystemMy Profile